Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for a new game board game to play when visiting my parents. We're looking for a medium/light game for four players that does not require an immense set-up time, and can be played in approx. 60 minutes. Although me and my wife enjoy the likes of Caylus, Powergrid, Euphrat/Tigris they have not struck home (yet) with the folks. They play a lot of cards so tactics/strategy is not a problem, but confrontation games might be a bit problematic (if it's not overtly fun).

The following have been branded as "great":
Ticket to Ride
Alhambra
Traumfabrik
Louis XIV
Blokus

rubber stamped "OK"
St Petersburg
Settlers of Catan
Metro

"not for us"
Carcassonne

Gratful for all advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ra?
Knizia's Lord of the Rings?
Railroad Tycoon?
China?
Tikal?
Mexica?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Ridgeway
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Beowulf
Ra
Palazzo
Torres
Australia
Bohnanza

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP LaChance
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions would be:

QUICKSAND
THROUGH THE DESERT
OCTILES

My family likes "Ticket to Ride" and also "Alhambra" and they also like to play these.

Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haverty
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like RA and Manila lately, although Manila probably runs more like 90 minutes. If they are card players, maybe Tichu, which I'm a recent fan of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels w/4 should finish in about 60 unless you have really slow players.
Princes of Florence can be setup 'as you go' ... all you need to start is the professions shuffled, the rest can be pulled out as you start auctions... it might be just over an hour, and definitely will take longer the first time.
San Juan definitely plays in under 60 and is great with 4.
Hoity Toity is better than I initially thought, plays well with 4-6.
I would reiterate all above suggestions for Ra.
Colossal Arena may be useful for getting them to transition to confrontational... I may have to start using that more with my group for that purpose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus went over well with my mom and her boyfriend, the others we played have already been mentioned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
China, For Sale, Samurai, Hansa, Amazonas, Coloretto, Ingenious, Mesopotamia, San Juan, Torres, Tichu.

Depending on how fast you play, some may not apply due to length of play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Hetrick
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My parents LOVED Mystery of the Abbey and they were big fans of TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ting Pong IP
Hong Kong
Lai Chi Kok
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Ra, ZooSim, Basari and Dragonland.

If you like abstract things, you can try Blokus, GemBlo, Ingenious and the like.

Hope this helps

Star

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrice Pelletier
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Untergang von Pompeji is a fun one to play with four people. It also plays under an hour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheevers
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RA, Blokus, Ingenious, Take It Easy & High Society all play very well with 4.

Or if you want card games (since that's what they're used to)

Die Sieben Siegel, San Juan, Colerreto & 6 Nimmt I can highly recommend.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Munzing
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floor is also a great game with 4 that meets those requirements and worth considering.

My $0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nsolitander wrote:
I'm looking for a new game board game to play when visiting my parents. We're looking for a medium/light game for four players that does not require an immense set-up time, and can be played in approx. 60 minutes. Although me and my wife enjoy the likes of Caylus, Powergrid, Euphrat/Tigris they have not struck home (yet) with the folks. They play a lot of cards so tactics/strategy is not a problem, but confrontation games might be a bit problematic (if it's not overtly fun).

I've played Ticket to Ride with both my family and my wife's family. Both families like games but I wouldn't consider them "gamers" in our sense. Both found TTR very enjoyable and wanted to play it again.

Other light card games you might consider:

Coloretto
Guillotine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fehr
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hi there! Follow my gaming exploits on Twitter (fehrmeister)
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely second the motion for Hoity Toity. As a simultaneous selection game it's a slightly more complicated than Nobody But Us Chickens, which is also a great bluffing game in its own right.

My parents wouldn't appreciate Puerto Rico, Euphrat & Tigris, or Caylus, (or Princes of Florence), but I've had good success with David & Goliath (great trick-taking card game), Tichu, Coloretto, and even RoboRally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great suggestions, forgot to mention that Blokus has also been a hit (while it lasted), so that was a fitting recommendation by a number of you

I've actually been contemplating Ra (and modern art) for a while but have understood from some comments on the board that its very similar to Traumfabrik, 'kissin' cousins' as someone put it, although others seem to consider Ra fairly superior, any comments on these diverging views?

As said, great suggestions, the different Kramer/Kiesling abstractish games seem very interesting, but I'll be back with some geek gold once I have contemplated all the options and made the purchase decision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico Solitander
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:

Colossal Arena may be useful for getting them to transition to confrontational... I may have to start using that more with my group for that purpose.

You see, the thing with confrontationals is that I'm not sure I want to go there (with them)... as said my parents play card games (and to a lesser extent board games) on almost a daily basis and they have developed conventions of quite extreme competetiveness (so in a sense they never left) that they seem to be able to rein in the above mentioned games. I have to put myself in my wife's position: being put in a confrontational game with your mother-in-law might not be everyones wish for a Sunday afternoon. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tonga Bonga if you can get a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan O'Rourke
United States
Tobyhanna
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Modern Art. I think this is an excellent game for 4 to play with your parents. The rules are fairly simple, and can be explained quickly, however it takes a few rounds to really pick up what's going on. It's a sophisticated card auction game, with a lot of replay value.

Tichu I would also recommend as a sophisticated card game.

Der Untergang von Pompeji, Maharaja: Palace Building in India, Torres, and possibly Santiago seem like good choices as well.

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stroud
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I had the same question a while back and got some fantastic replies:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/838810#838810

Modern Art was a big hit with the folks. My parents are decidedly non-gamerly and picked up on the rules and strategy immediately. It's nice to have player interaction (not conflict) on every turn.

My parents also liked 10 Days in Europe, and it plays really quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gilberg
United States
Norman
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ingenious and Blokus are the two I recently purchased in preparation for a visit from my parents. I'm considering San Juan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hawkins
United States
New Knoxville
Ohio
flag msg tools
Mystery of the Abbey is a great family game. I'd recommend Primordial Soup as well. It's great for a laugh and has a simple concept, yet is strategic enough to be quite enjoyable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.