Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve been plucking away at my turn of the century New York themed board game NY1901 for close to two years now. It’s targeted at the gateway crowd. A notch above Ticket to Ride, simple but with surprising depth.
I've recently gotten the game added to the boardgamegeek database.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148181/ny1901

Development
At different stages in development, I sought and was very fortunate to receive the help of both established and rising game designers.

Raising Awareness
In order to raise awareness, I've started a Facebook page for my game. In less than two months I’ve gathered a small but growing following of 114.
www.facebook.com/ny1901

In order to support my effort, I started two high quality New York nostalgia pages on Facebook, one of vintage postcards, the other on stereoviews. In less than two months, I’ve gathered close to 400 followers for both these pages. Every now and then I invite these followers to look at my game page. The 3 pages become a subtle but quality cross promotional effort.
www.facebook.com/nypostcards
www.facebook.com/nystereoviews

In order to improve the game and grow its fanbase, I’ve used an aggressive playtesting strategy where I sent out 6 full prototypes to 6 different groups across the United States. The effort has paid off with new fans and also with some very positive gameplay improvement suggestions.

My Question:
What do you think of my effort so far?
What are other means to raise awareness?
Is a website a good tool?
What’s worked for you?
Given the type of game I have, what are your recommendations?

Thank you for your input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Other methods to raise awareness.

1. Local game store(s), if available. Find out if they offer nights of board game play. Offer to bring your game and demo it. Bring donuts too for added effect/more players.

2. Conventions. Any conventions that have people who love board games. Bring yours. If there's a indie/protospiel/open game/gaming on demand area, haunt that area. Bribe people to play your game with platitudes and food.

3. Facebook is not the only social media. It's actually a lot of work, but there's a lot more out there. Twitter is great, but you have to stay active to keep people engaged. Google Plus has a huge board game community (8200 strong and climbing towards 10k fairly rapidly).

https://plus.google.com/communities/111229977945579240171

I happen to be the dude who started that group, so I'm a bit biased, but really I think it's an amazing group of people. Engaging discussions, and a huge potential fan base. Join us. Don't spam us, but become part of the community - we love hearing about new games!

4. I also happen to have a small but vibrant and growing community devoted to people working on making games. First timers, veterans, everyone in between. It's called game school and it's another venue to get attention on your game while talking about something we all love - making games.

https://plus.google.com/communities/115504354599484053800

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks Ben. Lots of very good ideas. The local gamester option is definitely worth a try. Will look into it. I've yet to jump on the Google+ bandwagon. What would make it a better venue than Facebook?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben G
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Better? That I don't know. It really depends on where your audience is.

I can tell you that it's an additional resource. And that it tends slightly towards the more geek pursuits - technology, computers, hobby games, rpgs, SciFi and the like.

And like I said, at least two built in communities that would be perfect for talking about your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chenier La Salle
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have a look. I need to create a Gmail account. Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hicks
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Ben's suggestion on the Google+ groups - while I haven't used them extensively yet myself I am subscribed to both and they are very good communities.

There's also the Card & Board Game Designer's group and Playtest HQ groups on Facebook (which you may already be a part of - I know I've seen posts about your game previously).

I like to help game creators promote their games through my platform TodayInBoardGames.com. I'd be happy to post a press release for you if you wanted to put one together.

I guess the real answer to your question is dependent upon your ultimate goal. Do you plan to Kickstart your game? Or publish through print-on-demand? or sign with an already established publisher? Your goal will determine where you need to concentrate your efforts now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.