BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Conventions » Essen

Subject: Games I played at Spiel rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a few mini reviews of the games I played today. Please add your own!

Nation

I ran into the table right after entering the hall. I'd heard some positive noises about it and it sounded interesting, so I decided to give it a try.
For a civilization/nation building game, I expected a map, to be honest. Despite the lack of a map, it was fun.

Lots of different strategies possible, and my military strategy paid off. Despite the lack of a map, I conquered Nubia, Macedonia, Tibet and I think Greenland. I besieged Troy and fought at some other places that slipped from my mind. I didn't really manage to start an actual war, because every time I was in the right position to play a devastating war, the player with the weakest military would play a war that affected nobody, and you can't play a second war in the same turn. Clearly, if you want to hurt people with a war, you need to play it as your first action in the turn.

So that was a bit lame. Also, made Greenland/Tibetan empire made little geographic sense. I still considered buying it, because it's a kind of game I don't have yet. I don't have this kind of game yet because it doesn't usually appeal to me, but this one does. English version was already sold out in 1.5 hours, though, so I guess I won't buy it.

Kingdom builder

By the guy who made Dominion! At least this nation-building game has a map. Only the end result doesn't really look or feel much like a kingdom. I mean, I basically put a bunch of villages next to existing towns and castles that aren't mine and that I'm sharing with the other players, and that's supposed to be a kingdom?

By putting villages next to castles you score points, and by putting them next to towns, you acquire the power to put more villages on the board. The horse-mounted villages add a weird sense of mobility to your settlements that was pretty cool, but not entirely appropriate to the theme.

(Edit: I really feel I need to add a bit more content here. The game was really quick. Also, it does have a Dominion-like extreme replayability: you draw three cards for extra ways to score points. These are the same for everybody, but different every game, making every game different in the strategies you need to pursue. Also, I think both Nation and Kingdom Maker would be improved if they swapped names.)

I had fun, I won again, again considered buying, and again didn't.

Clearly I needed something more thematic, so I went off to play...

Firefly: the board game

Holy thematic thoroughness, Batman! This game does everything you could possibly want to expect from a Firefly game. You've got a ship with cargo space, secret smuggling storage, engine, and various modifications that can be added and improved during the game. You've got a captain (mine was called Malcolm) with some skills (like guns or talking or mechanics) and something special. You've got crew members with more skills and special abilities. You've got some contacts, like Niska, Badger, Patience and others, where you can get interesting jobs of questionable legality, and if you do them well, you're solid with them, and they're nicer to you and will buy whatever crap you can't offload somewhere else. And there's a number of shipyards where you can buy equipment, ship improvements, and hire crew. If you can find them. And of course there's Reavers and the Alliance that you'd better avoid. And wherever you fly, there's always a risk of something unusual happening. Usually it's nothing serious and you can simply Keep Flying, but sometimes the Alliance confiscates all your goods or the Reavers eat your crew. And those jobs you do for your contacts? Well, sometimes Kaylee dies. It was those blue hand guys that did it. There was absolutely nothing I could possibly do about it.

So it's pretty random. Great, excellent theme, but no sense of balance whatsoever. Another player got a ton of extra money for his already well-paying job, and I lost my crew.

But who cares, if you get to fly in the Verse? Hell yes, I am coming back to buy this. You can't take this game from me.

A Study in Emerald

A Steampunk/Cthulhu game by Martin Wallace, based on a story by Neil Gaiman? Some calls you just can't resist.

So I guess we're secret agents steampunking our way across the world in airships, and some of us are Restorationists who want to assassinate royalty, while others are Loyalists who want to thwart the Restorationists. But when those royalty have names like "Azathoth the blind idiot", I wonder where the loyalties of those loyalists really lie...

Honestly, it's a bit more complex than it needs to be. Maybe I'd appreciate those complexities more if I'd actually read that story by Neil Gaiman. There's a lot of little rules, and lots of rules are subtly different for Loyalists and Restorationists. Which you actually are is secret, but your actions are going to give that away soon enough. And if it turns out you're the only Restorationists against multiple Loyalists, the world is likely doomed.

We didn't finish it, and we were asking about rule subtleties right up to the very end. It's not all immediately clear. Not the rules, not what you're really supposed to accomplish, not how you should go about accomplishing that, and not how the details of that accomplishing should work.

And yet, I want this. There's something about it that draws me, ever draws me, irresistibly. But to what end? I do not know.

I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me. I'll probably buy, though I'm not entirely sure why.

Other stuff:
So far I bought nothing I played. The things I did buy were:
* Feuer Drachen, from Haba. Age 5+, so it might be a bit too easy for my 4 year old son, but he loves both dragons and volcanos, so I don't see how this can not be a hit.
* Shadowrun 5th edition. Tellurian Games has the hardback for €48, whereas other stands have the paperback for €50. Go to Tellurian.
* Star Wars: Edge of the Empire - Beyond the Rim. An adventure, apparently. I bought it just for being Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.

Plans for tomorrow:

* See if I can play Eclipse, because it sounds cool and is high on BGG, though it's not a release from this year. I've also seen another game that was described to me as "like Eclipse, but with more combat". So I'll see how I like the combat of Eclipse, and then maybe buy the other game if I want more. (I forgot the other game's name, unfortunately.)

* I still need to buy a game for friends who are going to marry on Saturday. No ideas yet.

* Maybe I need something more family friendly? Maybe something not too reliant on text, so my 4 year old son can play it? (He loves Dominion, despite its wordiness.)

* I was kinda hoping to find some Reaper paint here, but it seems nobody is selling paint.

TL;DR: Eurogames are letting me down. This year looks like an Ameritrash year for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcvos wrote:

Nation
English version was already sold out in 1.5 hours, though, so I guess I won't buy it.

Really? They said they'd have plenty for the entire show!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert666 wrote:
mcvos wrote:

Nation
English version was already sold out in 1.5 hours, though, so I guess I won't buy it.

This is what the guy who taught us the rules told me. But maybe they get new stock every day?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
* I still need to buy a game for friends who are going to marry on Saturday. No ideas yet.

Legacy of Duke de Crecy at Portal booth. All about getting married, having children and creating your genealogy. Great game too..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Vos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
Quote:

Legacy of Duke de Crecy at Portal booth. All about getting married, having children and creating your genealogy. Great game too..

Good idea. Can I play a demo game there?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Merwin
msg tools
mcvos wrote:
coralsaw wrote:
Quote:

Good idea. Can I play a demo game there?

Yes they had a demo running today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philipp Ottensamer
Austria
Wien
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mcvos wrote:
Norbert666 wrote:
mcvos wrote:

Nation

This is what the guy who taught us the rules told me. But maybe they get new stock every day?

Yes, they do restock every day. That's what the designer himself told me . Plenty CIV-goodness to go around. Have a great Essen man! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the geeklist I created in preparation for Spiel '13 to comment on the games I've seen and/or played.

Here it is:

Spiel 2013 - Preparation and report
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.