Recommend
29 
 Thumb up
 Hide
38 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: Hand-Crafted Gate Stands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Home-made Gate Stands
Hello again AH fans!

I've been experimenting with different components and come up with a couple of new gate stand designs which use Micro Art Studio bases from Poland that I would really appreciate some feedback on. As with my previous stands, all the tentacles were sculpted by hand with green stuff.

(Some of these pictures were modelled with the Eldritch Horror components as I happened to have it out last night - the portal dimensions are identical to those found in AH so they illustrate the stands in action just as well.)

Here's the primary design with a dark wash effect (similar to my initial stands) which gives them a weathered look that matches the tone of the board well:




Here's another set that has just been primed but not washed; The effect is a cleaner, less contrasty look, and might appeal to anyone wishing to paint them themselves:




I personally prefer the dirtier, weathered look, but thought the stand could benefit from a clean, flat finish so I tried painting the base firstly in a pale shade:



...and then I tried one in black:



I also have an alternative design which has a slightly smaller footprint and no gravestones (yet to be shaded):




I would very much like to know if anyone has a view on which variants you feel are most effective. I am personally leaning towards one particular look, but am keen to hear feedback from you the gamers.

Once I have a clear idea of what seems to be most popular I will look into the best possible channel for me to sell my first couple of sets (Etsy, ebay etc).

Thanks in advance for any useful comments,

Mark.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Home-made Gate Stands
Dirty with the black base would look best. GREAT work, btw!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Home-made Gate Stands
Very nice!

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi again fellow Arkhamites,

It's been a while, but I've finally set up a little Etsy shop where I'm now selling my Arkham Horror gate stands.

I've done my best to keep costs to a minimum but they're still pretty expensive simply due to how long they take to make so I'm not expecting to give up my day job any time soon!

But anyway, here's a link to my shop for anyone who may be interested: Sorastro's.

I've stuck with the gravestone design, but am offering three different finishes:



...including the fully-painted version:





Thanks again for the feedback and encouragement on my earlier designs.

Mark.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Krebs
msg tools
Hi! First of all I love the design of your gate stands. They're phenomenal. I tried going to your Etsy page to purchase but I get the message that "the shop is taking a short break."

Just wondering when these will be back up for sale, if ever? Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kylekrebs wrote:
Hi! First of all I love the design of your gate stands. They're phenomenal. I tried going to your Etsy page to purchase but I get the message that "the shop is taking a short break."

Just wondering when these will be back up for sale, if ever? Thanks!


Hi Kyle! Thanks for the comments. You're not the only person to have asked me about this. I do enjoy making the stands and they've been very well received by the people who have bought them.

However I'm currently investing all of my "extra-curricular" time into my YouTube channel (It's been doing rather well lately and I'd like to build on its current momentum.) Once I've finished the current series of videos I'm working on I might make up a batch of stands (they are quite labor intensive!) and re-open the shop until the stock is clear. Realistically this probably won't be until nearer the summer.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Thanks,

Mark.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Krebs
msg tools
Alright, best of luck! I'll just wait until they're back in stock and hopefully I'll be able to grab them then.


p.s. I just realized you're the same guy who's YouTube channel I'm following to learn how to paint my Star Wars Imperial Assault figures! I'm following your tutorial now to paint my storm troopers! haha Excellent quality tutorials, thanks for those!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kylekrebs wrote:
Alright, best of luck! I'll just wait until they're back in stock and hopefully I'll be able to grab them then.


p.s. I just realized you're the same guy who's YouTube channel I'm following to learn how to paint my Star Wars Imperial Assault figures! I'm following your tutorial now to paint my storm troopers! haha Excellent quality tutorials, thanks for those!


Lol that's a bit crazy! We obviously share similar taste in games Well at least you can probably appreciate why I might struggle to find the time to work on both projects at the same time (and I wouldn't like to overstretch myself and allow quality to suffer).

The least I can do is if/when I get round to making some more stands I will put up advanced notice in this thread to give you an early heads up.

Cheers,

Mark.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Krebs
msg tools
Yeah, I think we do! After I found your YouTube videos I subscribed and look forward to one day painting up my zombicide zombies also haha. In all seriousness though I know how time consuming it is to make videos like that and at that quality level so thank you. It's nice to see tutorial videos for painting figures other than warhammer 40k for a change

Anyway, I'll do subscribe to this thread so I don't miss out on your notice. Peace!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
kylekrebs wrote:
Hi! First of all I love the design of your gate stands. They're phenomenal. I tried going to your Etsy page to purchase but I get the message that "the shop is taking a short break."

Just wondering when these will be back up for sale, if ever? Thanks!


Hi Kyle! Thanks for the comments. You're not the only person to have asked me about this. I do enjoy making the stands and they've been very well received by the people who have bought them.

However I'm currently investing all of my "extra-curricular" time into my YouTube channel (It's been doing rather well lately and I'd like to build on its current momentum.) Once I've finished the current series of videos I'm working on I might make up a batch of stands (they are quite labor intensive!) and re-open the shop until the stock is clear. Realistically this probably won't be until nearer the summer.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Thanks,

Mark.




Hello Sorastro! Any update on when you might reopen to sell these gate stands? Really looking forward to them! Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Hello!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
reaper829 wrote:
Sorastro wrote:
kylekrebs wrote:
Hi! First of all I love the design of your gate stands. They're phenomenal. I tried going to your Etsy page to purchase but I get the message that "the shop is taking a short break."

Just wondering when these will be back up for sale, if ever? Thanks!


Hi Kyle! Thanks for the comments. You're not the only person to have asked me about this. I do enjoy making the stands and they've been very well received by the people who have bought them.

However I'm currently investing all of my "extra-curricular" time into my YouTube channel (It's been doing rather well lately and I'd like to build on its current momentum.) Once I've finished the current series of videos I'm working on I might make up a batch of stands (they are quite labor intensive!) and re-open the shop until the stock is clear. Realistically this probably won't be until nearer the summer.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Thanks,

Mark.




Hello Sorastro! Any update on when you might reopen to sell these gate stands? Really looking forward to them! Thanks!


Hi Michael!

I'm currently still spending all my free time producing video content for the YouTube channel and raising funds via Patreon in an effort to earn enough to be able to work full-time from home. It's a massive effort that is taking up all of my extra time but if I get there then I will be able to create some more stands as a sideline.

This will hopefully be next year some time if the Patreon campaign continues to grow at the rate it has been.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Sorastro.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Sorastro wrote:
reaper829 wrote:
Sorastro wrote:
kylekrebs wrote:
Hi! First of all I love the design of your gate stands. They're phenomenal. I tried going to your Etsy page to purchase but I get the message that "the shop is taking a short break."

Just wondering when these will be back up for sale, if ever? Thanks!


Hi Kyle! Thanks for the comments. You're not the only person to have asked me about this. I do enjoy making the stands and they've been very well received by the people who have bought them.

However I'm currently investing all of my "extra-curricular" time into my YouTube channel (It's been doing rather well lately and I'd like to build on its current momentum.) Once I've finished the current series of videos I'm working on I might make up a batch of stands (they are quite labor intensive!) and re-open the shop until the stock is clear. Realistically this probably won't be until nearer the summer.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Thanks,

Mark.




Hello Sorastro! Any update on when you might reopen to sell these gate stands? Really looking forward to them! Thanks!


Hi Michael!

I'm currently still spending all my free time producing video content for the YouTube channel and raising funds via Patreon in an effort to earn enough to be able to work full-time from home. It's a massive effort that is taking up all of my extra time but if I get there then I will be able to create some more stands as a sideline.

This will hopefully be next year some time if the Patreon campaign continues to grow at the rate it has been.

Sorry I can't be any more specific than that!

Sorastro.


Thanks for the update! I'll continue to wait - none of the other gate stands hold a candle to what you produce
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dugan alexzander
msg tools
any chance you're still making these?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.