Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
18 Posts

Star Trek: Attack Wing» Forums » General

Subject: Has anyone used the Command Token? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When it was 1st spoiled everyone seemed gaga over the free actions, but since OP2 started, I've heard 0 noise about the command tokens. Has anyone used one, tried one, etc.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jmdt784 wrote:
When it was 1st spoiled everyone seemed gaga over the free actions, but since OP2 started, I've heard 0 noise about the command tokens. Has anyone used one, tried one, etc.


I was thinking the same thing and was gonna start a thread...thanks for doing so!

Random thoughts:

I'm trying to build a Federation fleet for one of my sons to use at OP3 and I decided Command Tokens would need to be part of it. For some reason is seems to make the most sense for me with Federation.

In general my thought on Command Tokens had been that it would be a great freebie in casual play, ie everybody gets it. That way players focus less on trying to add it into the build, and more on the hard decision on which 5 commands to take.

Today, each ship/fleet has its own style. I think Command Tokens kinda give a chance for the player's style to come out based on the commands chosen.

TerriGirl (the gal that gave the awesome video preview of OP2) seemed to indicate they used it in casual play as a sort of measure of prowess by seeing how many "pips" you had left at the end of the game.

Anyway, I would love to see more discussion about them...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Curious - I was actually thinking the 'Command Token' would be more used OUTSIDE of the Federation, with the 'Elite Attack Die' taking precedence WITHIN the Federation.

The reason being those infernal 'battle stations' results. Most factions can't do anything with those, outside of photon torpedoes. So an 'elite die' that you are spending so many squad points on, but still has (to you) "blank sides"...seems a bit useless!

For the Federation (and the D-7 and Jem'hadar ship, of course - everyone with 'battle stations' as an action), the 'Elite Attack Die' is a great fit...at least one hit guaranteed, with better odds for a crit or even a double-hit result...VERY desirable!

On the other hand, the other factions can't get a guaranteed hit from *that*...but they can from the command tokens, at least once. And then adding attack die, re-rolling attack die, etc...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
. .

California
msg tools
Avatar
I tested them out this past week and I like them better than the Elite Attack Dice. I used them mainly to re-roll, add dice, make sure I got a hit for my Suicide Attacks. But also being able to Target Lock, Battle Stations for my Gor Portas came in handy too.

The Command Token is just way more versatile. The Elite Attack Dice more or less guarantees a hit but that hit can easily be canceled.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a one-on-one match with a friend, him running the 5th Wing Patrol Ship against my Defiant. His build included the tokens, and I believe he used all or 4 of the 5 of them. They never made a big difference and I think I got him to waste one of the free actions with some deft maneuvers. That said, he played them face up so I knew at all times what I could potentially be taking. In the end he won the match, probably because my action economy wasn't there for Quantum Torpedoes and Cloaking Device, even with Picard. It was close, but my dice needed better results than they were getting. He had Gul Danar and an Anti-Proton Scan on his ship I believe. Might have been a few points under 40.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charles skrobis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried them once. They felt a lot like a free action effect, which made a ship keep up with martok or piccard. I went in with a bit of a bad mind set against a piccard where I just wanted to throw actions in to do as much damage as possible and wasted a couple of the tokens. Overall, I feel that I'm leaning more toward the in combat ones now, because though are used when you'd want them, rather then the normal battle stations, scans and what not. Though I could see target lock being great in a fleet with secondary weapons. Hoping to see more use out of them, excepting most the excitement to be focused toward the next resource of flag ships.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Sanchez
United States
Clermont
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll probably be using them exclusively once I get hold of a set tomorrow. The pressure you can put on without requiring those extra points in the form of captains or crew is tremendous. BTW, all the offensive tokens are better (since attack dice are strictly better than defense dice - 4/8 chance to hit and possibly crit vs 3/8 chance to dodge). In order, the best ones are going to be

1) Reroll Attack Dice - essentially a target lock at any time.
2) Battlestations - Combine with regular target lock, maximum damage! Also incredibly good on ships that can't otherwise get BS tokens
3) Target Lock - not as good as BS, but can keep damage average high while using another crew action like Scotty.
4) Set Attack Die - guarantee at least one Crit result.
5) Green Reroll - *When combined with cloak. Otherwise equal to everything else.
6) everything else
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan M D Thomas
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw a few people use them in OP2. They are good. How good depends on the build. My gf lost to a guy that made quite good use of them. 1 extra attack die and a guaranteed evade can really swing a battle if used at the right time.

I haven't used mine yet, I need to come up with a fleet build to try them. I'll have to do that this Saturday when I play.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
Until I have a solid three ship Federation build, the Command Tokens are a must for my build.

I use Picard on the D with Sulu and Spock, with Khan on a Galaxy with Joachim, Scotty and Bones.

I use the command tokens for extra attack dice, or free scans or battle stations.

I am known for notoriously getting Khan into range 1, with scotty's free action from bones, and a regular battle stations from khan, with an added plus 1 red attack die from the command tokens.

That's 8 attack dice with a battle stations. My dominion friends won't play me as I usually had a target lock on their ship before I do the above.

Except for my silly play mistake at the last OP, the build I have created has been virtually undefeated tournament-wise. Again, because of how crucial that extra 1 red attack dice is!

Also, afterwards khan can use them to add to his evade or re-rolling any attack dice.

After using it for 2 months now, it's become a staple in my lists.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I used them in our OP2 since we were given them at the beginning of the event. I'm not 100% positive, but I also think I was the only one using it (although I did see the Elite Attack Die). It didn't come into play very often, but when it did it can be pretty handy to have some rerolls, extra attack/defense dice, and things like Battle Stations or Scan at opportune moments. I'd definitely use it again if I had the points to spare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Godzillafreak01 wrote:
Until I have a solid three ship Federation build, the Command Tokens are a must for my build.

I use Picard on the D with Sulu and Spock, with Khan on a Galaxy with Joachim, Scotty and Bones.

I use the command tokens for extra attack dice, or free scans or battle stations.


I like this Fed build. What do you do with the extra 10 pts? Elite Talents?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Dice
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I found them very useful! I used them in OP2 and came first place. Maybe I did something wrong laugh
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
delta_angelfire wrote:
I'll probably be using them exclusively once I get hold of a set tomorrow. The pressure you can put on without requiring those extra points in the form of captains or crew is tremendous. BTW, all the offensive tokens are better (since attack dice are strictly better than defense dice - 4/8 chance to hit and possibly crit vs 3/8 chance to dodge). In order, the best ones are going to be

1) Reroll Attack Dice - essentially a target lock at any time.
2) Battlestations - Combine with regular target lock, maximum damage! Also incredibly good on ships that can't otherwise get BS tokens
3) Target Lock - not as good as BS, but can keep damage average high while using another crew action like Scotty.
4) Set Attack Die - guarantee at least one Crit result.
5) Green Reroll - *When combined with cloak. Otherwise equal to everything else.
6) everything else


You can only use Battlestations on those ships in your fleet that can already get a battle stations token.

I think the Command set is potentially very useful, but keep in mind each token can only be used once in a game and only one can be used in each round. The EAD can be used once each round, so they have the potential to be more useful over a longer attack heavy game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A ship without a Battle Stations Icon can still make use of the free Battle Stations Command Token.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
dc0nklin wrote:
Godzillafreak01 wrote:
Until I have a solid three ship Federation build, the Command Tokens are a must for my build.

I use Picard on the D with Sulu and Spock, with Khan on a Galaxy with Joachim, Scotty and Bones.

I use the command tokens for extra attack dice, or free scans or battle stations.


I like this Fed build. What do you do with the extra 10 pts? Elite Talents?


Khan gets cheat death, and I added in Miles on the D. I love. 98pts builds because it gives my Picard initiative over my opponents. I've killed many a Picard by using mine to get in the way of theirs!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
Btw guys, I have a build for OP3 that uses quantum torps with the command tokens. If my opponent moves 4 up towards the planet, Picard in the D moves 5, scans and target locks (that is if they de-shield to beam troops down)...

Then gets the command token to re-roll any red dice that turn. I've run multiple rolls, it's nearly always 6 hits with spocks help!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skyguard
msg tools
mbmb
Godzillafreak01 wrote:
Btw guys, I have a build for OP3 that uses quantum torps with the command tokens. If my opponent moves 4 up towards the planet, Picard in the D moves 5, scans and target locks (that is if they de-shield to beam troops down)...

Then gets the command token to re-roll any red dice that turn. I've run multiple rolls, it's nearly always 6 hits with spocks help!


A 5 dice re-roll plus Spock and scan avgs 3.75 + 1.125=4.875 hits plus 1 for quantum torps.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Bishop
msg tools
..... Never tell me the odds... >>

Either way, 5 hits on a downed shielded ship (rolling at MOST 3 def dice) means that you're going to severely cripple them, especially if kirk is in the fleet as well!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.