Popular Tags: [View All]
Annie M-G
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

My bday is comming fast and I would really appreciate to receive a board game, so I would need recommandations.

I think I'm in the mood for a "medium" game, you know something not too long but with enough meat to feel satisfied.

After a little research I've come up with some titles (see below, tell me what you think about them), but feel free to suggest something different!

Castles of Burgundy
Myrmes
Alien frontiers
The pillars of the earth
Evo
Lords of waterdeep

Thank you and have a nice day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played CoB, Pillars of the Earth, and LoW. I think CoB fills the meaty/medium game the best although it plays best with two. If you are looking for more players, LoW would be good although it is on the gateway side. Myrmes and Alien Frontiers would be in there as recommendations, but again, I haven't played them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you mention, I've only played Castles of Burgundy and Lords of Waterdeep.

Troyes > Castles of Burgundy, IMO; plus you're asking for "meat", which Troyes has more of than Castles.

Lords of Waterdeep is a great game for what it is: an entry-level, worker-placement with a less Euro-geeky theme, and more of a D&D-geeky theme. It's generally very well accepted by all entry-level gamers. So if that's what you're looking for, it's a winner. If you want something with a little more meat, it may be a miss.

Here are a few of my favorite medium-weight games:

Snowdonia - worker placement, very endearing theme, interesting decisions, plays 1-5 great. If you want a worker-placement game with a little more meat than LoW, this is my top recommendation. It has some similarities to LoW, but I think it does a few things better.

Trajan - If you're needing a Feld, this is my preferred. The puzzling action selection in this game is very satisfying. It plays great at all play counts.

Navegador - The rondel makes this game move along quickly. It has a really cool economy built in. The exploration and set-collection scoring are simple and challenging all at once. Great game at all play counts.

Puerto Rico - It's a classic for a reason. It plays great from 2-5 players. It's filled with difficult decisions, and they're all fun decisions. The role-selection mechanic is best implemented in this game and one other amazing game (TI3). It really is brilliant design.

Suburbia - A city builder, a la Sim City. It's great fun at all play counts 2-5 (I've never played solo, but hear good things). Fun to create combos inside your city, and while the tiles themselves don't give you much visual thematic integration, the function of each on fits in very well. It's fun to how your little city develops each game.

Hope this helps. Good luck and have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annie M-G
Canada
Laval
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thedacker wrote:

If you're needing a Feld, this is my preferred.

I don't know what a "Feld" is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PlumedeGivre wrote:
thedacker wrote:

If you're needing a Feld, this is my preferred.

I don't know what a "Feld" is...

Stefan Feld is the designer for Castles of Burgundy and Trajan. In the last few years, he has taken the Euro-designing world by storm with many popular titles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the moment, I own only two games designed by Stefan Feld (The Castles of Burgundy and Macao.) yet they're my favorites. As for the others on your list, I can't say because I've never played them.

So, +1 for The Castles of Burgundy.

Btw, Happy birthday meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
NELSON SANTIAGO
United States
independence
KY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers +1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Duvall
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might consider a medium-weight Feld title, which is available online for a very good price: The Speicherstadt.
Great auction mechanic and a screw-your-neighbor element. Money management is essential (that is the "punishment" aspect of this game). Scales nicely to 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.