16 Posts

Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Click Paid Ability on Runner Turn rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wojciech Gębczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
I was thinking about usage Mandatory Upgrades (MU) and Personal Security Forces (PSF) on runner turn.

My resoning: Kate has "Lower the install cost of the first program or piece of hardware you install each turn by 1." and it works on runner and corp turn - great!

MU has "You have 1 additional [Click] to spend each turn." - this means that works on corp and runner turn.

You cannot use actions as they can be triggered only on corp turn, but any paid ability that required click can be used with MU.

Corp hit Snare on first click, and before its action you use PSF - flatline
Corp
Director Haas + MU -> trigger additional 4c from Government Contracts on Runner turn.
Runner indexed on first click, use MU and draw 2 cards from RnD.

What do you think? On first look this is amazing... Any holes in this reasoning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
mbmbmbmbmb
wgebczyk wrote:
I was thinking about usage Mandatory Upgrades (MU) and Personal Security Forces (PSF) on runner turn.

My resoning: Kate has "Lower the install cost of the first program or piece of hardware you install each turn by 1." and it works on runner and corp turn - great!

MU has "You have 1 additional [Click] to spend each turn." - this means that works on corp and runner turn.

You cannot use actions as they can be triggered only on corp turn, but any paid ability that required click can be used with MU.

Corp hit Snare on first click, and before its action you use PSF - flatline
Corp
Director Haas + MU -> trigger additional 4c from Government Contracts on Runner turn.

What do you think? On first look this is amazing... Any holes in this reasoning?

The corp only gets actions on their turn. Mandatory Upgrades gives them 4 clicks per turn to do with what they want instead of 3. That's all. Nothing on the runner's turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lieffring
United States
Athens
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
the Rules wrote:
Each player, during his turn, takes actions by spending clicks.
A player can only spend his clicks during his own Action phase,
and he must spend all of his clicks in each Action phase

So, I guess technically Mandatory Upgrades gives you a click on the Runner's turn, which is impossible to use, but which you are also required to use somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Gębczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
I'm not talking about actions, I'm talking about clicks and using paid abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Chan
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wgebczyk wrote:
I'm not talking about actions, I'm talking about clicks and using paid abilities.

There is no distinction here. The rulebook states that paid abilities that costs clicks are essentially actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wgebczyk wrote:

A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an Action. Actions can only be performed on your turn. It's in the rulebook.
FFG, on page 21 of the rulebook, wrote:
Paid abilities- In order to trigger a paid ability, a trigger cost must be paid. The most common trigger costs are spending clicks, credits, or hosted counters, and trashing cards. A card’s trigger cost is always listed in its text box before the effect, following the format “cost: effect.” A paid ability can be triggered an unlimited number of times as long as the cost is paid and any restrictions specified by the effect are observed. Paid abilities can be triggered at the beginning of each turn, before and after each player action, and at certain points during a run, unless the ability requires a click, in which case it must be triggered as an action. An example of a paid ability is the card Magnum Opus, which reads, “[Click]: Gain 2 [Credits].”

FFG, on page 30 of the rulebook, wrote:
Action: What a player performs on his turn whenever he spends one or more clicks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Gębczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
Yeah, after reading the rules as of now Corp cannot spend clicks on Runner turn.
But still I don't buy "A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an Action". A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an... paid ability.

Thanks for referring to rules! )

OK, I'll go to look for another exploit ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wgebczyk wrote:
But still I don't buy "A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an Action".

FFG's rulebooks can be kinda terrible at times, but that statement is just plain unsupportable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wojciech Gębczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
AFTER your last edit it perfectly agree that this is an Action. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Gauthier
France
flag msg tools
wgebczyk wrote:
Yeah, after reading the rules as of now Corp cannot spend clicks on Runner turn.
But still I don't buy "A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an Action". A paid ability with cost "[Click]" is an... paid ability.

Thanks for referring to rules! )

Yeah that's exactly that. The corporation can't use click paid abilities out of its turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
IncompleteUserNa wrote:
So, I guess technically Mandatory Upgrades gives you a click on the Runner's turn, which is impossible to use, but which you are also required to use somehow?

"That which is not forbidden, is Mandatory."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
wgebczyk wrote:

Still relatively new, but the Runner can only install on the Runner Turn, correct? It's a click ability.

Most card games have "Rounds" and "Turns", one of which is made up by the sum of the other per player. It's interesting Netrunner does not do this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
VTSvsAlucard wrote:
Still relatively new, but the Runner can only install on the Runner Turn, correct? It's a click ability.

The Runner can install cards on the Corp's turn via Personal Workshop or Self-Modifying Code.

Quote:
Most card games have "Rounds" and "Turns", one of which is made up by the sum of the other per player. It's interesting Netrunner does not do this.

I know of no *CG that does this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon bradford
msg tools
mbmb
wgebczyk wrote:

Corp

Sidenote, you can't run Government Contracts and MU in the same deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
etherial wrote:
I know of no *CG that does this.

Most of the games that come to mind are not CCGs. One game that has an issue with this is 40k, which has "Game Turns" and "Player Turns". Both are mentioned on the same page, and immediately followed by a sentence to assume all references to a "turn" means a "player turn" (I might have that backwards). Why they did not name them differently, I do not know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
wgebczyk wrote:

Please don't. You'll enjoy the game a lot more if you focus your energy on creating strong decks you are good at piloting, rather than trying to rules lawyer your way to something broken that, even if you end up being correct, will just get hit with a clarification or errata later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.