Recommend
28 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Five reasons I chose to Support this KS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan K
United States
Canton
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting pretty excited about this game and thought I'd post a few reasons why I'm looking forward to this KS Campaign and the next 10 month journey with Flying Frog.

1. Flying Frogs Reputation – In my eyes Flying Frog Productions is a safe bet in Kickstarter. I’ve seen other games come up on KS by people and companies I have never heard of. They were successful and hopefully those games come to print. Since FFP has successfully made several games that I see in my local retailer and online, I am confident this game will come to print and I will receive my copy next year. I think this is taken for granted some times. We know the horror stories of The Doom that came to Atlantic City. They probably could’ve seen this game come to print without kickstarter. But, the buzz that Kickstarter has provided should help the popularity of the game. It’s already climbed the BGG Hotness chart.
2.Flying Frogs Continued Support of Games- I only have played Last Night on Earthbut I’ve seen Flying Frog continually support their games by participating in BGG forums, releasing scenarios and promos for sale on their website, and releasing new expansions for all their games. I’ve even posted on thezombiegame.com about a solo scenario for LNOE and Jason himself replied. Just click on Jason’s name BGG name and you’ll see he has over 400 comments. I have a feeling this game is only going to grow and it is exciting to get in on ground level.
3. Character Advancement- Since Pathfinder ACG has come out, I’ve really enjoyed the idea of campaigning and advancing a character. As a former RPG player this scratches an itch I’ve had for years without having to have a Game Master and read a huge rule book, roll characters, and read pages of scenario stories. I’m glad they are including it in this game with skill trees and certain abilities that have dice rolls to avoid encounters. If its like Pathfinder, but with minis and a board, I’d be excited. But, I think this game can potentially be better for my taste than that game has been.
4. Kickstarter Promos- It’s been fun to watch the new promo pieces roll out as the game has become more successful. I bought Dungeon Roll with promos and having the promos has been a game changer. I couldn’t image playing without it. If these promos expand the fun and variety of the game as much as they seem they will. Then, I’m going to be so glad to have them. Already a new world to explore, new enemies, and two new character classes for the Outlaw level. Sweet mercy, that sounds cool.
5. A Cool Theme – I’m kind of sick of wizards, orcs, and the like. I don’t think my gaming group likes those kind of themes as much either. But, old west meets The Hills Have Eyes. Now, that is something that sounds like an adventure.

I’ve invested in a few different Kickstarters and I like to see the different levels and choices. I choose to get invested in this one so I could go on this great journey with Flying Frog to see a great game made over the next year. I can’t wait to get updates and hear how the game is going. It’s going to be a fun day to open a huge box with two games and a bunch of rewards.

If anyone from FFP reads this, let me say: Go make a hell of a game! Can’t wait to play it and I can’t wait to see your creativity taken to another level. You guys are great. Keep up the good work.
43 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... I only have played Last Night on Earth, but I’ve seen Flying Frog continually support their games by participating in BGG forums, releasing scenarios and promos for sale on their website, and releasing new expansions for all their games...


JoJo the Dancing Bear of Invasion from Outer Space would like to speak with you.



Well thought out spiel, ZombieDad2. Thanks for it.

No, really - thanks. Now I am going to protest this KS campaign because they've treated IfOS like crap.

Grrr.

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
Avatar
mbmb
Hear hear! I'm with you 100% (even though I'm still keen on those orcs and such, this does look totally rad!)

And if you need a fix for IfOS, you really ought to check out Mars Attacks, also coming through over KS from an established company, Mantic
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see some positivity around these parts, for once! I'm also a happy supporter of this campaign, and I wish FFP all the best luck with it! I've greatly enjoyed all of their games that I've played, and I don't have any reason to doubt that SOBS will be any different in that regard. And like you say, FFP has always struck me as one of those 'for gamers, by gamers' companies with how they've supported (some) of their games with free add-ons and extras.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Colm
msg tools
mbmb
Or we can be honest and say that 99% of people are buying it because it looks like a cool game they want to own and altruism and truth and purity has nothing whatsoever to do with it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like an amazing game! Glad I backed it!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris White
United States
north richland hills
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Last Night on Earth without ever having played it because I love zombies, and it was pretty much recommended by everybody everywhere as the best zombie game available. Guess what? It was great.

I later bought A Touch of Evil and Invasion From Outer Space without ever having played either one of them, because I thought LNOE was so good. They, also, are both great. In fact, I think ATOE is such a great game that I bought a new ridiculously big dining room table (9 feet with the extensions put in) just so I could have room to play with all the expansions.

I would buy Shadows of Brimstone off the shelf without having played it, because I know it will be great. I am backing on Kickstarter, because the extra funding will give Flying Frog the opportunity to make the game even greater. You can tell that to anybody in the other forums that is surprised at Flying Frog's fan loyalty.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have a head start in wild west RPGs and have more mythos RPG miniatures, particularly if you play the Deadlands RPG. While Deadlands isn't specifically mythos, there's nothing that prevents you from adapting these miniatures to the system. Likewise, you can use the mythos mini's for Call of Cthulhu. Even the 2D tiles would make terrific unusual locations.

Deadlands meets Mythos
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40703&sid=31cb7a...

Free 7th edition Call of Cthulhu
http://catalog.chaosium.com/product_info.php?products_id=690...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Karns
United States
North Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm incredibly glad to see some other people looking forward to this as much as I am. Once I run out of the many, many options for the game as it will come with, I'll be bringing in the Martians from IFOS to clean out those mines. Let's see how those Chuthulus handle a Zard Beast!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
I can look forward to the game and still not like the greedy, underhanded way this Kickstarter is being run or the crazy prices FF charges for their mini-expansions.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Harris
United States
Oshkosh
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
You also have a head start in wild west RPGs and have more mythos RPG miniatures, particularly if you play the Deadlands RPG.


This +1. I love Deadlands. It's my favorite RPG setting ever. This feel like a Deadlands board game to me! (Plus all these juicy minis and tiles I can use in a Deadlands game!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny W
United States
Long Lake
Unspecified
flag msg tools
http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11475.phtml

Cold Steel Reign

Dead Lands is a grand game, but Cold Steel Reign is way more gritty and dense. Cold Steel Reign has the complexity of Rolemaster... and oceans of theme.

Cool Steel Reign for those that do not know have released:

A fat printed player's book.
A 400 some page pdf. file game master's manual.
A 40 some page scenario with a few outrageous beasts.

Patrick, the mastermind has threatened to release several more game manuals - steam dragons, additional character classes, and...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It is nice to see some positivity around this game! Initially I wasn't too overwhelmed by the idea, even with the sneak-peek stuff that came out earlier in the month, but having read through the ks page, I was sold. I'm a huge Cthulhu fan, and I think I can take more than I can leave the Old West theme, so the two elements balance themselves out for a theme that I would probably really like.

However, am I the only one getting a BraveStarr vibe from this game? For Dark Stone read Carriom, for Tex Hex read Colonel Scafford, we've got Marshals and people in Bear-forms... I love BraveStarr, and am absolutely thrilled that we've got this aspect to the game, it makes it even more tantalizing to me!

What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame. I had such high hopes for Wrath of Ashardalon, before learning I can only level-up my character once. It seems we'll be getting much more from this experience.

I also really like FFP, being nuts about AToE and having recently been loving F&G as well. To the extent that I've bought art prints that I didn't actually want, but paid for them and shipping to the UK, just to get the two promo cards they come with. So I'm into this game for the mine cart level 7, which equates to about £320 at today's conversion rates, but if this means I get all this stuff at once (or, y'know, whenever they ship it), I'm perfectly fine with that.

I've been comparing it to Runebound in my head: I have everything for this game, and it cost me £480 to get. I even bought DungeonQuest specifically for the Runebound character cards, and didn't do anything with the game itself for about 8 months. But I'm guessing the amount of content for this game currently stands to get to a similar level as RB, but I will have paid less than £150 to get it all.

The only downside I can see is that I'll be waiting for about a year for it all to get to me...

EDIT - for BraveStarr
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
spalanzani wrote:
What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame.


Sorry, but I don't ever remember seeing someone say that and not be disappointed afterwards. Hopefully Shadows of Brimstone can do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The minis are really cool looking though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game looks interesting. The stretch goals and some of the add-ons feel like they had a third box game in the works that they're parting out for the KS campaign.

I've played a lot of ATOE, some LNOE, and a little FANG. Co-op in ATOE is a little off and some of the web and Coast expansion villains show signs of not being well-balanced for advanced co-op. I think of the long FAQs for LNOE and the broken down truck scenario that gets worse for the heroes as more expansion cards are added to the deck and these issues raise some concerns for me. FANG was pretty polished though and a nice iteration on the game system setup by LNOE and ATOE.

I suspect SOB will land somewhere between ATOE and FANG as far as polish goes. I'm expecting a fun outing with a few warts here and there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
4. Kickstarter Promos- It’s been fun to watch the new promo pieces roll out as the game has become more successful. I bought Dungeon Roll with promos and having the promos has been a game changer. I couldn’t image playing without it. If these promos expand the fun and variety of the game as much as they seem they will. Then, I’m going to be so glad to have them. Already a new world to explore, new enemies, and two new character classes for the Outlaw level. Sweet mercy, that sounds cool.


Isn't the Outlaw character class the only KS exclusive? Everything else will be released for sale as far as I can tell.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
spalanzani wrote:
What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame.


Sorry, but I don't ever remember seeing someone say that and not be disappointed afterwards. Hopefully Shadows of Brimstone can do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The minis are really cool looking though.


Without even a draft of the rules released I can't help but wonder how folks can justify comments like that.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
DeePee wrote:
spalanzani wrote:
What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame.


Sorry, but I don't ever remember seeing someone say that and not be disappointed afterwards. Hopefully Shadows of Brimstone can do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The minis are really cool looking though.


Without even a draft of the rules released I can't help but wonder how folks can justify comments like that.

It's called inductive reasoning. You probably use it every day, if you don't then you should.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Terah wrote:
jakecarol wrote:
DeePee wrote:
spalanzani wrote:
What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame.


Sorry, but I don't ever remember seeing someone say that and not be disappointed afterwards. Hopefully Shadows of Brimstone can do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The minis are really cool looking though.


Without even a draft of the rules released I can't help but wonder how folks can justify comments like that.

It's called inductive reasoning. You probably use it every day, if you don't then you should.


Except when I do it everyday it is based on actual observable facts, like the fact that there are no draft rules released for a game that has allegedly been in the works for a couple of years.

But continue being hopeful and calling it 'deductive reasoning' if it makes you feel better.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Griffiths
United Kingdom
Wrexham
Wrexham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

My earlier comment, with the salient 'from what I have seen of it, at least', is based on this:

"An exciting campaign system allows the Players to visit local frontier towns between adventures, spending their hard-earned Loot and building their characters from game to game! As players find fantastic Gear and Artifacts to equip their Heroes, they also gain experience from their adventures. This experience is used to level up, guiding the Hero’s path through an expansive, class-specific upgrade tree of new skills and abilities, allowing each player to develop their Hero to fit their own play style."

It's the second paragraph on the ks page, and the video, around the 3-minute mark, shows a game in progress that features a scattering of what look like classic RPG character sheets (not the usual hero cards you get in board games).

Furthermore, here's an answer Jason gave in the Q&A the other day, as regards experience and character progression:

"Heroes gain XP in a lot of different ways, but the main ones are killing Enemies (or for each wound done to large monsters), overcoming hazards from things like Encounter cards, and Healing other Heroes. The Leveling up system is scaled so that Heroes go up to Level 2 generally after a mission or two, but then it starts taking more and more XP over time to get to Lvl3, then 4, etc. Currently in the system, Heroes max out at Level 10, but that takes a pretty long time to reach generally."

From the same Q&A, here's a brief word about the upgrade trees:

"The Upgrade Tree for each Hero Class is unique and there are actually four different paths that the Hero can follow. For instance, the Preacher has four different specialty paths - Faith, Occult Studies, Redemption, and Sermons (which are basically like spells that he can cast). Whenever you level up, you get to choose the next Upgrade bonus you get from the skill tree. You can choose one from any of the four disciplines, but you can only take the first one on that track that you haven't unlocked yet. So in other words, you can either totally specialize in just one track, or you can spread it out across multiple of them, but never reach the really cool abilities further down the line on any one track."

In my boardgaming experience, I usually play as a character to which I can add a finite number of cards as "upgrades", and trundle around the board fighting stuff. Next time I play the game, I'm starting again from scratch. The previously mentioned D&D Adventure System was cool at first, until you realise that (a) you can only level up once, and (b) when you play the game again you start at level one - you get skills and powers specific to your class, but that's really it.

FROM WHAT I HAVE SEEN SO FAR, therefore, this is a game that allows you to take a character and choose your progression. You get a RPG-style character sheet, and there are official campaign rules right out of the box that actively encourage you to personalise that character. The stuff you find is yours, because you found it, and next time you go on a mission it will be with you, along with the experience you gained from your last foray. Now, that sounds a hell of a lot more like a RPG than it does your traditional board game, and it looks like it beats the crap out of the D&D system.

I freely acknowledge that I might be setting myself up for disappointment when I eventually get this game in my hot little hands, but from what I have seen so far, I don't need sight of a rulebook to say that I think this game looks perfect for my purposes.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jakecarol wrote:
Terah wrote:
jakecarol wrote:
DeePee wrote:
spalanzani wrote:
What I love the most about this game - from what I have seen of it, at least - is the fact it's looking like a perfect coupling of RPG-meets-boardgame.


Sorry, but I don't ever remember seeing someone say that and not be disappointed afterwards. Hopefully Shadows of Brimstone can do it, but I wouldn't hold my breath. The minis are really cool looking though.


Without even a draft of the rules released I can't help but wonder how folks can justify comments like that.

It's called inductive reasoning. You probably use it every day, if you don't then you should.


Except when I do it everyday it is based on actual observable facts, like the fact that there are no draft rules released for a game that has allegedly been in the works for a couple of years.

But continue being hopeful and calling it 'deductive reasoning' if it makes you feel better.

Oh it seems you were disparaging spalanazi's comment, not DeePee's? That's confusing given who you replied to. I gather we agree that DeePee's skepticism has a good basis.

PS: Inductive reasoning, but deductive reasoning, in this case.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for that info spalanzi. While I agree that skeptics could have good reasons, this game does look very interesting. I'm a backer.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Outlaw Dog
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I can't help but wonder why the folks at PEG / Deadlands aren't doing something similar to this...

I know they made a previous board game... but... well... it wasn't very good...

But since FFP "borrowed" so heavily from Deadlands, turnabout would certainly be fair play... cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Van
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlaw Dog wrote:
... But since FFP "borrowed" so heavily from Deadlands, turnabout would certainly be fair play... cool


I know it isn't exactly what you meant, but this KS campaign is going to be very influential. Mark my words, a lot of game publishers are going to be licking their chops and modeling their own campaigns on this one.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Outlaw Dog wrote:
I can't help but wonder why the folks at PEG / Deadlands aren't doing something similar to this...


Hmm. Looks like Pinnacle Entertainment finished up a Weird Wars Rome KS based on their Savage Worlds RPG on August 29th, 2013, so they're busy. My guess is that, since Pinnacle is primarily an RPG company, they're sticking to the familiar. Alternately, the bits and pieces for Deadlands are already available, especially when Reaper releases its Savage Worlds mini's. Still, a convenient "ready out of the box" set that includes the Deadlands RPG, some skirmish scenarios, a new coop-style game, and miniatures to support the lot would be a good idea.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.