Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Lupieri
Sweden
Orebro
Orebro
flag msg tools
mb
Say I make a run on HQ using Nerve agent with three counters on it. Do I have to access three cards, or can I choose to just access one or two?
Reason I ask: When accessing cards, you always access them one at a time. Say the first card I draw from the corp hand is a Snare!. Another Snare! in his hand would flat line me. Do I still have to draw 2 more cards or can I choose to just access that one?
The rules on the card is that every counter above the first allows me to access one more card, but it does not explicitly tell me if I have to or if I just can if I want.

Another example would be when running on a remote server with an upgrade and a trap. Can I choose to just access the upgrade and leave the trap alone?

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lech Karol Pawłaszek
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With Medium or Nerve Agent you may access additional cards. However you must specify how many cards you want to access before accessing happens. So you cannot say "no more cards" after Snare!

Take a look at the cards. It says may.

FWIW - HQ Interface and R&D interface are mandatory. You cannot access choose to access fewer cards.

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Medium and Nerve Agent have "may" in their textboxes, so you may choose whether to access additional cards of not.

HQ/R&D Interface and Maker's Eye do not have "may", so you must access additional cards.

When running on a remote with multiple cards in it you must access them all, but you choose the order in which to access.

Similarly, if there is an upgrade on a central server, you must access it on a successful run.

Also, when accessing cards in Archives, you must access them all - and die if there are too many agendas and you're playing against Jinteki: Personal Evolution. But you can choose the order in which to access them, so maybe you can steal enought 3-pointers to win before the 1-pointers kill you.

The situation you discribe is the reason why installing multiple R&D Interfaces against Jinteki is not very wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Smith
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it says you may access, you can choose to access less, but you have to decide how many before you access any, and are committed to however many you chose.

When accessing cards in a remote, you access all the cards, you have no choice. If you could ignore traps, how would they ever go off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arnold Vincent Canaria
Australia
Kensington
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar to Medium, you must decide how many additional cards you would like to access from HQ using Nerve Agent before you actually access cards. Once decided, you cannot stop accessing cards

For the second question, you access all the cards in a remote server but you do decide the order at which you access them. If you win and flatline in the same access event, you still win the round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lupieri
Sweden
Orebro
Orebro
flag msg tools
mb
Actually, there is no may on the cards.
"Whenever you make a successful run on HQ, place a virus counter on Nerve Agen, Each virus counter after the first on Nerve Agent allows you to access 1 additional card from HQ whenever you access cards from HQ."
Same goes for Medium.
http://netrunnercards.info/find/?q=nerve+agent&sort=name&vie...

So, if I have to access all possible cards in a server when I run, it seems I have to draw as many cards as there are counters on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theleif wrote:
"Whenever you make a successful run on HQ, place a virus counter on Nerve Agen, Each virus counter after the first on Nerve Agent allows you to access 1 additional card from HQ whenever you access cards from HQ."
Same goes for Medium.

So, if I have to access all possible cards in a server when I run, it seems I have to draw as many cards as there are counters on the card.

I've bolded the part that gives the runner a choice. Check out the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Zetterman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theleif wrote:
Same goes for Medium.

Medium and Nerve agent are covered by the official FAQ, which states that you can choose how many cards you want to access from HQ/R&D, but you must do so prior to accessing the first card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lupieri
Sweden
Orebro
Orebro
flag msg tools
mb
I've read through the FAQ, but I can't find that info anywhere. Am I blind? I have the latest FAQ (1.3), released for the upcoming tournament...

Also, if the card states that it allows you to look at additional cards, and if the rules says you have to access all cards you can access in a server, doesn't that mean you have to access all the cards nerve agent allowed you to access?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right - it doesn't seem to be in the FAQ anymore. In any event, the language of the card suggests that accessing the extra card is optional rather than mandatory, but it might be worth sending in to see if they intended to overrule themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Zetterman
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theleif wrote:
I've read through the FAQ, but I can't find that info anywhere. Am I blind? I have the latest FAQ (1.3), released for the upcoming tournament...

Also, if the card states that it allows you to look at additional cards, and if the rules says you have to access all cards you can access in a server, doesn't that mean you have to access all the cards nerve agent allowed you to access?

That's... strange. It used to be there.

You must access all cards in the root of the server(HQ/R&D) and at least one card from the hand/top of R&D, but you may specify how many extra. The wording from the previous FAQ is as follows:

Quote:
If the Runner has a Medium installed with 3 virus counters on
it, how many cards must he access from R&D? If he can choose
how many he accesses, at what point in time does he choose?

The Runner may choose how many additional cards he is
accessing, but this decision occurs before he accesses the
first card (at the beginning of step 4.5 of a run). With 3 virus
counters on Medium, the Runner must access at least one card
and may access up to 3.

Here's a link to FAQ 1.1, this specific question is listed on page 3:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/819535/Netrunner%20rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zerf wrote:

FFG has reserved the right to not include infrequently asked questions in their FAQ. It also doesn't contain the hilarious Archer/Breaking News combo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
etherial wrote:
Zerf wrote:

FFG has reserved the right to not include infrequently asked questions in their FAQ. It also doesn't contain the hilarious Archer/Breaking News combo.

True, but now it's much harder to say with authority that Medium requires you to announce how many additional cards you're going to access before you begin accessing.

I still agree that that's the best way to rule it, but there is nothing in the current rules or FAQ backing me up. The card text as written supports the idea that I can access one card, see how that goes, and then choose to access another, or not.

Maybe it's a rules change; maybe it's an omission.

The Archer/Breaking News combo is far easier to arrive at using the card text and a fairly uncontroversial rule of textual analysis (separate abilities on the same card resolve separately).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
etherial wrote:
Zerf wrote:

True, but now it's much harder to say with authority that Medium requires you to announce how many additional cards you're going to access before you begin accessing.

Really strange, yeah. I also noticed that the interaction between Chum and Femme Fatale is no longer spelled out like it used to be. Making the FAQ shorter isn't really useful if they become less concise and comprehensive...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"The mystery of life isn't a problem to solve, but a reality to experience"
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
manydills wrote:
etherial wrote:
Zerf wrote:

Really strange, yeah. I also noticed that the interaction between Chum and Femme Fatale is no longer spelled out like it used to be. Making the FAQ shorter isn't really useful if they become less concise and comprehensive...

It is still there I believe, it is the example under bypass:

A:NR FAQ 1.3 pg 1 wrote:
“Bypass”
When an effect allows the Runner to “bypass” a piece of ice, he immediately passes that ice and continues the run. Any subroutines on the ice bypassed are not broken. Bypassing prevents any unresolved conditional abilities that met their trigger condition when the ice was encountered from resolving.

Example: The Runner encounters a piece of ice that she can bypass with Femme Fatale. The last piece of ice the Runner encountered was Chum, whose subroutine the Runner did not break. The Runner pays to bypass the current piece of ice with Femme Fatale, and takes 3 net damage from Chum’s ability, since subroutines on bypassed ice are not broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
It would be nice if there were also an "infrequently asked questions" sheet regarding rulings. Having a sheet that has a lot of rulings is better than not having anything at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Pettigrew
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
It would be nice if there were also an "infrequently asked questions" sheet regarding rulings. Having a sheet that has a lot of rulings is better than not having anything at all.

Most *CG companies simply put a comprehensive list of rulings all in one place that is easily searchable. This is in direct conflict with FFG's policy to print all documents on glossy paper made from bald eagle shells with full-bleed art hand-calligraphed using humanely harvested squid ink.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lupieri
Sweden
Orebro
Orebro
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you all for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.