Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Luc
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys, this is my first review, so be gentle.

Summary: Really enjoyed it. Time flew by (enough for me to forget dinner and it ended in a late meal)

Our group: The girlfriend (new to board games) and myself. We elected to not use Nobel as this was a test run, and someone needs to learn the rules a bit.

Let's do a run through.

Unboxing: Well.. i'll be honest here, my girlfriend saw the punchouts and the stickers and ran off to a corner effectively and refused to let me be apart of that. So i made a cup of tea. Overall, i think i won?

How Long?: We took about 60 minutes (this includes looking through rules to confirmations etc). It will be quicker with all subsequent games now that we have a clue what we are dealing with.

Flow of the game: Initially, it was a little sluggish until the first lab fire (if she didn't finish that compound in turn 3, we would have been fine!). So, we had a big scattering of elements, and it really shuffled the compounds available for research up (perhaps, just deck luck there!).

Enjoyment: Both of us definitely enjoyed the game. It was simple and flows itself.

Additional notes:
1. I think the fire tokens (reaction condition) should be larger. They are currently a little too small for my likings as you could accidentally misplace one or two quite easily.
2. Clearly neither of us can shake a bag of elements well because everything was coming up carbon when there wasn't a single carbon compound available.
3. I think a time rule should be enabled. It needs more trials to determine the best time, but if a timer (let's say 15 seconds) was on, you only have 15 seconds to place your claims and place your elements. We had a few moments where a minute or so passed through contemplate of the next move.

I hope this helps anyone who has a read. I feel like this game could be a big hit at parties where ethanol may be present (adults only here everyone). I could definitely sense additional drinking rules coming into play and working wonders.

Feel free to comment/criticise.

Cheers,
Mickem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've actually been thinking of adding a sand timer to my copy of the game because certain phases seem to take entirely too long. Specifically, all the bargaining/pleading my group does really has lengthened out the Discovery phase. We have yet to finish a 4 player game in under 3 hours.

I'm not sure how long of a timer I would want, but I think that as soon as everyone has drawn their elements, the timer flips over and everyone has until that runs out to strike any bargains. As soon as time runs out we immediately end that phase. One side effect I could see of that would be that it would give the lead scientist much more of an edge as they would have longer to contemplate their draw from the bag. I would think that would even out over the course of the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Senchou wrote:
I've actually been thinking of adding a sand timer to my copy of the game because certain phases seem to take entirely too long. Specifically, all the bargaining/pleading my group does really has lengthened out the Discovery phase. We have yet to finish a 4 player game in under 3 hours.

I'm not sure how long of a timer I would want, but I think that as soon as everyone has drawn their elements, the timer flips over and everyone has until that runs out to strike any bargains. As soon as time runs out we immediately end that phase. One side effect I could see of that would be that it would give the lead scientist much more of an edge as they would have longer to contemplate their draw from the bag. I would think that would even out over the course of the game though.

3 hours?! I would blame your Lead Scientist(s). They should be taking up the role and rushing people along and declaring when the phases end. Break out the whip OF SCIENCE and whip it. Whip it good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Luc
Australia
Newcastle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The timer would also make people have to be quicker on their feet (so to speak). But i do agree, sometimes a game can take a lot longer to have phases when you can bargain and plead. Whenever this happens it either ends in someone almost declaring war on another player, or everyone starts helping each other. Either one adds huge amounts of time to the clock.

I'd think either a timer or a "trade limit" could be helpful to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some long games, but I always chalked it up to being a teaching game. So far, I've played about half a dozen times, varying group sizes and players, and I make it a point to take my time explaining it. Some groups picked it up pretty fast, some less so. I've got a friend who is prone to analysis paralysis, so he can agonize over choices. Another has trouble with getting his meaty paw into the bag so his discovery goes a little long lol.

Overall, I've found first time games longish, but they speed up considerably after a few plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.