Isaiah Mackler
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all!

I know my tendencies: to start chasing after rare cards. Or expensive cards. Or rare versions of cheap cards. I would do this with whatever variant I played, both EDH or Pauper. Basically, if I start buying singles, that is what would happen. I know it. So here is my imperfect plan which leaves out buying singles or boosters...ever. I'm not worried about being competitive at the shop. Just for fun with my wife/friends.

My plan is to buy common/uncommon sets of a given year- including the M** set and cycle (probably 4x). And have some fun deckbuilding from that. (Actually I'd like 1x common/uncommon from the last 5 years or so and that would probably be perfect. I'd then keep up with the game purchasing 1x of that year... This seems like it would be a challenge though to find/purchase-most online venders seem to sell 4x). I know this is not a new idea and it leaves out some of the most fun things of the game...But I would still prefer doing that to watching television or spending time on ebay--pursuing good deals on the "perfect card."

Now, my understanding is that there is some kind of link between a years base set and the cycle of that year. So M12 w/ Innistrad, M13 w/ Return to Ravnica, etc? Not sure if this is true or not. Does the main set complement the cycle, thematically or in game play?

What would you all recommend as some awesome blocks (maybe as far back as 5 or 6 years, to keep cost low), including that years main set? Or do the main sets get so repetitive that I wouldn't want more than one year? Would I have more fun only getting cycles w/o the accompanying M**, for example? I appreciate any ideas where to start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bender
United States
New River
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rebellion to Tyrants is Obedience to God
mbmbmbmbmb
Start with the newest set: Theros. It's a good set with a lot of interesting common and uncommon cards. Sets should be easy to obtain and relatively inexpensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Usually I would say, "Make sure to get the 4x sets as they are released," since finding older 4x C/U sets is more difficult. BUT, since Magic has sold so much product since Innistrad, it actually isn't super-tough to still find 4x C/U stuff going back to Innistrad. In fact, I just checked and saw Kid Icarus is selling a 4x C/U Innistrad set (696 cards) with the auction ending today and only going for $7.50 as I type this. So knowing that, you could probably easily obtain 4x sets from any set that tripped your fancy from Innistrad up to now.

Personally, I thought M13 was a more interesting set than M14, and the entire Return To Ravnica block played well with each of the different guilds providing a lot of different deckbuilding opportunities against each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had a lot of fun with M13 and with the RtR block (Return to Ravnica, Guildcrash, Dragon's Maze). Depending on how many deck you plan to build I would go with M13 or with the RtR block.

I like your idea of not buying Rares at all. I've been looking at the Theros commons and uncommons and it seems to me that there are less creative cards than in the RtR block; in Theros most of the interesting cards are rare, it seems. Or am I wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Seabie wrote:
I've been looking at the Theros commons and uncommons and it seems to me that there are less creative cards than in the RtR block; in Theros most of the interesting cards are rare, it seems. Or am I wrong?
That happens with a lot of sets, but I am inclined to agree: When I look at Theros rares I actually like the set. Then I look at the C/U level and I think, "Ugh... remind me to never buy packs of this stuff, ever."

We were spoiled by the wealth of mechanics in the RtR block though. It helped to keep even the C/U stuff fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
We were spoiled by the wealth of mechanics in the RtR block though. It helped to keep even the C/U stuff fresh.

Not only the guild mechanics kept things fresh; the charms, guildmages and the gold creatures from Dragon's Maze (most of them without the guild mechanic keywords, but interacting with them in a lovely way) made C/U sets very interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Occhipinti
United States
Decorah
Iowa
flag msg tools
Magic Fanboy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:

Not only the guild mechanics kept things fresh; the charms, guildmages and the gold creatures from Dragon's Maze (most of them without the guild mechanic keywords, but interacting with them in a lovely way) made C/U sets very interesting!

I've found that while the Theros cards don't tend to read all that interesting (Oh look, ANOTHER core set card where they tacked on Scry 1) the set actually plays really well. A lot of that is that there is so much insurance against mana screw/flood between scry and monstrosity that it hardly every happens. Another is that while the bestow cards themselves are fairly simple, the creatures you build up by combining them often aren't (hint: look up what trample and deathtouch do if you don't know).

In Theros block WOTC is doing a lot of new things (as opposed to RTR block), and the things are cool. We've never had anything like Heroic before. Theros is also a true three set block, which means they've got two more sets to evolve it. Even with the relatively simple cards, though, I don't think I've ever seen a limited environment that sparked so much controversy, which is, to me, a great sign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, my opinion is purely based on reading the cards, I haven't actually played with them. I like to read what you say about the set though, it might make me pull the trigger to get a C/U playset as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.