Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: board [+] hex [+] tiles [+] MDF [+] [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just thought I'd post a link Building a DIY hex board to a blog that I have set up detailing my efforts in creating a game board out of MDF and wood and using MDF tiles to provide a flexible 3D board for both hex based war-games such as Commands and Colors and more general miniature based war-games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't this already exist?
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/11170/heroscape-maste...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Aasted
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, I spend Geek Gold on useless things like this.
badge
Gloria: [to Robot] I'm just scared I'll come home one day and find you screwing a toaster.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's great when people put the effort in to making the battlefield 3 dimensional.

Here's a picture of the game Leros that someone created a 3D map for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Of course the option to use Heroscape tiles is available to anyone who does want such a solution.

However, I wanted to create the board for a number of reasons, including limited space, and not least the pleasure of making it for myself. Secondly to the best of my knowledge Heroscape is no longer in production and so those hexes are likely to be both difficult and expensive to obtain, particularly in the UK. Finally creating my own hexes allows me to be flexible in how they look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
keitharchaeologist wrote:
Secondly to the best of my knowledge Heroscape is no longer in production and so those hexes are likely to be both difficult and expensive to obtain, particularly in the UK. Finally creating my own hexes allows me to be flexible in how they look.

Nope. I just started collecting Heroscape last year and it's both easy to obtain (eBay) and fairly cheap (eBay). Certainly cheaper than any method of trying to create them myself.

As far as controlling the way they work, I know that Gamecrafter (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/) will create boardgame quality hexes based on whatever images you send them, so that's one method.

I also know that Ars Victor (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/128204/ars-victor) decided to create a similar hex-board game themselves and I think it was also wood. You might want to ask them about their experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:

Nope. I just started collecting Heroscape last year and it's both easy to obtain (eBay) and fairly cheap (eBay). Certainly cheaper than any method of trying to create them myself.

Maybe that's the case in the US, but a quick look on ebay.co.uk suggests that here in the UK I could knock out decent hexes out of good-quality ply on the tablesaw for much less than it'd cost me to buy Heroscape tiles. I guess I'd have to paint them as well, but cheap paint is... well, cheap.

The Heroscape ones have the benefit of locking together, as I understand it, but they also have the drawback of being really damn small. So if that's not what you're looking for, making your own is more attractive again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Fair enough, It would be possible to get hold of them in the UK but they are a lot less common than in the USA. As to buying them in the USA, shipping to the UK, particularly of late, has become almost prohibitive, not to mention the possibility of extra customs charges (they charge us £8 (~$12) for just collecting the money with the actual fees on top of that). I don't have the wherewithal to make my own hexes but can obtain the basic tiles in 3mm MDF at £1.20 for seven tiles, I am planning on using a magnetic surface on the board and steel paint on the underside of the hexes to hold them in place. Having said that I might pick up some Heroscape tiles to see how they pan out, but in the end I enjoy the creative process of designing my own.

Quote:
As far as controlling the way they work, I know that Gamecrafter (https://www.thegamecrafter.com/) will create boardgame quality hexes based on whatever images you send them, so that's one method.

Thanks for the tip , they look interesting for other reasons than just providing hexes, but again shipping costs might be an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone is interested I have added a couple more updates to the blog recently. These cover Constructing the board and The magnetic playing surface, I will add a post on customising hexes for different terrain types in a few days time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.