Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Card feat rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyril Corbaz
Switzerland
flag msg tools
At the end of Burnt Offerings, the characters are given a card feat. Since I didn't see any discussion about this particular topic, why not discuss it here. Please post what you spent it on for every character, or would if you had played a given character up to this point. I also suggest everyone indicate if their choice is relevant for playing that character solo, or in a group.

Here goes for me:

Merisiel was pretty much a no-brainer choice, I took an additional weapon. But the choice was so quick and "too easy" that I'm wondering if there wouldn't be another better choice. An additional item also would be nice (for a solo character for instance), since it would add more versatility, while keeping an extra card to recharge in order to activate her power. I still feel that weapon is a better choice because I've played quite a few games with her where both her weapons were at the bottom of her deck, and it took forever to get them.

Ezren got an additional spell, in the interest of cycling faster within them, and an another utility spell (I'm playing him with 4 damage spells and 5 utility spells). However, in larger groups, I might choose an additional ally since it's one of the only ways to get extra explores. If I was playing him in a six-character group, I'd definitely pick another ally for explores.

Kyra highly depends on how you play her. A melee-heavy Kyra (for solo play) with strength skill feats and Weapon proficiency power feat might want another weapon, to be able to discard them more often, and get them back later via heal. In a group, I feel that an extra spell (which can be used to heal via her power) adds more versatility, while an additional blessing will not only give her better support capabilities, but also give her more explores, and a possibility to heal. I feel the latter might be the best choice, especially in large groups, but an extra augury could also make her worth taking an extra spell, for example in small groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
For my Amiri, I debated long and hard between an item and an ally. I play in a 4 person group (now 3 players). I really wanted the ally for extra explores, but now that one player has dropped, it's really good that I took an extra item. The item I ended up taking was the Thieves Tools. That helps me to defeat an additional card type. Plus, if I were to get a hold of Potion of Healing, or Staff of Minor Healing, I wouldn't have to give up my other 2 items now.

She already has more than enough weapons, and I rarely use the 2 armors. Another blessing would have been nice, but I think I made the right call for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Lem, I took another spell card. An extra weapon also had some attraction, but good access to spells really makes Lem shine, in particular because he can use both Arcane and Divine. Of course, no opportunity to test until the next set is out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group took the following:

Amiri - Blessing
Merisiel - Blessing
Lini - Ally
Seoni - Spell
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
Here are my picks and the reasons I made them.

Seelah - You want to take a second spell, particularly if you have taken power feat to avoid discarding spells.

Sajan - Blessings blessings and more blessings! You want tools to help enabled your cycling madness.

Lini - Allies are amazing for Lini, but I think she badly needs a weapon. Assuming your group has a decent weapon available, you want to arm her so you don't have to rely on passing her a weapon from one of your fighters.

Amiri - I don't think there is a clear answer here. I went with blessing.

Harsk - Pick up an ally for harsk, particularly if you are even considering taking Tracker as your advanced class.

Ezren - I would agree that the choice comes down to spells or allies. I selected spell, in large part because I have charm person in my deck. Without it, I would have probably gone with ally.

Lem - The little guy needs more spells.

Valeros - Much like Amiri, I didn't have a clear vision on this one. I selected blessing, but can see a strong case for item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ezren really does come down to spells or allies. Charm Person is a good incentive to go for spell, but there's also Haste in Adventure Deck 2, which gives an extra explore for an arcane spell. It might be the kind of thing where one chooses a spell in advance of Adventure Deck 2 to prepare to acquire one (or even both) of the Haste spells, since that's really a better choice than a human ally which may or may not have the "discard to explore" ability.

Seoni's obvious choice is for a spell. With auto-recharge, she obviously doesn't have enough of them.

My wife chose a weapon for Lini. When I played her in a solo campaign, though, I chose an ally. Either one can work.

A lot of these choices are very situation-dependent. It's a very different choice when the character is in a game with 4+ players as opposed to 2-3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lithrac wrote:
Merisiel was pretty much a no-brainer choice, I took an additional weapon. But the choice was so quick and "too easy" that I'm wondering if there wouldn't be another better choice. An additional item also would be nice (for a solo character for instance), since it would add more versatility, while keeping an extra card to recharge in order to activate her power. I still feel that weapon is a better choice because I've played quite a few games with her where both her weapons were at the bottom of her deck, and it took forever to get them.

Calthaer wrote:
Seoni's obvious choice is for a spell. With auto-recharge, she obviously doesn't have enough of them.

I haven't gotten to the end of Burnt Offerings, but I've already thought a lot about how to upgrade these two characters that I'm playing. Both of these comments mirror my thoughts precisely. I dread drawing Merisiel's opening hand. If I draw her Deathbane crossbow (or other weapon), she's vastly more effective that scenario. I've also gone through a couple of tough scenarios in which Merisiel's crossbows were near the bottom of her draw deck, and I strongly feel that adding another weapon (probably another bow) to Merisiel's deck will decrease the odds of her being weaponless and stabilize her gameplay. If her favored type of card was a weapon instead of item (in order to guarantee that her opening hand always had one of her weapons), I'd feel differently, I'm sure.

Seoni's card upgrade is obvious. She needs spells, spells, and more spells. I might be tempted to add an item at some point, but, right now, getting more spells (especially offensive spells) will make her more powerful and consistent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, there are some choices that are really, really obvious like Seoni and Sajan while others can go any number of ways. I have 2 6-character groups I run solo (took my 4-character group and added Val and a 2nd Seoni to run them through B.O.), and here is what I did.

4-player now 6 with Val and Seoni added
Amiri--Ally (though I could have gone Blessing)
Sajan--Blessing (really obvious)
Harsk--Ally (though I had to give him the medallion so I almost went Item even though with a 6-player you need extra explores so, Ally)
Valeros--Blessing (I just didn't have good items to give him or I would have chosen it as any of the 3 last card types are good picks)
Seoni--Spell (duh)
Lem--Spell (If I had started this group as 6-character with Seoni, he probably ends up with the medallion so he would have chosen Item, but he was the lone spellcaster so went with spell. Really, it's between Spell, Item, or Ally. Maybe a 2nd ranged weapon if you had an excellent one laying around.)

6-character from the start
Seelah--Armor Obviously Weapon is the logical choice so you might draw one with a 5-card hand. Joshua picking Spell was interesting just because I didn't think anyone wouldn't go for a 5-card hand, but that's the great thing about the game as you can do whatever you want as there is no set "You must chose this at this time or you're doomed!"
Merisiel--Blessing (Though I'm probably going to regret this, but I couldn't get a good weapon for her as all of them were Weapon proficient strength weapons, which I didn't pick, so it was going to be useless until I could replace it)
Ezren--Ally (All I had were lousy spells after giving Seoni her 4th so it wasn't much of a choice. Thanks to my party I'm okay as Cures abound)
Seoni--Spell (Duh)
Kyra--Ally (This was the Toad so it was basically another spell, plus she's mostly a Melee character in this group)
Lini--Item (Guess who got the Medallion)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Birk
msg tools
mb
kysmart wrote:

Seelah--Armor Obviously Weapon is the logical choice so you might draw one with a 5-card hand. Joshua picking Spell was interesting just because I didn't think anyone wouldn't go for a 5-card hand, but that's the great thing about the game as you can do whatever you want as there is no set "You must chose this at this time or you're doomed!"

Fascinating, and a great illustration of the fundamentally divergent approaches to character development this game encourages. More power choices for Seelah focus on allowing her to use those powers as often as possible. Spells and blessings for me, though I will go up to a 5 card hand with her second power feat. For the power feat you chose, I wholeheartedly agree that weapon is the right choice. Either that or pulling out a marker and changing her favored card type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve hitchcock

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My Myra took an additional item, she was awarded the medallion so this enabled her to keep the holy candle as she and merisel have been in need more than once,, merisel agonized over her choice but settled on a third weapon, have played these two combat heavy and this seemed the best choices moving into the skimsaw,
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calthaer the Bard
Turks and Caicos Islands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kysmart wrote:
6-character from the start

Not "doomed," per se, but certain choices add a lot more challenge to the game, especially in 5/6-player mode. A five-card hand is very useful in such instances, because the key to winning lies in making sure that one always has a blessing or ally in-hand to explore twice per turn while still holding cards to allow one to meet challenges. Same goes for the card feats. Characters with a lower number of combined blessings / allies should undoubtedly spring for those cards in order to increase the chance of additional explores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Watson
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a bit late to playing the game and just completed 'Burnt Offerings'. Here's what I did regarding card feats for my 4 character group:

Harsk - I briefly considered adding an armor for those times his missile barrage falls short and he loses a fight. But the real decision was between an item (the group has acquired good ones and would lose a couple if a slot wasn't added) and an ally.[+Ally]

Valeros - Weapons and armor were never a consideration; he's well equipped and pretty much everything can be recharged. So I needed to decide between item, ally and blessing. Adding an item or ally would help shore up some of his weaknesses, but a blessing could help the entire party, especially since his earlier power feat had been to increase his hand size and better the chances for holding a card not needed for combat. [+Blessing]

Kyra - Weapon was tempting, as I find that frequently she's empty-handed in a fight, but the choice came down to adding an ally, an item or a spell. She was getting the Sihedron Medallion, so an item slot made sense. Allies are great for their added bonuses and explore option. For a magic user, Kyra's starting repertoire is small at three. A recently acquired 'Detect Evil' seemed like a good addition to her 'Cure', 'Detect Magic' and 'Find Traps'. [+Spell]

Ezren- For a while, adding a weapon was a option. Ezren is armed with a Heavy Crossbow and an OK fighter, but he doesn't always draw it early. However, spell use usually helps him cycle his deck. The choice boiled down to item (he was going to inherit Kyra's 'Amulet of Life' to make up for his lack of armor) or spell. Ezren has a nice array of spells, but more is always a good thing and it is his strength. [+Spell]

Having to make this sort of interesting choice is what makes the game a lot more fun to play than my initial impressions of it suggested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bohemond1 wrote:
Lini - Allies are amazing for Lini, but I think she badly needs a weapon. Assuming your group has a decent weapon available, you want to arm her so you don't have to rely on passing her a weapon from one of your fighters.
I've gotten all the way to set 4 without a weapon slot for Lini, and in fact I think she's only ever used a weapon maybe twice... What she needs are animal allies, and the Amulet of Mighty Fists (and later, hopefully, the Amulet of Flaming Fists...) What she can't defeat with a few d4, she can add a d10 to, then Cure herself...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
I've gotten all the way to set 4 without a weapon slot for Lini, and in fact I think she's only ever used a weapon maybe twice... What she needs are animal allies, and the Amulet of Mighty Fists (and later, hopefully, the Amulet of Flaming Fists...) What she can't defeat with a few d4, she can add a d10 to, then Cure herself...

Why would she rather have Amulet of Mighty Fists than the lowly Mace (other than 'adds Magic')? Even a Dagger is better since it is Dexterity-based (for when you don't transform). Any magic weapon that doesn't require proficiency to avoid a penalty is strictly better than the Amulet of Mighty Fists. Also, if you use an item in the attack then you can't use one to avoid combat damage.

At the level that you've reached you should have been forced to take either weapons or armor proficiency.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michael ray
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As harsk,
I took an extra blessing the first card feat, and just took an extra alley for his second one. I felt the blessing was key for extra explores/helping teamates, and I took the ally the second time for more diversity in my hands just to see what happens.

We play a five man with lem, valeros, the paladin, ezren, harsk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlvanbie wrote:
Why would she rather have Amulet of Mighty Fists than the lowly Mace (other than 'adds Magic')?
Don't knock 'adds Magic'... But anyway I like d4 - I have other uses for card feats, and Lini can regularly roll 3d4+4 (Strength +2, Animal Ally +3), average 11.5, which isn't at all bad for lower level opponents.
Quote:
At the level that you've reached you should have been forced to take either weapons or armor proficiency.
Oh, she has proficiency, she just doesn't use it... She ran out of power feats to tick before she upgraded to Wild Warden.

And, in fact, in the last couple of scenarios, she has started to use the odd weapon - a Sling, specifically, which seems very in character. Still doesn't have a slot for it though.

Bear (why isn't there a Bear ally? I'd prefer it to the Charmed red Dragon she found yesterday...) in mind, we've hardly failed a scenario at the first attempt since the 1st or 2nd campaign set, although it's been damned close a few times, and we try to use the Holy Candle every scenario. In fact, we've decided to use 7 locations for our 4-character party, to increase the difficulty (it worked! wow ), so she's not needed more up to now. In fact, being the only character in the party (Seoni, Merisiel, Valeros & Lini) with a Wisdom worth a damn, she's been rushing around closing locations left, right & centre lately! There seems to be a lot more use of the Wisdom stat in campaign 4...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
why isn't there a Bear ally? I'd prefer it to the Charmed red Dragon she found yesterday...
In case you didn't notice: Charmed Red Dragon doesn't have the animal trait, so Lini can't use her power to recharge it instead of discard it.

Deck 4 card spoiler alert:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a Bear ally. And it is actually one of the few so far that make her recharge power effect anything other than exploring.
Bear wrote:
Discard this card to add 2d4 to your combat check.
Discard this card to explore your location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
269Hawkmoon wrote:
In case you didn't notice: Charmed Red Dragon doesn't have the animal trait, so Lini can't use her power to recharge it instead of discard it.
I noticed. Encountered it, picked it up (with some trepidation, after reading the text), never used it, discarded it sometime during the scenario for some reason I forget, did not retain it after the scenario... I did finally find the Cat though! Regrettably, it replaced her faithful old Dog (maybe I should have dumped the Toad...) cry
Quote:
Deck 4 card spoiler alert:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
There is a Bear ally. And it is actually one of the few so far that make her recharge power effect anything other than exploring.
Bear wrote:
Discard this card to add 2d4 to your combat check.
Discard this card to explore your location.
Oh, good - actually, I remember reading that on the character sheet checklist. Glad to see it uses d4, I prefer them. Multiple small dice produce a more reliable average than single big dice. It can join her Sabretooth & Snake in the combat squad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seelah - I took a spell at the end of Burnt Offerings (as I had the don't discard a spell power).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.