Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I dipped my toes into the LOTR card game last xmas and i.m now the proud owner of pretty much every release and all the cards sleeved. I had no idea that this game was going to be so financially draining.

I would just like to take the opportunity to counter some peoples arguments that that when you play a scenario there is no incentive to play it again. I have played Spiders and Flies several times and still enjoy that little jaunt. I like to experiment with ways to keep the game as fresh as possible.
I had been playing the game with randomly picked heroes and constructing decks around them. Ive had way more losses than wins. I really don't see this as a problem. Most of my plays have been solo and it really doesn't matter if you win or lose. I see each little scenario as an adventure where the party may be over run. IT ISNT a waste of time if I lose as ive still had the experience and adventure.
I really don't understand the mentality that playing and losing is a waste of time.
Infact, it is said with chess that if you play a game and lose you have had the opportunity to learn far more than if you had played and won.
I wont deny that those pesky trolls along the Anduin and that unholy trio at the Carrock can be hellishly frustrating. Oh and don't get me started on that goblin sniper. What a devious little card.
That is one of the pleasures in the game. You can play the adventures and discover cards that you absolutely hate, but love at the same time.
It creates interesting problems for the party to overcome. You have to consider how best to tweak your deck to overcome some troublesome pests.
I love the sniper as he's actually a weak foe, yet so sneaky and bothersome. The artwork really evokes his sneakiness and its things like this that create the theme in the game. Its why he is a love hate card. There are many other cards like this in other encounter decks and have considered doing a list of the nastiest/sweetest cards in the game.

Yet I am unable to undertake such an endeavour. Simply because I haven't dipped my toes deep enough into LOTR card game yet.
Since buying the game I have only really played Spiders and flies, Along the Anduin, Conflict at the Carrock, and The Hunt for Gollum extensively. I've probably played about 40 games of LOTR card game and most have been with these scenarios. I'm really excited to try some of the later scenarios. I hear great things about Khazad Dhum and Black Riders looks awesome.

I decided in the Summer that I would try each cycle using only the cards from the core set and cards relevant to that cycle. It really enables me to experience the theme of each adventure and really explore the possibilities of each sphere. I really disliked the Eagle sphere with the tactics deck and avoided using them for a long time.
Finally succumbed with a dual sphere deck and they are a joy to play.
So this is the way I intend to play it. When i've progressed through each box this way I may allow myself to use all the cards at my disposal. Yet I think eagles in Khazad Dhum would be a little odd.

Ultimately its all about the theme and the more I play the more I feel i'm exploring a rich fantasy environment. One that is brought incredibly to life with some of the best in game artwork I have ever seen. I was recently looking at my old Magic the Gathering cards and the art pales in comparison to LOTR.

The real reason I am posting though is just to ask one question. I'm committed to my current play style as feel its a great way to explore the game, but will some of the quests be impossible for me.
I do think I will have to move on from the first cycle soon and make note of the seemingly impossible quests and come back to them once I've tasted everything LOTR has to offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maya
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the quests are mostly balanced to be played with a pool of Core plus all previously released cards. That's how I play. You will have a serious challenge playing HoN scenarios using only a Core set and the HoN cards. But Core + Mirkwood + Dwarrowdelf is much easier, and Core + HoN + AtS should be a fair fight.

Ultimately you should play however you find it fun to play. If you like a strong challenge and won't be turned off by losing a bunch of times, be extra strict in limiting your cards. If you're getting demoralized, call in the reinforcements! The beauty of this game is you can change the difficulty level to suit yourself.

And of course, there are a few quests that are wickedly difficult even if you have all the cards available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anatole
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you play one handed solo, and not two handed solo. Have you tried playing easy mode yet? It's ideal if you want to play for theme or characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ainsworth
United Kingdom
Manchester
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two-handed is really where it's at for me these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I really don't understand the mentality that playing and losing is a waste of time.

I'd say not wasted but it's certainly aggravating when there's nearly zero chance of winning because you chose the wrong number of players or when you lose after three turns in a meat grinder because you have the wrong spheres.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Fella
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Quote:

I'd say not wasted but it's certainly aggravating when there's nearly zero chance of winning because you chose the wrong number of players or when you lose after three turns in a meat grinder because you have the wrong spheres.

That's exactly how my first attempt at Journey down the Anduin went, but I have to be honest, I'm with Tiddleydwarf on this because it wasn't aggravating, it was eye-opening. The difference in difficulty even between the first and second quest is great. You learn the first quest and think you've got the game in the bag, try the second one and get slammed. It teaches you more of how the game works and how you have to be ready for anything.

Now if I've been building a deck specifically for that quest and after the 11th or 12th try I still can't beat it, I might think differently. I don't know because I haven't done that yet, and when I do if that's the case I'll come back and let you know if I feel the same way. For me, as a new player at least, it's still as much about the theme, the adventure, and the journey as it is about the end result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OmegaDolphin wrote:
Robrob wrote:
Quote:

That's exactly how my first attempt at Journey down the Anduin went, but I have to be honest, I'm with Tiddleydwarf on this because it wasn't aggravating, it was eye-opening.

That's how I felt about Journey Down the Anduin too. I lost quickly a few times and then started trying different decks and strategies. When I could finally consistently beat the quest I had a real sense of discovery and triumph.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're having fun with it, stick to what you are doing. It's your game and you paid for it. I have spent far too much money on it. I'm a terrible deck builder, unlikely ever to beat scenarios consistently, and that's fine. I build my decks to a theme or concept and a lot of the time they don't work. That's part of the fun. A recent try at an all-Lore Ranger deck failed miserably!

Losing is good. Some of the best games I have played are the epic losses. I feel cheated out of £10 if I beat one of the adventure packs first go. All that said, I play this more than any of my other games. I can easily set it up, lose twice and pack away in under an hour!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Re Jeremiah: perhaps didn't make myself clear.
When I construct my decks with HoN I consider AtS to be part of that cycle so will include AtS cards, and core also.
KD will have Dwarrowdelf/KD and core only and so on.
Also to an earlier comment solo is being played single deck only.
Realise I made a mistake when I said Eagle sphere, tactics is the sphere, eagle is the theme of my most recent deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Couldn't agree more Mr Magpie. The game is about the theme, experimenting and having fun. There is something quite technical about building a deck and seeing how well it performs.
I remember a show on telly where contestants had to construct robots and place them in an arena against other contestants robots. Deckbuilding games put me in mind of that show. Build it and see how well it fares. That's satisfaction within itself. Win or lose. I wonder how many players of deckbuilders are tinkerers.
Its quite a unique feature to have within a game, made so much the better with LCG. Unlike CCG where the guy with the most money buys the best components and dominates (bit like F1 and premiership football).
Totally with the idea that if a scenario is too easy you may feel cheated.
Remember the old FF gamebooks. If they were easily completed it was so disappointing. I desired a challenge. I do like some of the easy scenarios as they are great to go back to with different decks and experiment. Some of the story elements are well worth a revisit.
Walk away from the game now if you going to play solo only and easily frustrated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.