Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Heineman
United States
LaCrosse
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FINALLY I got a couple of friends over to try this out after having run through the game solo about 5 times and working through all the ambiguous rules and game misprints. (BGG community, you ROCK).

The discussions revolving around the turn order of the groups on the multitracker were awesome, as advertised. The game felt very tactical. We ran 5 survivors between the 3 of us, and the first part of the game went fairly smoothly. We were able to open the lab while everyone was still at their full action points. We were able to put out the active fire thanks to using the sprinkler room. I felt we made some very smart decisions (like getting line of sight on zombie tokens in burning rooms to take advantage of the fire killing them off).

During the final showdown we ran into a couple questions though.

1. The nemesis was Helen Kronen, and I had already posted about her "extra" attack after movement in another thread a day previously, but sadly no one had answered my questions. She targets EACH survivor within a 2 tile distance. Since it's a ranged attack, I only count the wounds she rolls, but still roll 4 dice vs the survivor tile(s) defense dice count. Anyone want to chime in on that interpretation?

2. We weren't sure if destroyed rooms advanced the darkness track. We decided they shouldn't (mathematically near impossible to win that way). Discovered this morning that is correct: destroyed rooms do NOT advance the tracker.

3. When a survivor dies, does the darkness tracker advance? We played that it did not as the end game is different.

If we were correct in our rule interpretations, we actually won, thanks to Bunny rolling 4 hits and cutting Helen to pieces with the chainsaw after 2 corner rooms were destroyed.

The couple rule questions we weren't able to answer definitely took the air out of our victory. I didn't convey the difficulty of the game beforehand enough either, so I was a bit let down by my friends' reactions to the end. But they said they DID enjoy it, and perhaps next time since they will know what to expect, they will have a better experience. I hope so, b/c I am thoroughly enjoying the game (I LOVE a difficult game), and while playing it solo is fun, the group experience was SO MUCH better.

The one negative comment I have about it: I've now played through 6 times, and I have YET to find a weapon (not including the dynamite, land mine, grenade, or flame thrower). I went through and counted 8 guns/weapons in the entire deck. I realize why this is, but I hope any future expansions will add more weapons and change the game play a bit. The MOST frustrating defeat I suffered on one solo playthrough: I had successfully searched 11 rooms, usually finding more than 1 item. Never found a weapon. After I lost, just for fun I flipped over the next two cards of the deck: shotgun, sniper rifle. RARRRRR! :D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lukeheineman99 wrote:

2. We weren't sure if destroyed rooms advanced the darkness track. We decided they shouldn't (mathematically near impossible to win that way). Discovered this morning that is correct: destroyed rooms do NOT advance the tracker.

Sorry to contradict: P. 16 Fire - third paragraph, second row ...
"A room with three burn markers is destroyed: Move the darkness marker one space to the right."

BTW: In my last game Bruce and Lucy made a pretty good team. If they where in close combat, Bruce gave her his three actions for bashing the opponents with her baseball bat. Worked quite good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomnickname wrote:
lukeheineman99 wrote:

Sorry to contradict: P. 16 Fire - third paragraph, second row ...
"A room with three burn markers is destroyed: Move the darkness marker one space to the right."

BTW: In my last game Bruce and Lucy made a pretty good team. If they where in close combat, Bruce gave her his three actions for bashing the opponents with her baseball bat. Worked quite good. :)

That's for room destroyed before the showdown. Page 18 Has a table that shows it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Right! Sorry! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyrone ..................
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That only applies in the first portion of the game. The play, killed characters, and destroyed rooms count differently in the Final Showdown so he is correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I do have a question that I had to House Rule. It isn't laid out about losing health and the starting action cubes for the Showdown. I played it that once the Showdown began everything is basically locked into place at that point and so, especially primarily looking for 6 cubes to push things, even with a decrease in health we kept the full value of actions we entered with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Juri
Germany
München
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I hope I haven´t got that one wrong, but under Showdown:
"If a player loses one of his actions due to a loss of energy, he must remove one of his action markers from the game; he can remove an action marker from any space on the multitracker or from his hand"

In our showdowns we never had enough cubes to get six markers on every space. On the other hand we tried to kill the nemesis as fast as possible and, the two times we were in the showdown, killed him within six actions.
Last game Helen ran into a destroyed room with only one hit left and Leo charged right after her into the blazing hell, to bring her down with his fireaxe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely missed that. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randomnickname wrote:
I hope I haven´t got that one wrong, but under Showdown:
"If a player loses one of his actions due to a loss of energy, he must remove one of his action markers from the game; he can remove an action marker from any space on the multitracker or from his hand"

In our showdowns we never had enough cubes to get six markers on every space. On the other hand we tried to kill the nemesis as fast as possible and, the two times we were in the showdown, killed him within six actions.
Last game Helen ran into a destroyed room with only one hit left and Leo charged right after her into the blazing hell, to bring her down with his fireaxe.

Exactly right :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my thoughts on the Hellen matter:

Helen's extra attack is only triggered by the terror die movement icon. She attacks each survivor group within her line of sight. If she attacked each survivor individually it would change the combat defense mechanics.

Anyone else want to weigh in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolby Reddish
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the rules it says she attacks after moving, so unlike normal Nemesis, I had her move her full movement, then attack each survivor group in 2 as well. I agree with that idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Girard
United States
Morrisonville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah I guess she would have to move stoping at each group she passes through to attack and attack again at the end of her movement.

With no camera checks and no searches there is really not much to roll the terror die for in the end game. So my assumption there would be wrong.

Thanks for the follow up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.