Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Summertime is Christmas time
mbmbmbmbmb
Shortly after I finished The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I bought and downloaded its sequel, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, planning to play it before too long. Ocarina is one of the most famous video games of all time, and I loved it to bits, despite it's age and playing it in the shadow the my favourite game of all time, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (which is some ways is another sequel).

Having played a bunch of other stuff since, including Ōkami and Xenoblade Chronicles, I've got a hankering to play Zelda again. Specifically, to finally play The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Although I have seen video reviews, this remains the most mysterious and secret Zelda game, perhaps the least played. It runs on the same engine as Ocarina, and carries over some of the same characters, I believe, but my understanding is that the story is far different to the other games.

So here I am, firing up the Wii virtual console, plugging in my Classic Controller, and entering the dark forest of Majora's Mask...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck, have fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am eager to play this, I have the game cube disc, which ofcoarse plays in the wii.
Let us know how you get on- have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 1

I like it already!! Back in the Ocarina of Time vibe. Although the camera seems a little low, my head is obscuring the view a bit.

Exploring Clock Town. Cute Scottie dog keeps biting me! Lots of people to meet and places to explore.

Ok apparently you can't save the game until you get the sword or ocarina back. Hmmm, so I'm going to have to devote a bit more time to this than I can right now.

There's a lot less tutorial here, you're expected to be familiar with the OOT controls. But some new controls are introduced.

Look it's Navi! Only it's not, it's "Tatl".

Ok so I'm going to have to use the virtual console save state trick: exit out of the game with the blue home button, then when I come back it will put me back where I was (that's the theory, never done it before).

Edit: Nope it doesn't work for N64 games. Oh well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
I personally think this is a better game than Ocarina - but I am often in the minority. I think the novel mechanics and slightly off tone of the game give it a bit more character. That said, I played Ocarina late in the game, and so was able to appreciate the off-kilter approach that this game used.

Really looking forward to seeing this from fresh eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eager to see further updates as you delve deeper!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry. It usually takes me a few days to get started.

Edit: Here, browse my previous session reports while you're waiting for me to get my act together...

http://videogamegeek.com/geeklist/157691/my-session-reports

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I sincerely hope you love this game as much as I do. It's one of those that instantly snaps me into a particular mood and feeling. Maybe I'll play it again one of these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
Beat it once without using any tutorials or walkthroughs. After you've completed it, beat it again getting 100% items, cheating if you have to in order to acquire everything. It will be worth it, but I won't tell you why so no spoilers about what happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
wizcreations wrote:
Beat it once without using any tutorials or walkthroughs. After you've completed it, beat it again getting 100% items, cheating if you have to in order to acquire everything. It will be worth it, but I won't tell you why so no spoilers about what happens.

I support this endeavor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enjoy some homing fireballs!
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was actually the first Zelda game that I disliked.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion of someone who dislikes the older games and likes the newer ones. OoT is usually considered the transition point between old and new, but Majora's Mask is when the series really went off the rails (insert "Spirit Tracks" joke here), IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 2

Wow this really is quite different to the other Zelda games. I just went through my first 3 days. There's a feeling of wandering around not knowing what to do, just exploring the town and trying to piece together what's going on, except you are given occasional random tasks, and there's Tatl/Navi to nag you about them!

Had a few issues with the dialogue controls, several times I was clicking through some dialogue and ending up selecting an option I didn't want to do, in one case spending a bunch of money to play a game I didn't want to play (or understand how to play). There seem to be quite a few minigames in the town too.

Felt quite happy that I managed to accomplish a few tasks before the end of 3 days.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Including getting the Ocarina back and saving, just before the moon hit.

Can't remember some of the controls from Ocarina of Time, so feeling a bit clumsy. Almost got killed by a skulltula blush (When I played OOT I DID get killed by my first Debu Baba!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSSION 3

Well my second 3 days was frustrating. Hate losing all my stuff angry I wonder if I'll have to buy those maps again? Let time run out to see what would happen.

I explored a little around the central field and in the swamp, but wasn't really able to accomplish anything. I think I need a bottle but haven't found where to get one. The thing about people and shops coming and going at different times of day is annoying. I don't want to have to keep notes on everything.

It seems they have remapped some of the buttons compared with the OOT controls. I think R and L have been switched with ZR and ZL, which is much less comfortable as these are smaller buttons. I keep pressing ZR by accident (and putting on the Deku Mask which I have assigned there, thus having to sit through that annoying mini cut scene multiple times. I guess I'll have to leave ZR unassigned to avoid this).

AAAARRRGGGHH!!! UNSKIPPABLE CUTSCENES!!! THAT I'VE SEEN BEFORE!!! angry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Side note - unless it's different on the emulation, you can hit A to skip that cut scene when you put on the mask.

I do recall that, although there is an OK log of the comings and goings of people available, after coming back and playing games with better quest tracking, I was a little flustered by it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 4

I've no idea what I'm doing. I'm wandering around town looking for a clue. I collected a few entries in my notebook but not sure what use they are. I've seen Kafei but don't know what to do about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I know you don't like tips, but ignore kafei for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 5

Kafei is the only decent lead I have to go on!

Looked up some general tips online (as getting bored and frustrated) and one suggested going to the ranch. Everyone there very depressing. Tried to round up the chickens, but there were only 9 of them! I felt sure there should be 10 (gamers intuition). Checked on the internet, and yup, should be 10. Went out and back in ... 10! Man it's slow when Link is marching with that bird mask on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 6

Ok I found out where to get a bottle (looked online). Made it to the Deku Palace, so some small sense of progress. Got entirely fed up with the platforming puzzle to get to the Temple, so saved at the owl and gave up for today.

It's certainly not an easy game to get into. The constant nagging time pressure, very awkward save system, constantly losing my stuff, having to repeat stuff, and lack of clear direction are all very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Too Much Candy
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
Majora's Mask is my favourite Legend of Zelda game, so it's interesting to hear from a player who is less enamoured with it. Hopefully you hang in there until the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark O'Reilly
United Kingdom
Chester
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
Majora's Mask is my favourite Legend of Zelda game, so it's interesting to hear from a player who is less enamoured with it. Hopefully you hang in there until the end.

Simon,
Your entries are compulsive reading, as super chutney said, I hope you hang on in there... We're taking this path with you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 7

Well I was stumped by the platforming puzzle in the Outer Garden, and now I'm stumped by the one on the way to the temple too. Keep falling in the poison. I remember the difficulty of walking along planks from OOT, but now I have nasty enemies to deal with at the same time. Anyway, I still need to complete the Outer Garden platforming apparently...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed this and OoT, but OoT more. I will have to get around to playing some of the newer Zelda games I have.

Hope you figure out what you are doing soon Simon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 8

Ok it took me QUITE a few times to beat the Outer Garden platform puzzle. Watching a walkthrough helped with dealing with the Deku Scrubs. The Woodfall Temple approach was also very tough, but again I watched a walkthrough (thanks to TheZeldaDungeon at youtube) and was able to do it finally. I have just opened the temple.

I think I am gradually understanding the save system: from GameFAQs

"You either save by playing the Song of Time, which saves the game and brings you back to Day 1 (you'll lose all your money and non-key items), or you can save at the owl statues (like the one in South Clocktown near the tower). Saving at the owl will let you resume where you left off (so if you saved one Day 2, you resume on Day 2 at the same spot)."

Remember to save when you stop playing! blush And if you save at an owl, when you reload it forgets the save (your last Song of Time save will still be there).

I also feel I now have some items that make the game more manageable: the bunny mask, the Song of Soaring, a bottle. I've collected a full extra heart so far too. It's tough when you only have 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SESSION 9

Well I managed to "complete" Woodfall Temple before the end of time (as it were). I only got 11 of the 15 stray fairies, but once you beat the boss it's kinda awkward to go back and look for the others. Forgot to use the fairy mask, and can't remember what it does.

Experience with other Zelda games certainly helped a lot. Managed to beat the boss first time, not sure how exactly, as I wasn't looking at him much, but the rabbit mask sure was helpful. The miniboss gave me more trouble actually. Remembered a few annoyances from OOT: difficulty steering when running, slowness to climb out of the water/poison, difficulty aiming with the stick, bad camera angles, difficulty locking on.

But pretty pleased with the dungeon all up.

Got rather annoyed with the monkey's gift though, which involves a high speed chase through a maze (much like the one in OOT) which goes on FOREVER. After 3 attempts gave up. Put my money in the bank and saved/rewound time.

There's a number of things which are echoed in other Zelda games (other than obvious things carried over from OOT):
Forest monkeys = Twilight Princess
Maze pursuit = Ocarina of Time
Stealth garden = Ocarina of Time
Deku flying = Wind Waker
Owl statues = Twilight Princess
Bird statue save/warp points = Skyward Sword
Hide and seek gang = Wind Waker
A ghost that splits into several copies = Twilight Princess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The fairy mask will sparkle when you're in a room with a fairy in it and I think, though I can't remember that it will draw the fairy towards you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.