John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and yes, it's a "board game"...

- at almost 64 years old (in 17 days) I started with AH (waterloo, etc.) playing with my brother (11 years younger)...we had games on tables/on the floor for days at a time..."pushing counters" and rolling the 1 die...

- BUT...I also had boxes of civil war, knights, etc. "minis" (approx. 48 in a box) that we'd paint, and then make cardboard towns/castles for...and leave them up for days (asking grandma to "work around")...and stage massive battles (no fair way to "resolve" the battle, just start knocking the other guys men over based on what we thought might be fair)(smile)

- our dream was always to just "open a magic box, have all the armies jump out, and we'd give orders and the armies would decide how the battles should be fought" (no dice needed; the better troops obv would just win!)

- this obv was WAY before the really cool/great PC games avail now (if they'd been avail then, hundreds of hours with my brother, on the floor, probably would never have happened)(am I sounding "too old now"?)

- (but, I have to say, Scourge of War - Gettysburg http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml is, hands-down, the best AI and most realistic PC game I have ever played)...(now, i' not an expert/fanatic...I just want a real challenging game, and have fun)

- so...decades later, I find BGG

- and now after hundreds (easily)(trust me, i'm just too lazy to update my collection here on BGG) of purchases, KS backings, and sales I've obv become almost addicted to board games (and, SOW Gettysburg)

-there are so many games, many really good games, and honestly many many GREAT games! sometimes i'm overwhelmed (in a "guy way" of course)...my 83yr old mother-in-law not only loves TOR, but Dracon as well (4th edition, and fun with anyone we bring it out for)...my 9yr old grandson loves Lords of WaterDeep!!...there is really a game for everyone/anyone...

- and you know something, I can honestly say I've converted (easily) 15-20 friends/family...now it's "the norm" to get together, have dinner and a cocktail, and then play Settlers, LOWD, Pillars of the Earth, Zombicide, Francis Drake, etc. (game level depends on the guests)...the list goes on-and-on...but the point is, for EACH group there IS a board game that works for them...and now many of them ask for these games when making plans (and even as gifts for the holidays)...

- we think a little, and we have fun! we tend to not play games so "deep" that you can't talk/joke/etc while playing...but, almost everyone of us is always keeping our eye on the prize (very competitive people, and these games are in a way a "friendly" extension of their competitive nature)

- and i'm lucky enough to have (a) the best wife I could imagine; always willing to learn a new game, help me out testing a game before "guys game night", and if we have a no-show even fill-in (and wins probably more than any one of us!)...(b) a group of friends (couples and "just guys") that also enjoy the whole exp of a "game night"

i'm not probably good at these "posts", but as they say now "it is what it is" (smile)...BUT these games, the great minds that create them, BGG in general, and most of all everyone here on BGG make this a great adventure...I can not tell you how many times, breaking out a new game, 30 min before everyone shows up I notice a small "potential rules issue" not covered in the manual/book...and every single time it's happened within 15-20 of posting the question, BGG'ers have given me the answer...without fail

so...to me...at this point, i couldn't/wouldn't want to imagine my life without board games!!

(sorry...have to go now...my wife keeps insisting i walk "towards the light")(see you on the other side, and i'll bring the game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmb
Happy early Birthday, I hope it's great and filled with gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MP Szakos
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, thanks so much for sharing some of your life experiences.
Not that we ever painted them, but I also remember the army men battles of yesteryear with my brother. We had them hiding, especially the ones aiming the bazookas, in all the nooks and crannies of our room. Great memories.

I hope you have an enjoyable birthday with your wife, family, and friends.
P.S. For gift ideas, make sure they know about your BBG wish list

Best wishes,
Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Tak
United States
Chapin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers, sir, happy early birthday!

May we meet for a game on your one hundred and sixty fourth!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Apostle Green
United States
Lake County
Illinois
flag msg tools
That is not dead which can eternal lie
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you 64 years old, or 64 years young? You appear to have the enthusiasm for life of a person half your age! Roll on, good sir, and I also hope to have the honor of gaming with you on your 164th! (I'll be 144 then!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John, I loved reading your story. Have you ever listened to "The Moth" on NPR or YouTube? You could expand this into something worthy of these great life stories.

On another note, it gives me hope that there are game players my age out there - I love playing with my 20-45 year-old friends, but I dream of finding a life partner I could merge game collections with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MARCUS GABRIEL
United States
Grosse Pointe Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
"Five cents, please," his front door said when he tried to open it. The toll door had an innate stubborness to it... UBIK
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoyed your post! Today I am 51 years young, and like you have played games all my life. I look forward to another 50 years of gaming enjoyment-and wish you the same! You are an inspiration for all our younger gaming friends my good sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.