Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't yet played this game, but I was curious about something after having read the rules. How big of a role does negotiation take in coordinating air strikes?

Is the main purpose of the negotiation to team up with another player to take down a third player, one presumably "winning"? And how does it work in practice? I'm guessing the conversation would go something like this:

Derrick: Hey Gordon, let's attack Enes, he's dominating.
Gordon: Okay. If you can take out his fighters, I can come in with my bombers and take out his buildings.
Derrick: Okay let's do it.
Enes: Please don't...

If there is an agreement, both players have to fulfill their air strike commitments, correct?

Also, is there anything Enes can offer as part of the negotiation to spare him destruction? Or I guess to put it another way, is there any reason to negotiate other than to coordinate air strikes on a leader?

I'm sure the nuances of negotiation will pop up when I actually play the game, but I like hearing other peoples perspectives also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
Everything is relative to perception, and your perception is limited.
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
This:, "Hey, don't worry about me, I am just trying to get by. So-and-so is going to crush us"!

One of the most interesting things about this game is that it is difficult to tell if someone is dominating, sometimes. Since usually people don't score until the late game, or late mid-game, you are judging infrastructure. There is a lot of interpretation there: read negotiation wiggle room. I might convince you that someone else is leading, when they might not be.

Since it is sometimes hard to get both fighters and bombers, a lot of the negotiations (at least in my plays) have gone something like, "Hey, so-and-so has a great engine. You take out so-and-so's fighters, and I will bomb the bejesus out of them". Of course, convincing someone else to use their fighters leaves them vulnerable, so that is a great idea devil

Mostly, though, spying is better, so convincing other folks to bomb each other is most efficient! Also, having borderline bomb-worthy buildings is also a good idea.

Edit: Yes, negotiations are binding, until the end of that round.

Edit, Edit: Also, don't undervalue keeping bombers to load bombs, it is a key to winning. Keeping some for yourself, and convincing someone to use all theirs is good. Also, don't hesitate to gang up to take out someone's bombers, if they look threatening, and don't hesitate to slow someone down, who looks like they need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I think I'm getting the feel of the negotiations. One more quick question. You can't trade resources as part of the negotiations, but could you trade favors? For example, could I promise not to espionage your mine if you don't bomb my reactor?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
Sure, but it is non binding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Tibbetts
United States
Oak Lawn
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

Of course that answer would apply to all games.

I often see players go on unilateral strikes in the game without even attempting any negotiation, and I never understand why. At a minimum, identify who your greatest military threat will be after your strike and get that player to agree not to attack you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Moultrie
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigloo33 wrote:

Wait, I thought the rules say that negotiations are binding until the end of the round. Is the use of the air strike the only portion that is binding?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Dilloo
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Ginger Ninja
mbmbmbmbmb
svasongha wrote:
bigloo33 wrote:

Wait, I thought the rules say that negotiations are binding until the end of the round. Is the use of the air strike the only portion that is binding?

Yeah, sorry, should have been clearer, in the follow up. Can't trade resources at all, and negotiations are binding for the round. I assumed since that was answered, his follow up meant future favors, in future rounds. Then, and only then, would those not be binding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.