Hide
17 Posts

Magic: The Gathering» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tap target creature vs. tap target creature rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robin sandin
msg tools
Me and my opponent both have a Master Decoy (tap to tap target creature). http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...

I want to use my MD to tap one of his stronger creatures. In response, he taps his MD to tap my MD, preventing my tapping of his stronger creature.

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No! You pay the cost (white and tap your MD) and the ability goes on the stack. In response, he pays white and taps his MD and his own ability goes on your stack. However, he can't interrupt your activating the MD. Once you've activated its ability, it is on the stack and tapping your MD won't do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
No, abilities always go on the stack so it would go roughly like this.

You have priority.

You say I am going to tap your big guy with my Master Decoy.

Pay Costs: Pay one white, Tap your MD, Choose Target (The big guy)

Pass priority.

Opponent: I am going to tap your MD with my Master Decoy.

Pays costs: Pat white, Tap his MD, Target your MD.

He Passes priority

You pass priority

Top ability resolves. His MD tries to tap yours. It sees it is already tapped and does nothing (really it taps something that is already tapped which has no effect)

Your ability resolves and taps the big guy.

Once an ability is on the stack you have to have a card that specifically targets an ability on the stack to affect it. Tapping the thing that made the effect isn't going to do anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
rolle123 wrote:
Me and my opponent both have a Master Decoy (tap to tap target creature). http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiver...

I want to use my MD to tap one of his stronger creatures. In response, he taps his MD to tap my MD, preventing my tapping of his stronger creature.

Correct?

It all goes onto the stack.

So you tap you guy, and it's ability goes on the stack (you've already paid the cost of tapping your creature). Then, you pass priority to him, where he taps HIS guy and the ability goes on the stack. He passes priority back to you, and you can choose to do something or pass, then it goes to him. Then the stack resolves from the top down. So he gets to tap someone first, but as you guy is already tapped, he's not really a legal target. Well, I guess he is, but it won't do anything (you can't be double tapped). Then you get to resolve your ability and tap his big dude.

There are instant speed things in the game, but there's nothing that really "interrupts" any one else's action, everything goes to the stack before it resolves.

Once you get the hang on the stack, most rules questions can answer themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ducas
United States
Manchester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Back in my day (OK gramps) there was actually a card type called interrupt that did just that.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoga Wind
United States
Mill Valley
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkrider wrote:
Back in my day (OK gramps) there was actually a card type called interrupt that did just that.

http://www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.aspx?x=mtgcom/...

Nowadays we call it "Split Second"...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Interrupt is gone long ago.
As spoon said, split second is the way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Neither interrupts not split second would change this scenario. Nothing you can do interrupts another player in the middle of casting a spell (ie, putting it on the stack).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nico
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
But I don’t want to go among mad people
badge
Oh, you can’t help that, we’re all mad here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
Neither interrupts not split second would change this scenario. Nothing you can do interrupts another player in the middle of casting a spell (ie, putting it on the stack).

You're right. With split second it's possible to stop the opponent cancel your spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
What??? No more interrupts?

So what's the rule for cards, pre-sixth, that are explicitly interrupts? Have them become 'split-seconds'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thane BenAngelo
msg tools
often wrote:
rolle123 wrote:

Correct?

So you tap you guy, and it's ability goes on the stack (you've already paid the cost of tapping your creature). Then, you pass priority to him, where he taps HIS guy and the ability goes on the stack. He passes priority back to you, and you can choose to do something or pass, then it goes to him. Then the stack resolves from the top down. So he gets to tap someone first, but as you guy is already tapped, he's not really a legal target.

New old player here. Still new to the stack concept.

What if we turned it around a bit? Changed the order.

His MD acts first, paying to tap your MD. Is there time to then tap your MD to tap his fatty? His on the bottom of the stack, yours above it. By the time his resolves, your MD is already tapped so his has no effect, yesno?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
NO they are instants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parataxis wrote:

His MD acts first, paying to tap your MD. Is there time to then tap your MD to tap his fatty? His on the bottom of the stack, yours above it. By the time his resolves, your MD is already tapped so his has no effect, yesno?

He activates his MD, and pays the cost (tapping it), and choosing targets (your MD). You may now respond.

You activate your MD, and pay the cost (tapping it), targeting his fatty. He may now respond.

No player takes any action, your ability resolves, and his fatty is tapped. Both players have an opportunity to announce other abilities or instants in turn order - but let's assume nothing is added to the stack here.

No player takes any action, his ability resolves. The ability does as much as possible (which isn't much in this case, because your MD is already tapped).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Parataxis wrote:
often wrote:
rolle123 wrote:

Correct?

So you tap you guy, and it's ability goes on the stack (you've already paid the cost of tapping your creature). Then, you pass priority to him, where he taps HIS guy and the ability goes on the stack. He passes priority back to you, and you can choose to do something or pass, then it goes to him. Then the stack resolves from the top down. So he gets to tap someone first, but as you guy is already tapped, he's not really a legal target.

Just to summarize the answers.

Whether your opponent taps his MD before you, or in response to you, you can still use your own MD, and your own MD will still work.

In both cases, when your opponent's MD resolves, your MD is already tapped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Or even more generally: *costs* occur when a spell or ability is cast / activated (read: announced/played). Everything else happens when it resolves (read: when people stop making other stuff happen and let that thing happen).

If the cost of an ability is to tap a creature, that creature that activated an ability that included tapping it as a cost will already be tapped before anyone gets a chance to respond.

Likewise for sacrifices. When a Mogg Fanatic's ability is activated (sacrifice Mogg Fanatic: Mogg Fanatic deals 1 damage to target creature or player), that Mogg Fanatic is dead and gone by the time anyone else can begin responding to the activation. Which is to say they can't Murder the Mogg Fanatic in response - it isn't even around anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caerid is just some guy
United States
Cannon Falls
MN
flag msg tools
Can't I even get privacy in the bathroom?
mbmbmbmbmb
crambaza wrote:
Parataxis wrote:
often wrote:
rolle123 wrote:

Correct?

Just to summarize the answers.

Whether your opponent taps his MD before you, or in response to you, you can still use your own MD, and your own MD will still work.

In both cases, when your opponent's MD resolves, your MD is already tapped.

Just to throw another wrinkle in on this conversation:

Player One has an MD, the player two has a Royal Assassin. Assuming player one attempts to tap player two's big creature, can the royal assassin then tap to destroy him before his effect takes place and player two's big creature would not get tapped? I'm fairly sure I know the answer to this, but I want to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.