Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played this - nice! But:
For victory points coming from Technologies do you have to have cubes available in Lisboa? And:
What is the proper definition of a base? Does it mean a castle (ie not a church?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base is the additional building the ships can leave from once they are built

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aladdinsdad wrote:

For victory points coming from Technologies do you have to have cubes available in Lisboa?

No, where did you get that impression from? There is just the general requirement, if you gain VPs beyond what the current historians can handle, to have a cube in Lisboa to be made into a historian and mark the new VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:
Base is the additional building the ships can leave from once they are built

Sorry, that doesn't really clarify it for me, thanks anyway!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me the 2 questions are:

What is a base and is it a church or commercial centre?

At the end of the game do you need cubes in Lisboa to record your final allocation of victory points from the technologies yup have built?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:

For victory points coming from Technologies do you have to have cubes available in Lisboa?

No, where did you get that impression from? There is just the general requirement, if you gain VPs beyond what the current historians can handle, to have a cube in Lisboa to be made into a historian and mark the new VPs.

Hi Ioannis,
What I meant was, do you have to have cubes available to mark your final score at the end of the game, where you add the points from technologies..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aladdinsdad wrote:
coralsaw wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:

Hi Ioannis,
What I meant was, do you have to have cubes available to mark your final score at the end of the game, where you add the points from technologies..?

As I understand it, yes. If you don't have a historian to mark your score, you forego the points. I don't think this should/would change during final scoring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neale2006 wrote:
For me the 2 questions are:

What is a base and is it a church or commercial centre?

At the end of the game do you need cubes in Lisboa to record your final allocation of victory points from the technologies yup have built?

A base is neither a church or a commercial center, it is a separate building (one of the 3), it is pictured as a castle on the land cards.

See above for answer to the 2nd question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:
coralsaw wrote:
aladdinsdad wrote:

Hi Ioannis,

As I understand it, yes. If you don't have a historian to mark your score, you forego the points. I don't think this should/would change during final scoring.

When I read the AEG rule, I got the impression that at the end of the game, you don't need to use your historian (or extra historian from Lisboa, if you exceed every 5), to mark your VPs.

From AEG rule:
WINNING THE GAME
After all players have taken their final turn, each player totals up the VP he has gained using the following scoring:
- All VP as indicated by the markers on your historian card
- 1 VP for each marketplace and stronghold you own
- 2 VP for each church you own
- Any technology that rewards VP at the end of the game

What do you guys think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The VPs coming from buildings and technologies will NOT be tracked by historians. Simply pick a piece of paper and a pen, then note your final score.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On which part of the rules or clarifications have you based your opinion, Andre?

I own the OKAZU version and can not find a reference to support it. Thus my different opinion in a previous post, that is based on not changing the rules from the running game, where historians are needed.

Best regards,
Yani
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
On which part of the rules or clarifications have you based your opinion, Andre?

I own the OKAZU version and can not find a reference to support it. Thus my different opinion in a previous post, that is based on not changing the rules from the running game, where historians are needed.

Best regards,
Yani

One of the tiebreakers is amount recorded by historians. If this is not separated from endgame scoring from churches, etc. then it wouldn't work as a tiebreaker as the scores from in game and end game scoring would be intermingled, yes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, makes sense now that I re-read the rules. Historians only track VPs during game, not aat-end VPs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the third game I brought back from Essen that has a definitive rule that appears to be set in stone but is totally contradicted by a throw away comment later in the rule book. Regarding Sail to India, I think the need to have cubes to record your total score is a significant consideration for play and to ignore it for the final end game sweep up is a cop out and diminishes the thought required. Official rule or not, I will insist on cubes being used to assess the final score as my house rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Neale
United Kingdom
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
This is the third game I brought back from Essen that has a definitive rule that appears to be set in stone but is totally contradicted by a throw away comment later in the rule book. Regarding Sail to India, I think the need to have cubes to record your total score is a significant consideration for play and to ignore it for the final end game sweep up is a cop out and diminishes the thought required. Official rule or not, I will insist on cubes being used to assess the final score as my house rule.

I agree.
This scoring mechanism is fundamental to how the game progresses and I do not understand why you would not use it during the final scoring. It forces players to plan for the final scoring adding even more strategy into this little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree, this is more elegant overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. we are all agreed. Now when are we going to play together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go ahead and do a Vassal module Simon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some of us are agreed that the rules as written are solid and do not need or want this modification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Bronswijk
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Bad Lex wrote:
Regarding Sail to India, I think the need to have cubes to record your total score is a significant consideration for play and to ignore it for the final end game sweep up is a cop out and diminishes the thought required.

Sorry, but I disagree. If you play it this way, then some strategies would not work.

For example, if you build 5 strongholds and set up the Eastern India Inc. technology, you will gain 15 points at the end, 5 for the strongholds and 10 for the technology. But it is impossible to have 3 historians available at the end of the game if you build 5 strongholds. So this strategy would lead to a maximum of 3 strongholds. This is really not the sense of this game.

The rules are very clear: Historians have not to be used for the final scoring, because at first you sum up all VP shown by your historians, but afterwards you sum up the VP by strongholds, commerce centers, churches and technologies.

This is obviously intended by the game designer. So why do you think that you know better than the game designer what's in the spirit of this game?

However, feel free to play your house rule as you like. But you will lose some aspects of the game this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Case
England
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
https://www.facebook.com/amuse.ment.92
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thygra wrote:
So why do you think that you know better than the game designer what's in the spirit of this game?

Your words not mine, but thanks for anticipating my arrogance.

Thygra wrote:
However, feel free to play your house rule as you like.

That's incredibly kind, I think I shall. After all I did say I would and I wouldn't want you to consider me indecisive or fickle.

Thygra wrote:
But you will lose some aspects of the game this way.

Perhaps losing aspects that I don't want or like. Perhaps your loss is my gain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodenough
United States
Burnsville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Goody
mbmbmbmbmb
At the end of the game, you don't need to use your historian (or extra historian from Lisboa, if you exceed every 5), to mark your VPs. In other words, the VPs from buildings and technologies will not be tracked by historians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Geek wrote:
At the end of the game, you don't need to use your historian (or extra historian from Lisboa, if you exceed every 5), to mark your VPs. In other words, the VPs from buildings and technologies will not be tracked by historians.

I feel a house rule coming on..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.