Popular Tags: [View All]
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been working on my design for a while now and just scrapped a whole lot of work... intentionally. I don't feel bad about it one bit. I actually feel pretty good about it. I feel that my game design efforts had made my game too complicated with too much book keeping. In an effort to streamline the rules and game play, I've removed a lot of layers that I had built up and simplified things where possible. I feel like I am removing a lot of the impurities from my design leaving behind a stronger and tighter design. I'm trying to stick to my original goal of making a game that is simplistic in design, yet rich with strategy and tactics.

I'm sure there must be others that have had similar experiences as me.

Anyone else care to share a similar experience?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Cook
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently had an idea that changed the foundation mechanics of my game, so I had to restructure the entire system from the ground up. Worth it, though, the new foundation mechanics are much stronger and strategic, and give the game a much more solid framework from which to hang the rest of the rules.

If you haven't already, you should post about your project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I go through this about twice a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Richard
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The latest project that I'm shopping around to publishers is the results of 4 failed prototypes. Each of the previous games failed my "Worth continuing?" test and were thrown into a drawer.

But somewhere along the line I started a project and started to pull from each of the others. Using what I'd learned from the failed projects I was able to quickly put together a fantastic experience.

Now, to find a publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris phillips
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've just started making games but the 1st one is simple yet enough that adults and kids would play with animals. The newer game seems a little more to it with boards but still isn't real complicated. My daughter has been helping so so it's fun. 1st game was about the journey not the end result but now I've been hooked I'm wanting to finish this game to playtest ..NOW.. but know it can take time. I hope you make games that are fun along the way to create.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Peet
United States
Milford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Way Out There...
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a drawer full of "scraps" that I keep for recycling, reusing, and reminiscing. I think it's natural to have designs that need to be set down or scrapped, its part of the creative process of learning and growing as a designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.