Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
melanzowniatv.znadplanszy.pl
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RULES wrote:
When the Helipad tile is turned up, the person who has the least number of zombies places it.
Oh, please can you tell why the player who killed the LEAST zombies has the advantage? This makes no sense to me. Does it mean that I should avoid any fight all the time? It is possible not to fight during the entire game! Shouldn't the killing of the zombies be the purpose of this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Diehl
United States
Junction City
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
The eerie war chant emanating from the morning fog set chills down every spine. "Lah, lah, la lah, lah, lah."
mbmbmbmbmb
We just play that whoever draws the helipad places it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have 25 zombies in your "killed zombies" pile at the end of your turn you win. It's the reason all the buildings, weapons, bullets, lives, etc exist. Win that way and you avoid the "race to the helipad".

Don't worry about trying to stay alive in this game. It's a race in two parts. The first part is to try and beat the other players by killing 25 zombies. The second part is to be the first to the center square of the helipad tile. Both objectives are tough to complete but don't ignore one to concentrate on the other.

This game gets short shrift in that it's not a "typical" zombie game in which you are trying to stay alive. In this game, that's not going to happen. It's actually detrimental to winning. It's a racing game. Grab everything you can for resources and kill, kill, kill! If you get killed you start over again but you only lose half the zombies in your "dead pile" so you aren't completely out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Back when I played this game more, we used a couple different house rules. One was that the only winning condition was the helipad. Another was that the person with the most kills gets to place the helipad when its drawn. In this way the game had a check against a run away winner as everyone picks on the person with most zombie kills, and saves their worst cards as far as movement is concerned for when the helipad is drawn. You could try something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baartoszz wrote:
Does it mean that I should avoid any fight all the time?

Yes. That is exactly what it means.

Baartoszz wrote:
Shouldn't the killing of the zombies be the purpose of this game?

No. It's not a scientific experiment. It's a game.

The purpose of the game is to have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Chlebicki
Poland
Warsaw
Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips. After our first game I had a feeling that it's almost impossible to kill 25 zombies before the helipad occurs and this is only the time limit rule. It seems that I was wrong

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Stevens
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Games: Design 'em, rewrite 'em, play 'em!
mbmbmbmbmb
In my revised rules I had the player with most zombie trophies places helipads. Of course in my rules you can't win by getting enough trophies. The only win for a human is to get to the chopper. Players can become zombies, in which case they win only if everyone is a zombie and they have the most trophies.

With the ordinary rules getting enough trophies gives you a win so giving heli pad placement to the player with the least trophies is a balancing rule. That means kill lots o zombies is one strategy, hold back and wait is another.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Jayface
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

Just finished our first game. There were two players; one with 18 zombies when the helipad tile was drawn and one with 6 zombies. The secondary player happened to be at the edge of the map when the tile came up (they had been laying a tile, defeating single zombies and then waiting at the edge), placed it in the adjacent space and waltzed home to victory.

I was not that player. It is time to adopt a house rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scobles wrote:
I was not that player. It is time to adopt a house rule.

So you lost, therefore you need a house rule? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Chlebicki
Poland
Warsaw
Mazovia
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. The house rule is needed because the cowards have very big chance to win which I personally hate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baartoszz wrote:
No. The house rule is needed because the cowards have very big chance to win which I personally hate.

Gosh, that sounds like a lot of zombie movies I've seen.

Did you have fun in the game where the cowards won?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Klekawka
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In several plays of this game I thinks wins by kill have outnumbered wins by escape by a slim margin. Stuff like using the molotov cocktail or chainsaw in a packed building can go a long way toward this sort of thing.

The rules say you must reach the center of the Helipad tile and kill any zombies there, though I usually houserule that you have to clean the whole tile up before you can start the chopper..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are getting near the bottom of the deck and the helipad isn't out yet...you need to adjust your tactics. If you have close to 20 zombie kills, plenty of life and weapons you head to the biggest pile of zombies you can find. If you're in the 10-12 zombie kill territory then you need to get your ass over to where the person with the lowest amount of kills is. If you're right next to them when the helipad is drawn they will do one of two things: they will either place it right near them, hoping to get to it first or they will put it as FAR AWAY from everyone as possible. Either way you've put yourself in a better chance to win.

I believe it works great the way it's written out in the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Also there are plenty of cards that can pile or move zombies to other players and when you ly tiles lay them to block the area the player with the lowest amount is heading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.