Power Grid: Australia & Indian Subcontinent» Forums » General

Subject: Upside down cities Australia rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Watch
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From Spiel I brought home the Australia/Indian board.

But, the cities of the Australia map are upside down. shake
Have you figured this already!

Is this really the intention??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Australia is upside down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
We are the right way up. You are upside down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
mbmbmbmbmb
See this image and the comments
http://boardgamegeek.com/image/1798289/power-grid-australia-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it is intentional. We are "up over" cool

P.S. It is cities and connection costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Watch wrote:
Is this really the intention??

No, it was a complete accident.

It's surprising that no one noticed it during playtesting or proofreading!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orpheus
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I was going to buy it until I saw that. Joke's over, and I'm not laughing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farr
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flames of Azure wrote:
Well, I was going to buy it until I saw that. Joke's over, and I'm not laughing.

Same here. I bought the Russia/Japan expansion in Sydney today and saw the Australia/India expansion and was tempted, but the upside down thing doesn't work for me. It's like a skew picture on a wall, only I can't fix it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cute gimmick, but only for a couple of minutes. Then it's an annoyance. A joke that isn't especially funny to begin with is not worth sacrificing useability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
A joke that isn't especially funny to begin with is not worth sacrificing useability.

Useability? You never need to read the city names. What do city names have to do with useability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
The Oz map is very good to play - uranium mines are an excellent variation and there are important decisions to make about when to "jump" from the SE corner to another part of the map. If people are so upset by the orientation of names on the map that they refuse to countenance playing with it, that's their loss. If you are offended then I suggest that is more about you than it is about Power Grid.

The idea that North = Up is just a convention. As a game board it works fine, and the inverted names are just a friendly nod that this is the first official map for the Southern hemisphere. Play it - it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
The "useability" seems murky here. If it's harder to read upside-down text, well, no matter which way the cities are printed, they look right-side-up from only one side of the board. Unless all players are sitting on that single favored side of the board, some players will see the city names upside down or sideways in any case.

Theoretical complaining about the unusual city name orientation is one thing, but when a group of 4 of us actually played on the map, in reality I don't believe it made any practical difference at all to any of us!

So now I am curious if any of the people who dislike the map and think it would be less usable/clear/etc have played on it, and if they found their concerns to be valid in practice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I played on the map.

The useability issue boiled down to it being jarring that convention is broken. We're used to seeing Australia oriented with North at the top, and we're used to all the text on the board being oriented the same way.

The Australia board is disorienting because the resource numbers and geography (at least, the geography the way we're used to seeing it) is oriented one way, but the cities and connections costs are the other way up. It means that you have to keep mentally switching gears, and it makes it harder to perceive the board situation as a whole.

The city names matter to me. It's part of the experience. For our group, I have no doubt that the upside down cities and costs detracted from the experience.

Was it insurmountable? No, of course not. We adapted, and it didn't cause confusion issues - just latency issues.

Is it a reason not to buy the map? Hell no! It's one of the most fun PG maps I've played, and the uranium market is a neat twist, and you get to accuse one another of being roo-rooting convicts.

At the end of the day though, I would choose a right-way-up map over this one in a heartbeat. And that was worth feeding back to the designers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
It would not be the first time an upside down reference has been made for an Australian reference whistle

Case in point Agricola L-Deck, Melissa's card. Top right in this image. Click through for a larger size to see the text (if you dare!).

I think it is fun and a nod to Australians.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the L deck is a joke, the upside-down schtick works for it. It feels rather tired and out of place in the context of Power Grid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The map of Japan has West (or WNW) at the top. Why aren't people complaining about the Japan map?

The Central Europe map is also rotated from true north.

Map of the world as seen by an Australian:

BTW, I would like a world map like this: Put the south pole in Alice Springs. Put the north pole in the North Atlantic, 180 degrees from Alice. Roll that out in a Lambert projection. (Or some other projection, but not Mercator because I want it to reach the poles.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
The map of Japan has West (or WNW) at the top. Why aren't people complaining about the Japan map?

FWIW, I'd call it NW rather than WNW. Anyway, I'd imagine that the reason we don't see complaints about the orientation of the Japan board is twofold. Firstly, I think most people can see that rotating the map (by 45-68 degrees) was a necessary step in making it fit the board. Secondly, all the text components are oriented the same.

Quote:
The Central Europe map is also rotated from true north.

By around 25 degrees, not 180!

Quote:
Map of the world as seen by an Australian:

I'm a New Zealander. I thought that upside-down maps were super-awesome when I first encountered them 30-or-so years ago, and I still think they're cute - but I don't think in terms of them.

Quote:
BTW, I would like a world map like this: Put the south pole in Alice Springs. Put the north pole in the North Atlantic, 180 degrees from Alice. Roll that out in a Lambert projection. (Or some other projection, but not Mercator because I want it to reach the poles.)

Yes, I want to see that too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Good point; but I gather that part of the complaint is that on the Australia map, the city names are upside down relative to the numbers on the player order and number of cities owned tracks. On the other maps, all that text is oriented the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it recently: after the first observation about orientation and entirely predictable antipodean references when the map was unwrapped it never again received a mention during an entirely enjoyable 6p session.

You can make a mountain out of a molehill if you enjoy that sort of thing: we didn't bother and just enjoyed a variant on a theme.

After all, if you play with houses the size of 1/3 of a city, just how important is what the "cities" are called or which way up the text is?

If you enjoy the mechanics of powergrid, buy, play, enjoy. If you want geographical accuracy - buy an atlas - it'll be out of date the day after it's sent to the printer (if not sooner).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.