5 Posts

Francis Drake» Forums » General

Subject: playable with 6 players?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Scheibner
msg tools
Hej
First of all, I like Francis Drake very much, so that I bought the game in Essen. There I played Francis Drake with 5 players, and it looked for me that the competition on the map was not that intense. Would it be possible that the game will support 6 players to make it even more tense? Any comments?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really see how...you'd never be able to get enough provisions to do much each voyage...when we played with 5 the "provisioning phase" was VERY intense, and the voyage was competitive as well...(esp voyages 2 & 3)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Svalbard wrote:
Hej
First of all, I like Francis Drake very much, so that I bought the game in Essen. There I played Francis Drake with 5 players, and it looked for me that the competition on the map was not that intense. Would it be possible that the game will support 6 players to make it even more tense? Any comments?

Cheers

My copy is not yet here, but I suspect that 6 players would not work well. There are locations on the board that only support the max five players... certainly you could try some variant creation though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Scheibner
msg tools
Well in Essen we played it with 5 players but as the 5th player came late, the demonstrator missed to put up the location tiles for 5 players, so we we played a 5 player game with the location tiles for 4 players. It is correct that not all the people could do everything they wanted, but I thought this was the intention of the game. So I think it should easily play with 6, maybe just add one supply field (barrels) from the 3 player game. And luckily the game came along with a 6th sticker set. I just have to buy new wooden bits, and choose something for the nice ships.
When I play it with 6, I will report, but it probably will take a while.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Svalbard wrote:
Well in Essen we played it with 5 players but as the 5th player came late, the demonstrator missed to put up the location tiles for 5 players, so we we played a 5 player game with the location tiles for 4 players. It is correct that not all the people could do everything they wanted, but I thought this was the intention of the game. So I think it should easily play with 6, maybe just add one supply field (barrels) from the 3 player game. And luckily the game came along with a 6th sticker set. I just have to buy new wooden bits, and choose something for the nice ships.
When I play it with 6, I will report, but it probably will take a while.

Cheers

I would suggest a different tweak. For the locations Crew, Guns, Supplies, and trade goods I would pretend that there was an extra spot. I would duplicate the second best spot. During game play the second player to visit should put their disc on top of the first disc and claim the reward of the second spot. This way the second spot isn't covered up.

I'm interested in hearing how the play goes. In particular, the sailing phase should be a little tighter which I think I might enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.