Popular Tags: [View All]
Jordan Newman
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in purchasing a tactical game set in the ancient world. In particular I'm looking for a game that highlights, or at least features, hoplite warfare. I find the Greek wars, and Alexander's campaigns especially interesting. I play GMT's MoI series and like that style and complexity level. I'm not a fan of the lighter wargames like M44. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you looked at the various GBOH games? Something like The Great Battles of Alexander: Deluxe Edition? A step up from MoI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of GMT games like Men of Iron. GMT also offers the Great Battle of History (GBoH) series and Simple GBoH which are very good tactical ancients games.

The very first volume in GBoH is The Great Battles of Alexander and the second is SPQR. Well worth a visit if you ask me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Mythic Battles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
Mythic Battles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...or not.

There's a contingent out there for Lost Battles, which is a perfectly good way to spend a house payment if you have that sitting around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kellen Kooistra
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feel free to ignore this recommendation based on what you said above about M'44, but you may want to look into GMT's Commands and Colors: Ancients It is based on the same system as Memoir, but I think it has some added complexity, and more importantly, that system fits ancient warfare much better than WWII warfare. If that's still too simple for you, then I would second the recommendation of the GBoH system, maybe hold out for Hoplite which seems to be set in the arena you want to be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ziegreich
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And just because it's a mostly forgotten game - you can go one-on-one with Gladiator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an old game, but it is a bit of a classic: The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC. It is a solo game and is innovative as it forces you to switch sides if you are winning. This helps to make up for the inadequacies of AI mechanics in solo games.

It recreates the war between Athens and Sparta in the 5th Century BC and thus allows you to change the tactics used by the two sides. Like what would happen if Athens did not attempt to conquer Sicily during the conflict.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
There's a contingent out there for Lost Battles, which is a perfectly good way to spend a house payment if you have that sitting around.

I've played C&C:A and several of the GBoH games, but Lost Battles is by far my favorite of the bunch. The grand tactical scale of LB helps with that by avoiding rules that drag you down into specific details of terrain, deployment, tactics, and technology that we honestly just don't know that much about. But there are also a lot of other interesting design decisions in LB, most of which are well-documented in the reviews on the game page.

Lost Battles is definitely an unusual game, though. Perhaps it's not even a game by some people's definition. Read the reviews carefully before you decide you want it, as it's expensive and hard to find. It's really not that outrageously expensive - I sold a MIB copy over the summer for a hair over $200, and the game originally cost $100+shipping. Double MSRP is pretty typical for well-regarded OOP games. But just finding a copy for sale at all is difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Pytel
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mirky wrote:
This is an old game, but it is a bit of a classic: The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC.

It's an interesting game, but it would be a lot more interesting at half the price. The solitaire system is clever, but not so clever that you can't game it pretty hard, side-flipping notwithstanding. It's tough to find a copy of this for less than $60 shipped, and I think that money would be better invested in C&C:A or GBoH, or put toward LB if that's compelling enough.

Certainly not a bad game, but pretty darn expensive for what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
punchykoos wrote:
Feel free to ignore this recommendation based on what you said above about M'44, but you may want to look into GMT's Commands and Colors: Ancients It is based on the same system as Memoir, but I think it has some added complexity, and more importantly, that system fits ancient warfare much better than WWII warfare.

And the first expansion on the Greeks and Eastern Empires has just been reprinted as a P500 (my copy is on the floor next to me, finally with all unit stickers applied.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United Kingdom
Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tppytel wrote:
Mirky wrote:
This is an old game, but it is a bit of a classic: The Peloponnesian War, 431-404 BC.

It's an interesting game, but it would be a lot more interesting at half the price. The solitaire system is clever, but not so clever that you can't game it pretty hard, side-flipping notwithstanding. It's tough to find a copy of this for less than $60 shipped, and I think that money would be better invested in C&C:A or GBoH, or put toward LB if that's compelling enough.

Certainly not a bad game, but pretty darn expensive for what it is.

I agree, it is hard to get hold of one at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.