Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
24 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: [Deck] HB Trap Deck: Let the mind games begin. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
I guess I'll start with my credentials: I recently won my regional tournament with a Kit deck that I'm extremely proud of and an HB NEXT Design deck that I'm not so proud of (boring). I would post the decklist for the Kit deck, but I'm selfish and I don't want to give away my secret weapon until I win a big tournament with it. In the meantime, you'll have to be satisfied with this deck (note that this is a completely different deck than the tourney winning one).

I've been experimenting with lots of different corp decks lately, and this one really stuck out. It's loads of fun to play and is really a unique style. Without further ado, here's the decklist:

Identity:
HB: Engineering the Future

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (11)
Project Vitruvius x3
Accelerated Beta Test x3
Efficiency Committee x3
False Lead x2

Asset: (13)
Jackson Howard x3 (3 inf)
Snare! x3 (6 inf)
Cerebral Overwriter x3
Adonis Campaign x3
Eve Campaign x1

ICE: (14)
Eli 1.0 x3
Wall of Static x2
Viktor 2.0 x3
Hourglass x2
Ichi 1.0 x3
Janus 1.0 x1

Operation: (11)
Hedge Fund x3
Neural EMP x3 (6 inf)
Archived Memories x3
Biotic Labor x2

Upgrade: (0)

The basic premise is you don't protect any remote servers (except maybe an Adonis or Eve); all of your ice goes onto your centrals. Now, I know what you're thinking: "Not another fast advance deck, I thought you said this was original!". WRONG. This is a trap deck; one of the best that I have seen. Now, a lot of trap decks have a few glaring problems. What's stopping the runner from just ignoring your remotes and interfacing your R&D like there's no tomorrow? Sure, you can score some agendas because the runner can't distinguish between them and traps, but that doesn't matter if the runner is filtering out all your agendas from R&D before you get them. This deck attempts to address this problem.

Several times throughout the game, you will lay down a card and double advance it. This card is either an Overwriter or an agenda. If it's an Overwriter and it connects, great, 2 brain damage (which is often enough for this deck to secure the victory, you'll see how shortly). If it's an agenda and it isn't run then you score it next turn. Ideally it's a Vitruvius, which now has 2 counters on it. Ok, the runner is thinking, so what? Why do I care? What's stopping me from just continuing to hammer R&D? It's very simple: mass Neural EMP. Once a Vitruvius is scored with 2 counters, the 3 Neural EMP's in this deck make it very likely that you'll draw one and can deal 3 net damage for $6 the turn after the runner makes a run. Draw a second Neural EMP and a Biotic Labor and you can bump it up to 4 net damage for $12. Any prior Brain Damage? Flatline. Hit a Snare and didn't draw enough? Flatline. Efficiency Committees add to your flatlining ability. A scored Efficiency Committe on it's own lets you have 6 clicks on a single turn. Usually you'll be able to pull off 3 net damage with a combination of Neurals and Archived Mems, but you can get up to 4 (2/3 EMP's with 2/1 Archived Mems and $8). If you score a Vitruvius AND an Efficiency Committee now you're looking at 5 and even 6 net damage! For 5, you need either 3 EMP's ($10), 2 EMP's and 1 Archived Mems ($10) or 1 EMP, 2 Archived Mems and 1 Biotic Labor ($14). For 6 you need 3 EMP's, 1 Archived Mems and 1 Biotic Labor ($16), though this is very rare. This is quite a bit of money, but it's made up for by the fact that you don't need to protect any remotes and your ice is cheap an efficient.

Now that I've discussed the core of the deck, let's take a look at some of the other cards. You will almost never score an ABT. You won't win very many games from agenda points, and this deck does not have enough ice to take advantage of its ability. It's basically here because there aren't any other options; 3 pointers are bad because now the runner can win with just 3 agendas instead of 4, and other 2 pointers are next to useless. The only times it's worth it to attempt to score an ABT is if HQ is unsafe and you don't have a Jackson Howard or if the runner is completely ignoring your remotes or if you can Biotic Labor it out for the victory. False lead is great in this deck in conjunction with Snare, and you can either double advance or score it from hand with biotic labor.

The choice of ice may seem a little strange, but I have found it quite effective. Efficiency is the key, which is why we see the standard Eli 1.0, Ichi 1.0 and Viktor 2.0, but we also see 2x Hourglass, which is pretty unconventional. My reasoning is that if the runner is running on their last click, you are already in a great spot. If they hit a Snare you probably EMP them to death. Not only that, but any breaker other than Yog is very inefficient against it, and even Yog needs a little support. Janus 1.0 is there to punish a reckless runner with additional brain damage; every single brain damage is crucial, so even if you only hit them for 1 it might be enough to secure the victory. Another thing to keep in mind about this deck is that it's great if the runner clicks through Bioroids; the less clicks they have when they reach R&D/HQ the better. Wall of Static over Bastion because there are tons of 4 strength ice in this deck and Atman is annoying.

All that being said, like any deck it has some weaknesses. Expose effects just wreck this deck. These include Infiltration, Satellite Uplink, Lemuria and the trap-disarming effect of Exploratory Romp (lol). Lemuria pretty much hard counters this strategy; luckily it and other expose effects are pretty rare and don't see much high level play. If your meta is rife with expose effects, chances are this deck won't perform very well. This deck is still vulnerable to R&D lockdown, but your 3x Snares and 3x Jackson Howards for more Snares do help out to solve that problem. Deus X is also decent against this strategy, as it is able to prevent the net damage from your Snares and it also means that you need to EMP them an additional time before they die. Feedback Filter actually hard counters this strategy pretty well, but sees very little play. Public Sympathy also counters this strategy fairly well, but fortunately it is rarely seen outside of specialized Stimhack decks and they tend to cancel each other out. Finally, this deck is very inconsistent. It can easily lose to a bad runner because it basically boils down to guesswork; if they repeatedly guess correctly then there's not much you can do. Fortunately, they have to guess correctly several times before you actually lose, and one wrong guess on their part is usually enough to swing the game in your favor. I find this deck has similar win rates regardless of the skill of the runner because of the mind games that happen. Strangely enough, this deck would be great to play in the finals of a tournament, but would have a hard time being consistent enough to get you there.

I highly recommend giving this deck a spin because the mind games that ensue are loads of fun. Thanks for making it through my wall of text. If you have any suggestions to make this deck better I'd love to hear them.

Edit: I forgot to mention another weakness that this deck has. Account Siphon really throws a wrench into things because if they Siphon you below $3 then you can't trigger Overwriter, so they can run your double advanced server with impunity. Whizzard Vamp decks also pose this problem. I find that the best way around this is to ice up HQ much more than usual to make it very costly for them. If it means that R&D is a little exposed for a little while don't worry about it too much; you've got 3 Snares in there.

I also think that I'm going to replace one of the ABT's with another False Lead and a Gila Hands, and at least one of the other ABT's with PSF.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton R.
Russia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
You never score to 7. What do you think about replacing ABT with PSF? One more way to finish after snare.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting! I like the concept. How do you manage your economy? Your ice is all pretty expensive, and it seems like it'd be tricky to have enough to protect your centrals and an economy remote sufficiently. Plus, all your recursion/Biotic tricks require a decent amount of cash on hand. Do the Adonis Campaigns work for you? Just looking at the decklist, I'd be tempted to swap the Adonis/Eve numbers (or maybe go 2 and 2). I suppose Archived/Vitruvius counters help in a pinch, although I imagine you'd rather hold those in reserve for chain EMPs.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Gauthier
France
flag msg tools
gozik wrote:
You never score to 7. What do you think about replacing ABT with PSF? One more way to finish after snare.

Thing is, he can't score easily 4/2 agendas. He limits himself to 3 of them, Efficiency Committee.
But he could replace THOSE with PSF though. Triple damages, all the way across the sky.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
gozik wrote:
You never score to 7. What do you think about replacing ABT with PSF? One more way to finish after snare.


This is actually not a bad idea. Force the runner to care about the tag from Snare and not just the damage. I'll definitely give this a whirl.

Agent Archer wrote:
Interesting! I like the concept. How do you manage your economy? Your ice is all pretty expensive, and it seems like it'd be tricky to have enough to protect your centrals and an economy remote sufficiently. Plus, all your recursion/Biotic tricks require a decent amount of cash on hand. Do the Adonis Campaigns work for you? Just looking at the decklist, I'd be tempted to swap the Adonis/Eve numbers (or maybe go 2 and 2). I suppose Archived/Vitruvius counters help in a pinch, although I imagine you'd rather hold those in reserve for chain EMPs.


All of the economy comes from Adonis/Eve, the sweet EtF identity and clicking for credits. I originally had more Eve campaigns in here, but I didn't like them all that much. The thing is if the runner decides to trash them the turn after they get rezzed, you trade $1 for $3 of the runner with Adonis and $3 for $5 of the runner with Eve. For Eve, both of you just lose $2 extra, and while I generally I don't like 1-to-1 trades as the corp they are especially bad in this deck since your economy is so limited. This deck clicks for credits a lot since it doesn't have a whole lot else to do most of the time. There aren't many ICE or assets, so you don't spend a ton of time installing those. The most click intensive thing is your double advancing routine, which actually only costs $1 due to your ability. Most of the time you'll be waiting around for an opportunity to kill them, and in that time your turns will typically be install 1 card to trigger your ability and click for credits twice. Additionally, the ice really isn't that expensive. If you look at the spread, it's got 5 at $3, 8 at $5 and 1 at $15. All of that ice except Janus can be rezzed turn 1 no problem. Furthermore, since it's all very efficient you only need to go a couple ice deep on R&D and HQ for it to start to get very expensive for the runner.

As far as recurring Adonis/Eve you really don't want to be spending your Vitruvius counters because they are so good at setting up a kill combo, but using an Archived memories is fine if you are strapped for money. Your hand does get clogged throughout the game with EMP's, Biotic Labors and Archived memories, and you don't want to be spending these unless you can get some good use out of them. EMP's should only be used to go for a kill and Biotic Labors should only be used to go for a kill or to force through a False Lead. Archived Mems are more broadly useful in that they can bring back whatever you need at the time, so usually if your hand is full of Agendas and your kill combo then these are the first to go. Also, the best cards to shuffle back with action Jackson are ABT's, Snares and Archived Mems.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't usually look at posted decks, but I like this idea. It seems sufficiently Timmy-Competitive for my tastes! Been playing with the idea of click taxing and damage myself.

What do you think of Mélange with Efficiency Committee? I suppose you are saving those for EMPs? I could see this having a tough time against Shapers running a lot of draw, but should be pretty fun. Thanks for posting.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Keys
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Interrupt.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
trevaur wrote:
All of the economy comes from Adonis/Eve, the sweet EtF identity and clicking for credits. I originally had more Eve campaigns in here, but I didn't like them all that much. The thing is if the runner decides to trash them the turn after they get rezzed, you trade $1 for $3 of the runner with Adonis and $3 for $5 of the runner with Eve. For Eve, both of you just lose $2 extra, and while I generally I don't like 1-to-1 trades as the corp they are especially bad in this deck since your economy is so limited.


Have you played this deck against Whizzard before? It seems to me that all of the math you have here would get thrown off, since you'd be spending more money than the Runner each time you play these, and you would therefore be missing a good chunk of economy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
Yes, I have played this deck against Whizzard, and his ability really isn't that big of a deal. All it means is that you have to protect your assets a little more than normal, and usually only have one down at a time. The efficiency of the ice in this deck makes it really annoying to have to break in to a server over and over to stop me from making money.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
bigloo33 wrote:
Don't usually look at posted decks, but I like this idea. It seems sufficiently Timmy-Competitive for my tastes! Been playing with the idea of click taxing and damage myself.

What do you think of Mélange with Efficiency Committee? I suppose you are saving those for EMPs? I could see this having a tough time against Shapers running a lot of draw, but should be pretty fun. Thanks for posting.


The problem with Melange in this deck is that I can't protect it. It inevitably gets trashed after the first use. I'd add in more Eve Campaigns before Melange. The thing with lots of draw is that if your hand size is 3 then it doesn't save you from the flatline. Sure, it helps you against repeated Snares, but those are just meant to be a nuisance that sometimes net you a win. The strength of this deck is in burst damage, and all the draw power in the world can't save you if you have a low hand size/get hit with False Lead after a Snare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Boo on you BGG - I posted something similar to this and got negative comments, this one gets looks interesting

But its all good.

So my thoughts

1) My deck doesnt work the same, going for scoring rather than flatlining. Ive found that without Scorched Earth, flat line is too unpredictable (Indeed your setup needs no less than 4 cards to pull off? Cerb with 2 advance hit, 3 neural emps? Or i guess Cerb, Vitru with 2 counters, and 2 neural emps more often than not as they end their turn at 3 cards) - I love the idea, don't get me wrong and I want to make it work, but i have found that runners are growing less and less afraid of net damage

1a) The net damage fear is gone. Runners are either running early (to save clicks for drawing and for removing tags) or just ignoring it and feeling free to spend a turn drawing 4 cards. Or more accurately using cards like Professional Contacts to take a turn for money and cards, then powering through next turn. Timing becomes /everything/ in this idea, and it is certainly possible to get them to run a trap, then to score while they recover... but its also is unlikely.

2) You are only running 3 advancable traps - how often do you see them? It is true the Install Advance Adv just 'screams' traps but after your 4th or 5th time doing that (and especially after your first time scoring an agenda with no ice) the runner just says 'f it' and runs them. There arent enough traps to keep them out. I run 8 traps (3 june, 3 Cerb, 2 Agg sec) and still can't keep them scared of a trap

3) All that being said, to make your deck more effective, why not run Sentinel Def Program? If you can score it before they hit a Cerbral, that will possibly reduce the amount of Neurals you need to use in order to snag them flat lined - the right luck will see a quick flat line because they loose 3 cards on a double advanced Cerbral

3a) I run ToL and Biotic Labor for fast advance tricks off failed traps - and I have even been known to Biotic labor to install ice, isntall trap, adv adv like I wantto try and score it next turn as if its a 5 point agenda and want an ice on it (makes me look like im running scared - i have often had runenrs run the server, then jack out when I don't run the ice - and it be an agenda. Gets them running scared for once) - do you even have the inf for ToL? Because if nothing else, ToL is great for the failed traps - just leave them out, tempting, and then move the tokens to score an agenda in one turn.

4) How is your economy? I run similar to yours (having 3 adonis, 2 eves, and 3 pads, and 3 green level) and find that if they don't trash anything, I'm golden enough for a Janus or 2, but they often are more than smart enough to trash things. Even the free install credit isnt enough, cause that seems to almost always go rigth into an advancement token.



allll of that being said, I think a combination of both our decks could really work. ToL and SDP in yours, Vitruvirus into mine, maybe a few other ideas along the way to stream line the decks. I wasn't really looking for Recursion, so Vitru would make more sense than the ABTs in my deck, and SDP would in yours - you said that your general plan is Install adv adv anyways to disguise it as a trap, so a 4pt agenda isn't a problem there.



You said you havent had trouble with Whizzard, but he has honestly been my worst nightmare. That and anyone running the shaper trash program - They usually also tend to be RD Diggers (either through Interface, Makers, or Medium), and i just find traps, adonis, and whatever all gets trashed right out of RD - I'm running 14 pieces of ice - and it may just be my deck isnt fast enough (Vitru should help that out) but I can only really keep them out for maybe 10 turns before they get through. Of course, maybe thats the problem - maybe Its too slow. Now I'm not running any recursion yet beyond Jackson, that maybe your Vitru/Archived/and Jackson is enough to help you out against that?


I like the inclusion of Hourglass. Im going to put it in mine. It can really help with the flatline situation, causing their early runs to miss out on the rest of the clicks they would use to recover in card draw or tag removal. And of course an Hourglass into any Biorid with Brain Damage would be /ideal/


I have actually found myself prefering Viktor 1.0 over 2.0. The trace for brain damage is nice in theory, but it is a weak trace, and as you've noticed either your economy is spot on for everything you want... or its not.


anyway, I'm glad others are thinking of the same idea - I think tournament play is actually the best place for this deck, because it would be most confusing and surprise is its best factor. But lets keep tooling it, and maybe with some Spin cards it can really take off!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
I initially tried Sentinel in this deck, but I found that it really didn't do anything. If you deal 2 brain damage you are probably going to win anyways. Snares become devastating. If you run on your first action and hit one then you can either draw 3 times and keep the tag or draw twice and erase the tag. I'd much rather throw in PSF because then you force them to remove the tag each time. Sentinel is actually just really bad and will rarely do anything. Once 2 brain damage is dealt, the runner will never voluntarily end his turn with less than 3 cards.

I agree that runners are running early in the turn, especially against HB, but there are a few things in this deck that combat that. First and foremost is False Lead; if the runner has taken 2 brain damage and hits a Snare on their first action, you forfeit False Lead and then they only have one action left with 0 cards in hand and a tag. Even if they draw, this deck can very reliably deal 2 net damage for the kill. Aside from False lead, the ice is great for eliminating the runner's clicks. Eli 1.0, Viktor 2.0 and Ichi 1.0 are very commonly clicked through and Hourglass is great at eating up those extra clicks. If the runner wants to use breakers to break these, that's also fine by me because they cost a lot to break. I also prefer Viktor 2.0 to 1.0 because it doesn't die to Yog. Yeah, the brain damage rarely hits, but that's not really what it's therefore. Besides, the brain damage on 1.0 rarely hits either because it only costs 1 click to break. They would have to be running on their last click, at which point I would probably just not rez and let them through in the hopes of hitting Snare so I can finish them off on my turn. Basically, the runner just can't cover all the threats with their 4 clicks per turn. If they want to run, only have 3 left over, and they need clicks to break through the annoying ice, deal with hourglass, draw back up after a Snare and deal with potentially getting hit by False Lead.

You mention that there aren't enough traps to keep the runner out, but that just simply isn't the case. The only time that I find that it's an issue is when you don't draw a Cerebral for a while. Once you get one, you've got 3x Archived Memories to bring them back. This is great for mind games, you bring one back and then next turn install advance advance. They know you have an Overwriter in your hand, but did you play it? Or are you trying to sneak through an agenda because you know that they know that you have an Overwriter in your hand? Like I said before, all you need is for them to take 2 brain damage before it becomes very difficult for them to win. Even if you haven't scored any agendas when they take 2 brain damage, all you need to do is fast advance out a false lead to put them on the ropes. Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm definitely going to try to fit in a third False Lead because of how great they are in this deck.

I don't see myself putting in Trick of Light. I have no influence to spare; there's no way I'm cutting any Snares, EMP's or Jackson Howards. I don't really see the point either. I already have a fast advance option, why bother bringing in something out of faction? If I want more fast advance, I'll add in a third biotic labor.

I usually find myself with a decent economy except against Account Siphon. I'm actually going to edit my original post because I forgot to talk about this. Basically, if they Siphon you then you often end up with less than $3 and can't trigger your Overwriter. So they basically Siphon you and then run your double advanced cards with impunity. Whizzard vamp decks also give you a hard time. Like I said before, I don't mind Whizzard too much because I'll just protect my Adonis Campaigns a little more with my efficient ice. I have 3x Archived Memories, so he'll have to repeatedly run through an annoying server if he wants to deny me money.

You say you have a problem with R&D lockdown. Yes, it's problematic, but 3x Snare, 3x Archived Mems and 3x Jackson Howard help A LOT. Snare is a great deterrent, and if they hit one they have to spend several actions recovering. Archived Memories as I mentioned before are great at getting back traps that are trashed right out of R&D. Finally, Jackson Howard to recur both of these awesome cards. You generally only want to use him to get back 3 of these, or to get rid of Agendas if they aren't safe in HQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. H. Horatio
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
The Future is a Game
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't there too much influence in this deck? Next just has 12. This deck has 15.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jhoratio wrote:
Isn't there too much influence in this deck? Next just has 12. This deck has 15.


He has Engineering the Future as the ID.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Hmm. My Ice is not that much different than yours, but I don't seem to have the same luck with keeping them out. Again, maybe I am taking the deck to slow, waiting for things when i should be scoring. I'm not running janus, due to her expensive cost when the economy gets tough, relying on Hem1.0 for my 'Big Ice'


Barrier (4)
2 Eli 1.0
2 Heimdall 1.0

Code Gate (6)
2 Enigma
2 Hourglass
2 Viktor 2.0

Sentry (4)
2 Ichi 1.0
2 Rototurret


I just swapped in the Hourglass and to the Vik2.0, because yeah. Yog Bait. Didn't really think of him that way, and that makes good sense.


On traps: I still feel a little... i donno. weird on only having the 3 advanceable. Drawing into those even in a 45 card deck, is going to be tough. Recursion is nice, but thats a mid game strategy, and I feel that the mid game is closing in smaller and smaller of late. Again, maybe I have been playing to slow - What do you do when you don't draw a Cerb for several turns? After the first agenda you score without ice, maybe the second if you're lucky, they are going to come for your agendas when you try to do it with out ice (Fool me once, sort of deal)

On Clicks - I had thought that I would love for them to spend clicks drawing back up, and spend clicks removing tags, and spend clicks on bioroids. But (and again - perhaps I am playing too slow and need to up my strategy on speed) it quickly seemed to become moot point. What do you do when you run into Testrun/SMC shenanigans that just always seem to have the breaker they need? Maybe that's not that common but I always seem to be playing against it in my meta, so it may just be my bad luck.

R&D lockdown: Snare is only a useful deterrent if they know its there. And even then, my mentality when running Jintekei is 'Its gonna happen, just prepare for it and get it anyways - But the False Lead from Snare is a good thought. I'm certainly going to play around with that. That's a paid cost so you can do it right after you rez an ice, right?

So, without ToL, what do you do with 'Failed' Traps? Trash them? Leave them be? Advance them more?

The broke cash that I have encountered is how I plan on dealing with any 'Trap looking' corps - don't run remotes unless they are broke. What do you do with AS? That is /so extremely prevalent/ that you have to have some sort of strategy, otherwise those 'Traps' are nothing but liabilities. Do rez an Adonis or an Eve, or do you just try to ice up well enough to prevent it? Considering AS seems to be first turn move by a lot of criminals (And even a lot of other runner ids) what is your plan for that? That feels like an auto loose situation there, or at least a very hard to recover from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
Janus isn't in there because I need big ice. It's in there for nailing the runner for being too reckless. You almost never rez it, but when you do it's because it wins you the game. I would recommend against Heimdall 1.0 because it's not very good in general. Too expensive (shutdown really hurts) and too easy to E3 through. I would also recommend against Rototurret. This deck is all about efficient ice, and Rototurret can be broken for $2 by any popular sentry breaker.

I can totally see your point about being worried with having only 3 traps to work with. Overwriter is certainly the most important card in the deck to have early on, so I almost always mulligan unless I have one in my opening hand. It is definitely very painful if you don't draw one in a while. You could add in an AggSec or two to remedy this problem, but they don't do a whole lot early game either. If I don't see an Overwriter for a while, I just work on my economy and try to fast advance out a False Lead. Be patient; the runner will rarely get 7 points before an overwriter comes out.

I'm not sure what you mean about clicks. You ask me what I do when I run into test run/SMC shenanigans, and I'm not really sure what you mean. I don't really care if they can break into any server as long as it's expensive for them to do it. This deck isn't about walling the runner completely; it's about making runs very costly.

Snare really isn't meant to deter runners from hitting R&D so much as make it more painful when they do run. A good runner still runs R&D even when Snares are there, but they are careful that they won't die to them. Snares take 4 clicks and $2 to recover from if you want to remove the tag. That's a lot of resources. And if they hit 2 snares at once and you can afford to trigger them then you probably win. The combination of your efficient ice and Snares means that the runner won't be hitting R&D too often.

I just leave failed traps on the board unless I want to get them back with Archived Memories.

Siphon is a problem, as I have mentioned, but you just need to be very careful and make sure you end up with at least $3. Don't rez ice if it means that you will go below $3 after the siphon is finished. You have to resign yourself to the fact that Siphon will hit you for the full $5 if you have a double advanced remote. I actually find Vamp to be more troublesome because if they have tons of money then they can make you broke for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Okay. I see what your saying here - Its a delaying game, clicks, price, ect for your ice.

It really is coming down, i think, that I'm not going fast enough - it doesnt seem like any of my delaying tricks are any good, and haven't been keep the runner delayed long enough to keep me in the winning side - you mentioned earlier about consistancy of the deck, is that part of what you were talking about - The delaying tactics not being enough to help out?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brinkman
msg tools
Have you considered running Haas Arcology AI in place of Biotic Labor? It would fit in nicely with your general "install-advance-advance" MO.

A possible advantage to Arcology is that once revealed it would pretty much force a trash run on the next turn to prevent a second four-click corp round. Also If you don't rez Arcology right away it would also mimic a failed trap, which (once it is rezzed) could further push the runner towards investigating any other doubly-advance cards that may be laying around.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't that only be advanced while rezzed, so it would never look like an advanced trap?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brinkman
msg tools
"Haas Arcology AI can be advanced only while unrezzed."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
EmJayBee83 wrote:
Have you considered running Haas Arcology AI in place of Biotic Labor? It would fit in nicely with your general "install-advance-advance" MO.

A possible advantage to Arcology is that once revealed it would pretty much force a trash run on the next turn to prevent a second four-click corp round. Also If you don't rez Arcology right away it would also mimic a failed trap, which (once it is rezzed) could further push the runner towards investigating any other doubly-advance cards that may be laying around.


This is actually a fantastic idea. If they don't run it, you pretend it's a failed trap until you want to fast advance something out of your hand (False Lead!) or use an extra click for another EMP. I'm definitely going to try this. The more I think about this the more I like it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynk Fox
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I was rebuilding my variety of this deck (still no Neural EMPs and pushing more for scoring than for flatline) and was wondering on your thoughts of Enigma? Good ice, bad ice, right in line? Feels like a good fit for the deck, but might make it a bit code gate heavy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
I only like to put Enigma in decks that are really short on code gates. If you have too many code gates, especially weak ones, in a deck you become really vulnerable to Yog. This deck already has a decent amount of code gates, so I would really recommend adding non-code gates if you want more ice.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shanahan
United States
Allston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I originally had more Eve campaigns in here, but I didn't like them all that much.
... if the runner decides to trash them the turn after they get rezzed, you trade ... $3 for $5 of the runner with Eve.
... This deck clicks for credits a lot since it doesn't have a whole lot else to do most of the time.


How about Private Contracts? If you have dead clicks anyway, then the initial rez gets you the same $3-for-$5 trade as Eve, plus with the option of some $2 clicks and a minor bonus immunity from Gorman Drip, but you lose clickless econ on the next turn if they let it live.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Godley
Canada
flag msg tools
Private Contracts wouldn't be bad, except I don't know what I would cut for it. I feel like the deck is a pretty tight package. I'm also usually fine for money. With 3x Adonis and 3x Archived memories, you just always have one behind a Viktor 2.0 or Ichi 1.0 and the runner will tend to leave it alone after they run and force you to rez.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.