Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you cause an environment change, can all of your animals gain strength, or only ones which only one have an exact match? For example. If I had one animal that is already a perfect match, then I make an environmental change that now makes a different animal match elements exactly, do both animals get stronger, or only the new perfect match?

EDIT: The ANSWER
- A "change" occurs any time the number of elements in the Evolution box exceeds the number of elements in the Current Environment box. If so, all elements in the Current box are returned to the bag. You then reveal the elements in Evolution, and all chips of the element with a simple majority move to the Current box.
- Any of your animals that have an exact match of elements (looking at all Current Environment boxes), AND that include the element you just added to the Current box, gain strength.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Re: Gaining Strength
Only those with a perfect match.
From rule 6.5, "...the strength of that animal(s) increases by one" (my emphasis).
In your example, only the new one would gain strength.
Remember, too, that you must make a change of some kind in the environment in order to score a strength change. You can't pass and just leave it as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Another question: what is a "change". If the current environment in one player box is 2 yellows, and then I place some chips such that the new environment has 2 yellow and an orange element: the old 2 yellows go away, only to be replaced by 2 new yellows. Is that a "change"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
Yes.
In fact, if someone places some chits down on the one or both of the original 2 yellows such that some of the originals have to be removed, and are replaced by yet more yellows--meaning that the change that has occurred leaves the original two yellows as yellow still--this, too, constitutes a change.
In other words change means some chits are removed to be replaced by others--regardless of the type; regardless of the end result.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool!

OK, back to the original question which I'm a bit unclear on again (because I worded my question poorly, now that I look at it again!). So here's an example:

Let's use letters for environment.
My animals in play: ABC BCD CDE BCE
Current environment (aggregating all 4 player boxes) is: AABBBCD
I replace AA with EE, so now the environment is: BBBCDEE

So which animals get stronger?
- BCD, because it's an exact match?
- BCE, because it is newly an exact match?
- CDE, because it is newly an exact match?

According to your previous post, I think only the last 2 would get stronger. Is that correct? If so, a followup:

If I replaced AA with AA, so the environment had "changed" but to exactly the same as before (AABBBCD), which animals get stronger:
- ABC?
- BCD?
In this case, it would only be ABC, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
snoozefest wrote:
Cool!

OK, back to the original question which I'm a bit unclear on again (because I worded my question poorly, now that I look at it again!). So here's an example:

Let's use letters for environment.
My animals in play: ABC BCD CDE BCE
Current environment (aggregating all 4 player boxes) is: AABBBCD
I replace AA with EE, so now the environment is: BBBCDEE

So which animals get stronger?
- BCD, because it's an exact match?
- BCE, because it is newly an exact match?
- CDE, because it is newly an exact match?

According to your previous post, I think only the last 2 would get stronger. Is that correct? If so, a followup:

Correct.

snoozefest wrote:

If I replaced AA with AA, so the environment had "changed" but to exactly the same as before (AABBBCD), which animals get stronger:
- ABC?
- BCD?
In this case, it would only be ABC, right?

Right on. Only the animals which benefit from the item changed will get stronger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools
You're welcome.
Thanks for the tip.

Here's a strategy tip. Have you discovered this yet?
You can use a rapid environmental change (6.4) when you can't muster enough of your elements to stay ahead of your opponent.
If you look at the example in the book, imagine you want the fish (A), but you don't have any to add. Instead you can add a tree (which your opponent is trying to bring in), assuming you have one of those at least, plus something else. This will trigger the first change (B). Then with your opponent's element outnumbered by the 4 pieces left, another change is triggered (C), so the trees disappear, and your two fish remain the strongest element (D). You do have to keep track of what's down to accomplish this.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this is likely not going to be my game of choice -- it pissed me off to no end when I had 3 animals killed in one turn, despite being in distant last place, due to someone else's poor decision (the other target for her attack won the game). I hate having to convince people to attack someone else and not me! Boo to negotiation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

shake
And they probably call themselves 'friends'.
Yea, I have friends like that, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.