Subject: Brilliant Blitzkreig - still lose the game (with photos). rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dougie LB
Wales
Bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a glutton for punishment, no matter how hard I try I can't seem to get the Germans across the river into the VP hexes in Leningrad. Fortunately it's a tiny game that doesn't take long to play which makes the punishment seem worthwhile.

The German sets up in huge overstacks in East Prussia while the Soviets are strung across the map in a thin line with some reserves strategically placed so that they won't reach the Germans and have to attack on GT1.

On GT1 the German PZ Corps launch several overruns to setup surrounded attacks on Soviet front line units. Using advances after combat the German sets up a good defence to await the mandatory Soviet counterattack. The Soviets get stuck in and bounce leaving themselves vulnerable to the next wave of German Attacks. GT2 & 3 sees the German smash the Soviet front line units and most of the reserves, surging across the Western Dvina river line:

By the end of GT6 the Germans are on the outskirts of Leningrad with 2 full strength Pz Corps and the infantry charging up behind them:

GT8 sees the high point of the German advance as they capture the southwestern Leningrad hex - worth 0 VPs! They are applying pressure all along the Soviet line with full stacks of full strength infantry but the swamps, forts and continuing reinforcements are making the going very slow now:

The last 4 turns turn into trench warfare with the Germans needing the dice gods to roll a 6 for a DE at 6-1 to clear another city hex and not getting it. Instead the Soviets lose a couple of units each turn that are replaced by reinforcements of thinning the line outside the city. The German has failed again:

Given the SPI victory conditions, I think that the German cannot win through brilliant play but the Soviet could possibly lose if a gigantic mistake is made and then only with luck. I think the German probably needs a few more hexrows to the East to stretch the Soviets more thinly and/or a few more turns to balance the game up a little. I understand there are some variant victory conditions and would be grateful if someone could point me in their direction. However even having said all this, it won't stop me trying again!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dougie

I have Gregg Blancett's variant rules from Consim with new VC hexes and condions. Message me your email address and I'll get it off to you

He posted these in the Consim Leningrad folder for everyone to download
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Heath
United States
Galesburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jackiesavon wrote:
Dougie

I have Gregg Blancett's variant rules from Consim with new VC hexes and condions. Message me your email address and I'll get it off to you

He posted these in the Consim Leningrad folder for everyone to download

Why not just cut and paste the lot here for other readers (like me!) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or you can download it yourself from where it's always been...

http://www.dfwfront.net/files/Leningrad_SPI.zip

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Greg

I did get it off to Dougie but this will really be easy.

I didn't cut & paste because some BGG Admin's have deleted my message when I did so since it was something that I didn't make myself.Has happened even with offered to email it to a person so I never know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dougie LB
Wales
Bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Kim for the email, I think the Germans have a chance at a minor victory with the revised rules and victory conditions.

Thanks in advance to Greg for anyone else who would like a copy of the revised rules, I for one was unaware of the dfwfront website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blanchett
United States
Lewisville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My pleasure, guys... it's just my own personal website I use for hosting stuff.

cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.