Homestead
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Love Games, Love 'Em!!!
badge
Check out DiceTower.com!
mbmbmbmbmb
For our fourth episode, we compare the horror games Arkham Horror and Betrayal at House on the Hill. We then put Richard Garfield's most popular games head to head - Android: Netrunner against Magic: the Gathering.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/dicetowershowdown/DTS004-DiceTower...

Vote on the games here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/162440/dice-tower-show...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have done Mansions of Madness vs Betrayal at House on the Hill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the showdown was Mansions vs Betrayal, 20 people would have said "it should have been AH vs Betrayal"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
If the showdown was Mansions vs Betrayal, 20 people would have said "it should have been AH vs Betrayal"!

But AH has less in common with Betrayal than Mansions does. This is comparing apples and oranges because the only thing they have in common is that they have a horror theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
juanma99 wrote:

But AH has less in common with Betrayal than Mansions does. This is comparing apples and oranges because the only thing they have in common is that they have a horror theme.

That's what the showdown has been about: comparing apples and oranges. Mansions vs Betrayal would be comparing oranges vs pomelos, no doubt about it, but they are pitting popular games against each other.

For example the last showdown was pitting Ticket to Ride vs Settlers as to which one was a better gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
juanma99 wrote:

That's what the showdown has been about: comparing apples and oranges. Mansions vs Betrayal would be comparing oranges vs pomelos, no doubt about it, but they are pitting popular games against each other.

For example the last showdown was pitting Ticket to Ride vs Settlers as to which one was a better gateway game.

Comparing Mansions vs Betrayal would be asking which is the better haunted mansion game. They are both at the same abstraction level whereas Betrayal would be considered more tactical than Arkham Horror, which would be more operational if they were wargames.

A conversation between Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan as which are a better gateway game is a comparison that makes better sense.

The comparison between Magic: The Gathering and Android: Netrunner is comparing two head-to-head customizable card games.

Comparing two horror games just because they are popular is a worthless comparison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Comparing two horror games just because they are popular is a worthless comparison.

Admittedly without having listened to the podcast yet, perhaps that's what they were going for - which one is the better horror game. Even if it's worthless to you, it might not be to others, that's the whole point. It has the same "worthiness" as your proposed showdown.

The showdowns in essence are highly subjective by nature. I can make the same argument about any showdown, but is only your subjective opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
juanma99 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Admittedly without having listened to the podcast yet, perhaps that's what they were going for - which one is the better horror game. Even if it's worthless to you, it might not be to others, that's the whole point. It has the same "worthiness" as your proposed showdown.

The showdowns in essence are highly subjective by nature. I can make the same argument about any showdown, but is only your subjective opinion.

What's the point in having a discussion if it is just going to devolve into:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Crespo
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I was about to post something in the same lines!

At least we seem to agree on something.

I said that it is your opinion, because that is exactly what we're arguing about, opinions! Well I'm out dude; I'm done with our own showdown on the merits of "showing down" horror games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
Look at me!
badge
Get Schwifty!
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem with both arguments is that neither side is convincing the listener to buy these games. For instance, I've never played Netrunner, and nothing they've said here makes me think I should run out and buy a copy because it is more appealing than MTG because of X, Y, and Z. These seem to be much more geared towards those who have played both games, which is fine, but nothing really comes out of these debates as a result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.