Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mules S
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Got the game, played it and loved it!

The artwork really brings the game alive. Amazing pictures all around. Those jagged lines bordering the pictures are a bit annoying, but maybe only because it feels like they get too close to the ability text's top.

The metal coins are great! Good physicality, fun clinking noises.

I didn't play any of the previous versions, but from what I can see I'm a fan of the numbers arrayed horizontally on the top of the cards; laying out armies at cities was compact and efficient. After experiencing how evocative the artwork is during play I think the loss of the ability names is a non-negligible cost, but given space limitations an understandable one. Maybe someone with the earlier editions will type up a list of what they all used to be (unlikely)!

Gameplay was fast and enjoyable. I'm a big fan of the "no interrupt" style of turn taking, but it only works if, as in Omen, turns are quick and meaningful.

We haven't played with the heroes or spirits yet, nor drafting (neither me nor my opponent are much into deck building; very nice that we don't have to bother). The game even without these elements works great; the bloody slaughter that takes place during combat, leaving the victor with only 1 unit, is a real pressure point that made for tough decisions while going for feats. I mean, I can discard this beast and enrage my guys to win these battles here, but then I'll lose all my oracles and I'm so close to that feat!

The ability text on the cards is concise and straightforward: I've played a lot of games with symbols recently and it felt good to not to need a reference chart while playing (The Convoy is a fun game but even after 20 plays we still have a two page printout with us for the game).

Gameplay was smooth; no rules uncertainty or boring bits (though the card that let you search the deck for a card was a touch tedious as novice players, but that's just one card, not a real concern). I am going to make a quick reference card for future plays that just outline the phases of the turn, plus the war torn and end of game triggers.

Thanks to John Clowdus for a great game! I know a lot of work went into getting Omen out there for all the people like me who missed out on this game the first time through.

PS: Am I the only one who occasionally (no more than once per game, I swear) yells out "SSUUURRRRRGE!" during the surge phase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Clowdus and Small Box Games can do no wrong in my book...class act and excellent product.

Now click on those links, check out the games, thumb the pictures and support more quality!

www.smallboxgames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Toth
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mules, you and I seem to think a lot alike. I uploaded a simple player aid that sounds like what you're looking for 2 days ago. Look down below at the "files" section
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
metalchorus wrote:
John Clowdus and Small Box Games can do no wrong in my book...class act and excellent product.

I can't comment on any of his other games but I wholeheartedly agree - Omen is a game of stupendous awesomeness. I absolutely love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.