Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we have the four pilgrims, mighty bull warrios, some demons, soul hunters and a heavenly creature. Some of them come from the novel and some, it seems to me, are just a a concept for the game.

The source material is unknown to me, but I'd like to know what else can be added to the game, in terms of the novel, the TV series or Chinese mythology?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
The bull king had a wife with a giant fan, the monkey king could transform into other animals, the monkey king could pull of some of his hair and turn those into clones of himself, there were heavenly deities that helped the pilgrims out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fishminer wrote:
The bull king had a wife with a giant fan, the monkey king could transform into other animals, the monkey king could pull of some of his hair and turn those into clones of himself, there were heavenly deities that helped the pilgrims out.

Wow!
So there's a lot of room for expansions. This is gonna be awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heinecke
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes and if they want to expand into other Asian cultures they could pull characters or monsters from Thai, Indian or even Japanese mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Zhu
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think the base mythology already has Indian influences because in the story, they are traveling from China into India to get the scriptures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aubrey wrote:
Yes and if they want to expand into other Asian cultures they could pull characters or monsters from Thai, Indian or even Japanese mythology.

There's no need to pull from other mythologies; there's a lot of enemies (List of Characters) they can choose from!

They are using different names, from the novel... I'm not familiar with the Demons and Soul Hunters that are featured in the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamjd_tankbot wrote:
aubrey wrote:

There's no need to pull from other mythologies; there's a lot of enemies (List of Characters) they can choose from!

They are using different names, from the novel... I'm not familiar with the Demons and Soul Hunters that are featured in the game.

Nothing to fear, it seems. There's plenty of characters in there to fill many expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heinecke
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bamjd_tankbot wrote:

Wow I wasn't familiar with the story but that list is impressive. Just from the Bull Demon theme, it looks like Red Boy and Jade Faced Princess would fit into the theme of this release pretty handily.

Edit: looks like Red Boy is already included...called Kogaiji...in the base box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whats the book/anime series?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Parks
United States
Billings
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
krzykoopa wrote:

Journey to the West is the book
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
krzykoopa wrote:

Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heinecke
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They just added Jiangshi (chinese vampires) for Halloween:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aubrey wrote:
They just added Jiangshi (chinese vampires) for Halloween:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1588487845/journey-wrath...

Meh... Easy to pass on this one. I'd rather have seen something related to the story/mythology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how they went with a halloween flavor update
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiderPestilence wrote:
krzykoopa wrote:

It's available free at http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=2ESV4975
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TAMN wrote:
RiderPestilence wrote:
krzykoopa wrote:

It's available free at http://www.epubbud.com/book.php?g=2ESV4975

I just realized this is what enslaved journey to the west was based off of. Thank you for the link I am on a mac what program would I use to read it off that site?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TA MN
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm on an iPad & can read the PDF.......

It's openly available - if that site doesn't work for you, just do a google search & I'm sure you'll get a hit that works.
Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heinecke
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a summary of all of the unlocks in the KS to date:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9fy3yHTy8wZX2lxRF96bGotdzg/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They talk about expansions and new settings for the game on the front page of the KS. Looks like they want to make a big franchise out of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AGN1964 AGN1964
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they did a really good job of the Halloween Zombie update. A little bit of fun, and in keeping with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Cooper
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a really deep well to draw from
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
AGN1964 wrote:
They talk about expansions and new settings for the game on the front page of the KS. Looks like they want to make a big franchise out of this.

In one of the video interviews, they mentioned having a Heaven and Underworld expansions planned out. It really depends on how well they do with funding on this project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teng Sean How
Australia
flag msg tools
There are a lot of stories that surround JttW, but JttW is already a very long epic story in itself. You'd think the Star Wars or LotR franchise is huge but you can't compare to the Chinese population over several hundred years worth of story and characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Jakab

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those interested in the mythology, Stephen Chow's new movie is a prequel to the events in the game: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017561
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tankbot
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There are a few items in the core game and trailer that haven't been revealed yet. Quite possibly because they are still works in progress or Marrow plans on revealing them later. There were also several miniatures that were in neither, which took me by surprise (e.g. Soul Cleansers, Jiangshi, etc.)! So I have really no I idea of what they have planned. I thought it would be fun to make some educated guesses and speculate on what's to come.

Empress Iron Fan
From the box set we haven't seen much of Empress Iron Fan. I took some screenshots from the trailer and did some quick and dirty photomerging.

You can also see a rough outline of the sculpt here.

I'm not entirely sure if this is another concept art of Empress Iron Fan or perhaps an early concept of Dragon Princess Xiao Yan, or maybe a new character altogether?

Lei Kun
Another photomerge.

Scenery

I recognize a few pieces; and there's a few we haven't seen. From foreground to background and left to right:
• Sutra (revealed at the 110K stretch goal)
• Mystical box (70K)
• Well and bucket?
• Demon spawn point (180K)
• Broken gate (200 backers)
• Initiative token (190K)
• Solid gate (200 backers)
• Unknown piece?
• Big ass rock?
I'm thinking the last two were more for showcasing the concept miniatures. The one in the back left looks similar to this scenery piece.

Spider Demon
Of course in this thread Anasthy pointed out there's concept art for the spider demon.

Skeleton Demon?
More recently, Marrow had put up a banner with what looks like skeletal ribs. Maybe this is a hint of the White Bone Spirit?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.