Juan Valdez
msg tools
Hello,

I play Descent on a not regular basis with a friend. A couple of month ago we played half through the campaign of the base game, sticking to the advice to use 4 heroes for reasons of game-balance. As it turned out I didn't manage to keep track of all the skills and special rules of al 4 heroes and had therefor a very hard time winning anything.
Now want to start the LoR campaign with only 2 heroes.
Could anyone give us advice on which heroes and skillets to choose in order to make it a competitive campaign?
Good practices on how to keep track of all the special rule sand skills (especially when the heroes are more experienced) are very welcome, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Scenario, just play it slower and keep checking all your options. After that you should know you characters well enough.

And I thought 3 heroes was standard for balance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Darth Cookie Jar wrote:
which skillets to choose

Cast iron. Makes a great steak.

But seriously, I'd say a Healer is a must; either Disciple or Apothecary. Then perhaps the Treasure Hunter, or the Knight. Prioritize mobility and defense. Treasure Hunter is good for getting better gear, which is crucial.

ryanking wrote:
I thought 3 heroes was standard for balance?

The general consensus is that 2 heroes favors the overlord more, 3 heroes favors the heroes more, and 4 heroes is right about where the game should be. If you look at any of the PBF games here, almost all of them are 4 hero games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just because you get so many more monsters as the overlord w/ 4 people? This will really change how I play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The big difference is in action economy, which many think is one of the most important factors for deciding which side a quest favors.

For groups of small monsters, many follow the group limits of 1/1, 2/1, 3/1 for two, three, and four heroes. So, with all of those, the ratio of hero actions to monster actions remains the same at 1:1.

However, for groups of large monsters, many follow the group limits of 1/0, 0/1, 1/1 for two, three, and four heroes. So for two heroes, the ratio of hero actions to monster actions is 2:1. For three heroes, the ratio is 3:1. Then again for four heroes, the ratio is 2:1.

The rationale for why two heroes is more difficult than four heroes even though the action ratio is the same is that a two-hero team necessarily has more weaknesses than a balanced four-hero team, so it is easier for the Overlord to exploit.

This is a huge oversimplification because there are at lot of moving parts and possible combinations, but that's the general idea behind the notion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
The big difference is in action economy, which many think is one of the most important factors for deciding which side a quest favors.

For groups of small monsters, many follow the group limits of 1/1, 2/1, 3/1 for two, three, and four heroes. So, with all of those, the ratio of hero actions to monster actions remains the same at 1:1.

However, for groups of large monsters, many follow the group limits of 1/0, 0/1, 1/1 for two, three, and four heroes. So for two heroes, the ratio of hero actions to monster actions is 2:1. For three heroes, the ratio is 3:1. Then again for four heroes, the ratio is 2:1.

The rationale for why two heroes is more difficult than four heroes even though the action ratio is the same is that a two-hero team necessarily has more weaknesses than a balanced four-hero team, so it is easier for the Overlord to exploit.

This is a huge oversimplification because there are at lot of moving parts and possible combinations, but that's the general idea behind the notion.

To this I'd also like to add the mention of reinforcements; In The Shadow Ruin and Labyrinth of the Wyrm campaigns, most reinforcements are a set amount... Getting one new monster out each turn means a lot more to two heroes than to four of them, even if that one is only a minion monster and against the four you're getting a master monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would add that if you're playing a "friendly" game, then the best way to keep track of everything is for each player to remind the other from time to time. For example, the OL might say, "Would you like to use [that useful skill] before I roll my dice?" or the player might remind the OL to draw a card or bring in reinforcements, etc. If you are not power-mad and all-out-to-win, then this method of play will make for a very smooth game in which both sides will feel they're getting the best use of their powers and cards. I have trouble keeping track of only one hero, and I can get overwhelmed as OL, so a little help is useful.

I would second the advice to bring a healer onboard, you will need one in a two-hero game!

For some scenarios, good mobility is crucial with two heroes because you might have to split up temporarily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yev Blanco
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My friend and I are playing this campaign in 2-hero mode and it is REALLY easy for the heroes, differently from the basic campaign. Pilgrimage (the interlude) was finished in 10minutes. (really disappointing for both sides).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.