BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » New Zealand

Subject: Suggestions for games for my daughter? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lord Beardie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Hoping you can come up with some suggestions!

My daughter (10 yrs old) is loving boardgames and I want some ideas for new games to play with her.

She likes mystery/secrets, wants games where you compete against each other (not co-op) and move around on a board (as opposed to card/deck building). And I, of course, want to steer her away from war/combat based ones. Something simple to learn too - kids don't have a great attention span for learning rules!

We have Formula One (old car racing game), Domaine and Forbidden Island.

Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mystery Express ticks all the boxes, except recommended age 12.

It is a twist on Cluedo with more gameplay and more interesting elements. One of the potential downsides is the "murder weapon" and whole murder aspect but other than that it might be suitable.

Tom Vasel did a video review as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
We quite enjoyed Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Mystery at Hogwarts Game, which is also a Cluedo variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try something like Zooloretto? Cute boards and tiles, with the potential to get nasty and backstabby towards their parents and each other (something all kids love)

Another brilliant "nasty" game is Survive! Escape from Atlantis.

My 5-year-old daughter loves both, though she doesn't really "get" strategy just yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Chapman
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey might work as a simpler alternative to Mystery Express.

Otherwise, without the mystery aspect but good, fun and family friendly you could try Takenoko (grow bamboo, feed the panda - my niece loves this one) or duck! duck! Go! (race your rubber ducks around the bathtub).

All three of these can be rented from boardgamerentals.co.nz if you want to try them out before buying too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group likes Thebes, which involves moving around the board, picking up knowledge in various European cities, then going down to Egypt, Crete, Greece, etc. to dig. It's great fun reaching into the "dig" bag to see if you pull out any artifacts or useless dirt. (Our group has a habit of chanting "Dirt! Dirt!" during this process.)

The new Days of Wonders game Relic Runners might provide a similar experience with people running around and picking up treasures.

We also play Blue Moon City, where people move around the board and play cards to help rebuild buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timmo Flynno
United States
Croydon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 11 yr old niece loves playing "Ticket to Ride" and "Las Vegas".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Lost Temple
- racing game (moving on a board)
- secret in the form of hidden roles

Jamaica is a beautiful racing game but no secrets though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunburst
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Takenoko

Another one I can think of is Tobago There's also Pirate's Cove, however that one has a bit of fighting/battling in it (using dice to determine victory or defeat) and can seem a little mean for the younger ones.

My lot enjoy all three games for different reasons. In any case all of them are beautiful to look at as well if your daughter likes pretty games.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krawhitham B
New Zealand
Napier
Hawkes Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, That's My Fish! is a simple to play game with alot of scope for deep play, but no mystery to it at all. Cheap and widely available.

Tobago is a game where you hunt for hidden treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Saggers
New Zealand
Paraparaumu
Kapiti Coast
flag msg tools
Kapiti Gaming Basterds - Leave your conscience and scruples at the door. Pants optional.
badge
Give me Ameritrash - or give me death.
mbmbmbmbmb
This may seem a little from left-field but Infiltration from FFG might fit the bill. It's competitive, relatively straight-forward, has a board of sorts and exploration. I should think a 10 year-old could handle the rules, although I haven't tried it with this age group. There is some minor low-level violence inherent in the theme, but it's definitely not war/combat based.

Also, if you have enough players Saboteur is always good fun. Very simple to play, competitive, has secrets and again a board of sorts.

Both games are described as card games, but both have a spatial element (board made up of cards) which gives you something physical to focus on while playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of Tokyo?

Not much moving, but...a fun press your luck game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My girls (8 and 6) and their buddies really like the Resistance, they also like the adventurers (I own both the temple and pyramid ones). We all get together (family and friends) every Sunday night, and play these (once in a blue moon us adults get to play a game).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sunburst
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 King of Tokyo

Always fun to play that one!

I recently introduced Smash Up and so far it has been another great game to add to the list It hasn't got a board, but some cards (base cards) are used as "board".

Probably can think of a few other games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend trying out Boardgame rentals a little too - I play occasionally with kids, and have a few recommendations, but Peter is constantly renting games to families and does a lot of board game events in schools, so has a great handle on what games work for younger gamers.

My recs are that Parade and Sleeping Queens are generically enjoyed by younger gamers, but Gulo Gulo has been my most popularly endorsed game by 12 and unders. Chatau Roquefort has had some love, but Mice and Mystics has probably gotten under the skin more, in terms of creating family discussion and conversations about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Austin
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Nuns on the Run?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Noble
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi - I have a great range of games for the younger set. Either for sale or rental. If you are in Wellington the option of joining the rental library and trying 26 odd different titles over 6 months could be the way to go, and then buying a few.

The vast majority of the games listed above we have in our library and many more that work with 10 year olds. One of my favourites is Cartagena, Sleeping queens is good (really anything ny Gamewright for 8+/10+). castle Panic is great as it has co-operative or competitive coop in the same box. The classics like TTR has secrets as you are going after your own tickets etc.

Happy to help in any way I can.

Peter
BoardGameRentals.co.nz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hunt
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Beardie wrote:
Hoping you can come up with some suggestions!

My daughter (10 yrs old) is loving boardgames and I want some ideas for new games to play with her.

She likes mystery/secrets, wants games where you compete against each other (not co-op) and move around on a board (as opposed to card/deck building). And I, of course, want to steer her away from war/combat based ones. Something simple to learn too - kids don't have a great attention span for learning rules!

We have Formula One (old car racing game), Domaine and Forbidden Island.

Ideas?

Sounds like Tobago might fit the bill? Others have mentioned it and it seems to tick all the right boxes.

The theme is locating buried treasure, and this is done by playing clue cards that narrow down where different treasures are hidden, so it has a mystery/secret element to it. It's competitive. It has a modular board meaning added replay factor. It has no combat. The rules are simple enough and should be picked up pretty quickly - a very popular family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Adam
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tobago is good, but some kids I've played with found it too abstract to get much sense of tension, and as a consequence got a little board. I mean they knew what they were trying to do, but had no feedback for whether they were doing well or poorly.

Depending on your thoughts on the theme, which I think can be talked down/minimised, Mr Jack does have some nice elements that might suit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moonglow wrote:
got a little board.

I see what you did there whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Martinson
United States
Mabank
Texas
flag msg tools
Gobble 'till you wobble y'all!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big fan of games from Ravensburger as many of their games are great for kids and adults to play together. My 3 favorites are: 1. Enchanted Forest which is a memory game that involves dice rolling, moving around on the board and trying to remember every tree you look at as you attempt to find the right ones in order to win the game. 2. The Amazing Labyrinth which is a "maze" game. You do move your playing piece around the board as the maze changes with each player's turn. You go through the maze trying to reach a specific image and just when you figure out how to get there, the player before you changes the maze with his/her turn and you have to put your thinking cap back on. 3. Midnight Party which is just a silly fun to play game. You roll the dice, move your "people" and try to stay out of the way of the ghost that comes up out of the dungeon. Once the ghost is out of the dungeon and in the hallway, you rush to get your people safely into rooms off the hallway because if the ghost catches you, off you go into the dungeon. It's a simple silly game but even grown ups giggle and squeal when the ghost is after them! It also helps to make sound effects of the ghost breathing down their necks and chomp chomp noises when he catches someone and "eats" them (OK it sounds corny but kids love it when we do this!)

I also agree with Hey! That's My Fish and Zooloretto.

And for a silly dice game, I would recommend Martian Dice. Every kid in our game group loves this and well, so do I! You roll the 13 dice, keep the tanks and enough "ray guns" to wipe them out. Then you collect cows, chickens and or people to eventually earn enough points to win the game. Nothing hard about this one but it's fun.

Hope this helps you a bit!
Mary

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lord Beardie
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mb
Awesome team! Many thanks for the suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan King
United States
Fairmount
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughters favorite game at age 10 was Clue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Freer
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My niece, who sounds like she has similar tastes and age (though enjoys more card games)enjoyed:

Blue Moon City
Tales of Arabian Nights
Ticket to Ride
Can't Stop
Manila

and without boards -
Lost Cities
Pickomino /HeckMeck
Poison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.