Western Desert Force» Forums » General

Subject: WDF--T for D? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I've been interested in this game, but am leery of AVP and thought it was over-priced, so waited for a reasonably-priced used copy to show up on CSW. I am surprised and disappointed by how little buzz and support it has generated--not actually showing up on on-line sellers (several still list it as pre-order), no folder on CSW, and no support here--the question asked has sat for days without response. The gentleman I'm buying it from seemed to indicate that he couldn't raise a response to questions, either. So, for the price I'll try it--always a sucker for a simple North Africa Campaign game--but not getting my hopes too high. Anyone offer anything on it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lionel JARRY
France
FRANQUEVILLE SAINT PIERRE
flag msg tools
You are not alone. I am also interested in having news about this game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
Well, my used copy arrived and I'm not sure what I think of it. The map is nice enough, nice player aid cards, small and very thick counters, slipcover box. For a simple game, as it claims, the rules (first read-through)seem quite complex--especially the organization phase with several layers of supply, attack points, offenses--each with its accompanying modifiers and effects. I'll give it another shot, but I don't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara c
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
That was my thought, exactly - the rules have the taint of Bennighof 'pon them, telling you roughly how the game works with no help with stating intent. I realize he didn't design the game but, as the rules editor, his style shines through.

BUT, get the map and the PA cards out and follow along with the rulebook and you'll more, faster. They might have been better served just reproducing some of the charts on the map with a couple of comments of explanation.
The Organization Phase is rather procedural but it ticks along smoothly after only a few turns.

Really enjoying the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.