Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I know the deckbuilding debate has been done before, and this thread won't end it either. With that said, I am debating if I want to dive into a second deckbuilder. I currently have and love every Dominion set. I am personally not turned off by the weak theme or early lackluster artwork. What I love about Dominion is the potential for decks full of synergy and the wide variety of unique, but powerful card combinations that I am still discovering after playing the game for years.

To give an example for those that know the game, the other day, I was examining setups. A card came out which is usually really weak and one I would ignore, Transmute. Also in the setup though was Great Hall. As I looked at those two together, all of a sudden, a card I avoid became very appealing for the possibility of playing it with Great Hall. That discovery of card combinations is why I love Dominion.

I know that if I started getting into an LCG or CCG, I would waste way too much time prepping decks for play. Since I have other things I want to spend my free time on, I'd rather save the fun of building a synergistic deck for when I'm playing the game. With that said, what other deckbuilders (in the BGG definition sense) allow for that synergistic, combo building potential? I tried the Cryptozoic system with the DC Comics Deck-Building Game, and found that it absolutely fails to provide synergy within the cards, which was a huge disappointment. Each card in that game had its own little mini-benefit, but there practically no effects that enhanced or were enhanced by other cards in the game. As a result, it is on my trade list.

I want a deckbuilder in which players look for cards to play with each other because their combined effect ends up being more than the sum of their parts. What Deckbuilders do this as well as Dominion, if not better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), hands down.

Here's a good thread on what the two have in common, and the differences.
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/14809/faceoff-puzzle-strik...

Having said all that, I don't think one is better than the other. I think both are enjoyable but Dominion is more pure whereas PS throws player interaction into the mix, introducing another variable to be wary of
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
Moe45673 wrote:
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition), hands down.
.... whereas PS throws player interaction into the mix, introducing another variable to be wary of

However that increased player interaction can sometimes work against combination synergy. It does make the valuation challenge in various banks much more interesting, but it also results in some banks where the "cool combo" potential are likely to lose to countermeasures available in the same bank.

Don't get me wrong, I was over 2000+ games in before I stopped seeing "whoa, that's new" combos in a game with only 51 variable chips, 60 character chips and 8 always-in-every-game chips. And I really enjoy the added wrinkle in valuation that having such countermeasure chips available adds, but it might not be what the OP is looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Puzzle Strike (Third Edition) is a great game, lots of combos. No regrets on buying that game.

Nightfall is a game my wife and I really enjoy. The chaining mechanism is pretty unique and makes for interesting card combination decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game provides the best synergy in a deck builder I've ever seen. The cards are designed to combo with each other and themselves.

Nightfall does it very well also, but it is very subtle and has a steeper curve to learn how to best maximize the synergy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like how Ascension uses cards that stay in play from turn to turn to build up your available actions, also the four factions guide you in picking cards that will work well together. Add in the events and trophy monsters that you can use when you need a quick boost and you have many many combo options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.