Popular Tags: [View All]
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love playing Fairy Tale with 4 Players, but found 2 Players dry. It took me a little to figure out why, then I realised the reason... You don't see enough of the deck to make any real decisions in a 2 player game, where in a 4 player game you see a much wider range of cards. A 2 player game also lets you know exactly what cards your opponent has choosen, 4 player game, there's no way to be sure who took what (and why...).

My possible solution:

Deal out 4 hands of 5 cards. Each player picks up one pile, chooses a card as normal. Then, of the two untouched hands, 1 card is choosen randomly and discarded. Pass all of the hands (right or left depending on the draft) and choose a card. Each player should now be looking at a hand that no one has seen yet. Again, discard one random card from the hands between the players, all the hands should have the same number of cards. Keep choosing and passing until each player has 5 cards.

Basically, you end up with 2 simulated players choosing their draft. I imagine 1 extra hand would work just as well, although bringing more cards into the game is more the point.

My reasoning:

Dealing out a full set of 4 cards puts more cards in play.
Randomly discarding a card between players adds a bit of mystery. There's no way to be sure what cards your opponent choose if two randomly selected cards are discarded before the hand returns to you.

I'm sure there's a better way of describing this. It's kind of like the mystery draft system in a 2 player Citadel's game (although you don't get to choose which cards are discarded). I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I think in theory it should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action
United States
Hickory
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I tried out this variant tonight. It sounded very interesting in theory. In practice, I found that it takes a lot of the intimacy away from a two player game. You're not playing against your opponent as much...you're more trying to grow your hand instead of trying to defeat your opponent. Although I totally agreed with the theory and still think that it makes for an interesting play. Just not quite as engaging as the standard rules. That was just our opinion anyway. It's better than any variant I could've come up with!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.