The Guns of Gettysburg» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defensive Artillery Eligibility — help needed. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Here is a position just reached in my pbem game. I am the Union. The Confederates have just announced an attack with their two central blocks against my single central block.

Defending Player - Artillery Support phase

My question is this — Can I play my two ART2 tokens in these positions?

Rulings........
to play artillery in a position in steps 2 and 3 of the Attack Resolution, you must have a number of organizationally matching blocks IN and NEAR the position.

The position where an artillery token is played must be occupied by AT LEAST ONE org-matching block. (My southern most position with block2 and Art2)

Then can any ADDITIONAL ART TOKENS be placed adjacent to the matching block? — in this case my centrally placed ART2 token.

ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD TO ...... any help much appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can't. "The position where an artillery token is played must be occupied by at least one organizationally matching block."

Also, the defender can only play tokens if an attacking block crosses artillery's field of fire. This means no tokens can be played in the central position at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Thanks for your reply - but as a newbie here — I'm still unsure.

My block(s) numbered 2 do allow me to play ART2 token (org-match) in the southern area as that ART has a field of fire into its extended front area where the attacking blocks will soon move/cross. IS THIS STATEMENT CORRECT?

Also, can you explain more fully why you say "no tokens can be played in the central position at all" — and are you referring to ANY tokens or just DEFENDING art tokens?

Thanks again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
My block(s) numbered 2 do allow me to play ART2 token (org-match) in the southern area as that ART has a field of fire into its extended front area where the attacking blocks will soon move/cross. IS THIS STATEMENT CORRECT?
Yes.

Masonstone wrote:
Also, can you explain more fully why you say "no tokens can be played in the central position at all" — and are you referring to ANY tokens or just DEFENDING art tokens?
I meant the defending tokens but it actually applies to any tokens.

For the defending:

"Your artillery in a position has the same field of fire as your blocks in that position. A token can be played in a position only if [---] at least one attacking block’s path crosses an area in the artillery’s field of fire." (p. 9, left column)
"A block has no field of fire at all if there is an obstructed terrain symbol on the front side of its own position." (p. 5, right column)

In the given situation there is an obstructed terrain symbol on the front side of the position, which means that there is no field of fire, which means that the attacking blocks are not crossing the field of fire.

For if you were attacking:

"The artillery position cannot be obstructed on the side nearer the target position" (p. 9, left column).

In the given situation it is obstructed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
Ok - thanks for that clarification — I thought that the obstruction should have some effect but couldn't find it in the rules per se. ( I know that the obstruction affects the actual close combat drms)

So, just to be clear, any attack thro' an area to a position with an obstruction symbol on the attacker's side of that position means that NO artillery can be played in that area(for the attack) nor on that position (for the defense). Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MLeis
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Masonstone wrote:
any attack thro' an area to a position with an obstruction symbol on the attacker's side of that position means that NO artillery can be played in that area(for the attack) nor on that position (for the defense). Correct?
Correct about the defense. As for the attack: note that artillery is still played in positions, not in areas. If the attack is to a position with an obstruction symbol on the attacker's side of that position, then attacker can't target that position, but he may still be able to target other positions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim b
United States
Berkeley
California
flag msg tools
Given all the above, the best placement of these defensive artillery tokens could be:
a) Two command-named artillery tokens in the southern/lower position (adjacent to the attacked position)
b) And, one Any token in the northern/upper position (again, adjacent to the attacked position- but on the other side, at Oak Ridge).

Because of the ridgeline, the attacking block crosses the field of fire of both these adjacent positions.

You may be thinking that a single +1 battery/token at Oak Ridge cannot inflict any damage, even with the +1 ridge bonus- but it can (in combination with the other position) --

All your defensive artillery supports the single position under attack, and the various artillery positions are added together, before figuring out the final hit count. (p.10 "For each defense position: Add up the strengths of your artillery positions supporting it with defensive fire. For every three points of defensive artillery fire, you inflict one reduction.")

So, let say those named artillery tokens are +2 strength:
a) your artillery strength in the lower position would be then +4 (a baseline maximum of +3, and then +1 for the ridge bonus);
b) your strength in the upper artillery position would be +2 (a baseline of +1, and then +1 for the ridge bonus).
c) these two positions (+4, +2) would combine for a total of +6 artillery strength in support of the attacked position: that's 2 hits/reductions altogether.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the obstruction stops the center position, but the other two positions can deal a nasty amount of arty.

Jim grasps the rules as well as anyone, and is stomping me in a PBEM right now, (back on Tuesday Jim)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Mackenzie
France
Penne
flag msg tools
A belated thank you jimb - most helpful — and regretful — this is my first play through to learn the mechanics and I failed to assign any def art as my opponent, after discussion with him over the legal placement of his artillery withdrew (correctly) his former attacking artillery. And then I wasn't sure how to calculate my potential art — so we just passed on that and went straight to combat. Oh well, I know better now thank to your excellent summary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.