Christof VO
Belgium
Hamme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suburbia is a great game: it's not too light, it's not too heavy, it appeals to a lot of different gamers and it plays very well with all suggested numbers of players. My wife and I play this game regularly and we both enjoy this a lot, so the Suburbia Inc. expansion was definitely on our shortlist for Essen this year.
Here are some thoughts about our first play.

The challenge tiles: these are great and add little mini goals during the game. We got the "have at least 3 yellow tiles" (going from A to B)and both achieved this. I think it's interesting to mention that these kinds of challenges encourage the purchase of the basic tiles (heavy factory, suburbs, community park) because you want to make it in time and have enough of the prerequisite tiles. I think this is a good way to get the basic tiles into your borough because these are otherwise mostly neglected (at least in our games).
Our second challenge (when going from B to C) was "have at least 45$", a goal we both did not make. Wife was still far off and I missed it by 2$. I think these kind of goals require a lot more dedication to achieve then the first ones.
3 border tiles were built, 1 by me and 2 by my wife, unfortunately she forgot that having the least borders was 1 of the public goals. Apart from that, these tiles are great and can add really a lot of bonuses to your borough. I quickly built the Bay, giving significant money bonuses, my wife had the radioactive waste disposal which is also a really great tile when you only place it next to 1 other hex. Second border she had was the National Park, superb for boosting your reputation. She got this at the end of the B-phase. I was in the lead at the time but she quickly got closer with this tile, investing in it. Together with her investment into her Stadium. Unfortunately for her she missed out on both public goals, otherwise this would have given her the win for sure. And above that, the end game marker came rather quick in the C-phase, so she couldn't benefit enough from her huge reputation advantage. The game ended in a 108 - 94 score. whistle

The new buildings also look great, I really like the redevelopment planner which allows you fit a later tile into your borough for a cheap price. This can be extremely powerful. In the end our boroughs looked like this.

mine

and wife

scoring

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when reading about this that in order to make the goals work, the new rules balance out how many turns each player has in a game. It looks like your wife acquired 2 borders, doubled tiles twice, and acquired 10 tiles, which adds up to 14 points. On your board I see 1 border, 1 doubler, and 13 tiles, which adds up to 15 turns. Does this new set not ensure every player takes the same amount of turns or am I missing something?

Great session report though! I am definitely looking forward to playing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duffy
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mr Worf.....Fire!
mbmbmbmbmb
The name escapes me but there is a building which can be replaced by another in the exp. that would explain the 15-14.

Edit: Redevelopment Planner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel West
United States
Springfield
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Grildensnork wrote:
The name escapes me but there is a building which can be replaced by another in the exp. that would explain the 15-14.

Edit: Redevelopment Planner
Ah yes, I remember reading about that. Thans for the clarification. The expansion looks great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christof VO
Belgium
Hamme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm indeed that the redevelopment planner was used in this game :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.