Popular Tags: [View All]
robin goblin
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Here's the latest update from Gene at GMT re the expansion:

"Sorry for not being around much lately, guys. Been fighting some kind of bug. Anyway, did get some work done today, and will have some further updates for you over the next day or two.

For now, I've just updated the P500 numbers on our website. Kind of a slow week for older games on the list, but the new ones are chugging right along, led by Commands & Colors:Ancients Expansion Pack 1 at 621 after just a month on the list! Cool! Thanks, as always, for your support of the P500 program.

Oh, while I'm thinking about C & C: Ancients - one more piece of data about the Expansion Pack. We HAVE listened to you guys' feedback on the dice in the game. So, even though it's an expansion pack and not a stand alone game, the expansion pack WILL include new solid dice and stickers. We're not increasing the price of the expansion to cover this; rather it is just something we thought we should add to the package given the seemingly universal dislike for the game's original dice. It's one of the few complaints we hear about the game, but one we hear pretty often. Hopefully including new dice in the expansion will help address this concern. "

all the best,
Robin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
I think this is wonderful news, but I can't help but think there will be people who complain about this nonetheless.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're probably right.

You know, I probably can find 8-10 games on my shelf with perfectly "okay" dice and 3 or 4 more with especially nice dice.

But there is dust on the boxes because the GAME itself isn't all that good.

This one I'm playing... a lot (for me). And when I'm not playing, I'm thinking about when the next time I can play is.

I'll find something else to bitch about.

(Work, age, the loss of my throwing arm, hair, and good looks...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great to get another set of dice. I already pre-ordered the expansion, so I will look forward to the extra dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
willial butler
United States
patterson
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
thanks for including new dice with the expansion set. i never had any complaints about the original dice. my three year old daughter enjoys playing the game and the original dice are perfect for her.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Smit
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mb
I love GMT kiss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of geek would complain about receiving free replacement dice? - he said, mischievously throwing down the gauntlet... devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll complain. It means that I will end up with two sets of dice. One for me, one for my opponent. Past experience dictates that one set will be a "lucky" set, and one "unlucky". Giving me something else toi whine about when my opponent chosses the "lucky" set.

Lord knows *I'm* the one that deserves the luck. Cannae last night, playing as Carthage, I won by 8-7 - and there were two Carthaginian units ripe for the plucking on the Roman's next turn. I reckon that my opponent swapped his Varro piece for Scipio while my back was turned. Giving him the chance to be tricksey with the dice AS WELL as with the leaders will just ruin this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL Richard. At least you have an excuse for your losses though--the unlucky dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WEEHOOO!!
Can't wait for my copy with dice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll be finding out what the big deal with the dice is on Saturday when I pop over to Lincoln to see Audrey at TGS (www.tgs.co.uk) and pick up my copy of C&C:A. Without knowing the problem at first hand, I have to say I'd prefer dice like those in M44 but maybe thats uneconomic for GMT's print run. If C&C:A is anything like M44, then I'll be pre-pubbing any expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So what did you think of the dice then, Nigel? Bad enough "to throw yourself off a building"? Or bad enough "to refuse to buy the game"? For most of us they are bad enough "to come on here whining about them, when we've got nothing better to do"; in a few cases they are bad enough "to place an order for some solid blank-faced dice from someone like an educational supplier". But that's as bad as it really gets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Wright
United Kingdom
Nottingham
England
flag msg tools
Hornet Leader - Carrier Air Operations
badge
Herge's Adventures of Tintin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Richard, I was gobsmacked at how cheap and tacky they were, although I gather that was pretty much GMT's reaction too, but it they didn't feel it was worth holding the release of the game up for. So far I've resisted the temptation of shelling out $60 for a custom set from Chessex, although I have just (in the middle of writing this message!) ordered a set of 7 blank black D6 from em4 http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/Blank_Dice.html for a more modest £2.10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.