Nightfall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Double-Blocking "Bad Smoke"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the new thread, I haven't found clearly rules.
In the Attack phase: Bad Smoke/Vulko is attacked by a normal attacking minion but stays alive, then the active player attacks with Alton Hickman which can only be blocked with Bad Smoke/Vulko so far I know. Is the same Bad Smoke able to block Hickman? And is one Bad Smoke able to block direct damage to minions and direct damage to the player in the Chain phase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, Bad Smoke is not blocking anything. All damage that would be dealt to you is redirected to him. He does not block direct damage to other minions, but any card that would inflict hits on you hurts him instead. This includes the unblockable Mr. Hickman. If you have two or more Bad Smokes in play (or any combination of Bad Smokes/Vulkos) then you pick which one your damage is redirected to.

The game designer is very active here, on the Official Nightfall Card & Rule FAQ. It is a priceless source of rules information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
Craig is correct on all counts thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Groff-Folsom
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, re-reading your post, I want to clarify something. All of one player's minions attack at the same time, so blocking assignments are done simultaneously. As I mentioned above, since Bad Smoke's ability isn't a block, it kicks in when damage is assigned instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, this answer my question not completely. I know the Blocking with Bad Smoke isn't the normal Blocking (unfortunately the same wording is used). I have read all points about the Bad Smoke in the FAQ. I also know that 'Bad Smoke' does not block direct damage to other minions. That wasn't the question.
I want to rephrase my question:
A 'Bad Smoke' is directly attacked with one player's minion but he has enough LP to stand the attack. Then the player attacks with Hickman. Is this 'Bad Smoke' also able to 'Block' that damage? One main rule is that every minion can block one time during the attack phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
shinkyo wrote:
A 'Bad Smoke' is directly attacked with one player's minion but he has enough LP to stand the attack. Then the player attacks with Hickman. Is this 'Bad Smoke' also able to 'Block' that damage? One main rule is that every minion can block one time during the attack phase.

Minions cannot be directly attacked in combat. An attacking player merely chooses which opposing player they wish to attack along with which of their minions will be attacking that player. The defending player is the one who chooses which defending minions block which attacking minions.

In later sets we changed the wording to "absorb" when effects like Bad Smoke or Vulko prevent damage from reaching the player. This is different from electing a minion to block during combat and so can be done in addition to assigning them to block.

In your example, should a player attack you with two minions (Alton Hickman plus another), you could certainly assign Bad Smoke as a defender against the other minion, letting the damage from Alton Hickman be absorbed via Bad Smoke's In Play text.

Edit: Or you could choose to block neither minion and simply absorb the damage from both with your Bad Smoke. The only advantage to assigning Bad Smoke to block during combat would be to use an effect that triggers when being assigned to block.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Roitzsch
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
s3rvant wrote:
shinkyo wrote:

Minions cannot be directly attacked in combat. An attacking player merely chooses which opposing player they wish to attack along with which of their minions will be attacking that player. The defending player is the one who chooses which defending minions block which attacking minions.

In later sets we changed the wording to "absorb" when effects like Bad Smoke or Vulko prevent damage from reaching the player. This is different from electing a minion to block during combat and so can be done in addition to assigning them to block.

In your example, should a player attack you with two minions (Alton Hickman plus another), you could certainly assign Bad Smoke as a defender against the other minion, letting the damage from Alton Hickman be absorbed via Bad Smoke's In Play text.

Edit: Or you could choose to block neither minion and simply absorb the damage from both with your Bad Smoke. The only advantage to assigning Bad Smoke to block during combat would be to use an effect that triggers when being assigned to block.

Thanks for the clarification. Of course with 'directly' I meant that the defending player chooses the blocking minions. Bad explained by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.