Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see if I have this right, would appreciate feedback either way.

The situation:

On a two hour turn, the Union (which is the first player) has a new reinforcement arrive at Taneytown for the first hour, and at Baltimore for the second hour. Each command has three full strength blocks.

Additionally, there are two blocks waiting to enter at Emmitsburg, from a previous turn.

My questions:

During reinforcement entry moves, two blocks enter on the Emmitsburg Road, two blocks enter on the Taneytown Road, and one block enters on the Baltimore Pike? Because the reinforcements received in Baltimore don't show up until the 2nd hour, the second block must wait for the next turn?

After the reinforcement entry moves, the first block that entered on each of the Taneytown and Emmitsburg Roads may be eligible for a march move? If eligible, the block will be entitled to a march move of 1 step?

In order to be eligible, the block must end its march move either in a position with a friendly block, or in a position adjacent to a friendly block?

If no position exists that either block can reach in 1 step, which is either occupied by or adjacent to a friendly a block, then the block cannot make the march move, regardless of when it entered?

To be specific, 1 of the blocks that already entered as a reinforcement may not march to a position at which the other block joins or abuts it?

However, a block that began its turn on the map may march into a position which then allows one of the newly entered blocks to make a march move?

Thanks for any corrections or indications that none are needed.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:

The situation:

On a two hour turn, the Union (which is the first player) has a new reinforcement arrive at Taneytown for the first hour, and at Baltimore for the second hour. Each command has three full strength blocks.

Additionally, there are two blocks waiting to enter at Emmitsburg, from a previous turn.

My questions:

1) During reinforcement entry moves, two blocks enter on the Emmitsburg Road, two blocks enter on the Taneytown Road, and one block enters on the Baltimore Pike? Because the reinforcements received in Baltimore don't show up until the 2nd hour, the second block must wait for the next turn?

2) After the reinforcement entry moves, the first block that entered on each of the Taneytown and Emmitsburg Roads may be eligible for a march move? If eligible, the block will be entitled to a march move of 1 step?

3) In order to be eligible, the block must end its march move either in a position with a friendly block, or in a position adjacent to a friendly block?

4) If no position exists that either block can reach in 1 step, which is either occupied by or adjacent to a friendly a block, then the block cannot make the march move, regardless of when it entered?

5) To be specific, 1 of the blocks that already entered as a reinforcement may not march to a position at which the other block joins or abuts it?

6) However, a block that began its turn on the map may march into a position which then allows one of the newly entered blocks to make a march move?

Chris
I've numbered these for reference.

1) Correct. Note that blocks entering via on-road movement in the same hour can't overlap paths.

2a) Yes, eligible.
2b) No, the first hour of march is always 2 steps, no matter which hour of the turn it is. So these blocks are eligible for a 2-step move.

3) No. The first 2 steps of march movement are without such restriction. Only 3+ step moves (cavalry being the notable exception for a lot of these answers) have such a restriction.

4) N/A. No block is ever restricted to a 1-step march, and any block which can march gets 2 steps of march without adjacency restriction.

5) N/A.

6) Yes. Also, if in a 3-plus hour turn, you could have a block that entered on that turn make a two-step march to reach a position that allows another newly-entered block to make a three-step march. I've illustrated such a scenario in my movement tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Avtges
United States
Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
CONCEALED -3
badge
It's not easy being green.
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:

The situation:

My questions:

During reinforcement entry moves, two blocks enter on the Emmitsburg Road, two blocks enter on the Taneytown Road, and one block enters on the Baltimore Pike? Because the reinforcements received in Baltimore don't show up until the 2nd hour, the second block must wait for the next turn?

Correct.

fatgreta wrote:
After the reinforcement entry moves, the first block that entered on each of the Taneytown and Emmitsburg Roads may be eligible for a march move? If eligible, the block will be entitled to a march move of 1 step?

They may march move but they can move two steps. It is as if that block was there at the beginning of a one hour turn. Rule 15 says "its distance limits are based not on the total turn duration but on the number of hours left after its turn of entry." In this case, that is one hour, which means a two step march.

fatgreta wrote:
In order to be eligible, the block must end its march move either in a position with a friendly block, or in a position adjacent to a friendly block?

This is correct, but doesn't really apply to your situation anymore. Let's imagine the same example, but it's a three hour turn instead. Then, those two blocks which came on as reinforcements in the first hour may march two steps, or three steps if they end in an eligible position. This is exactly what the example in rule 15 says.

fatgreta wrote:
If no position exists that either block can reach in 1 step, which is either occupied by or adjacent to a friendly a block, then the block cannot make the march move, regardless of when it entered?

To be specific, 1 of the blocks that already entered as a reinforcement may not march to a position at which the other block joins or abuts it?

No, if there is time left beyond when it entered, it can always move at least two steps.

fatgreta wrote:
However, a block that began its turn on the map may march into a position which then allows one of the newly entered blocks to make a march move?

This is true...the sequence of march orders can be significant in allowing long marches during multi-hour turns.

fatgreta wrote:

Your welcome! I think I got everything correct, but would be interested to know if I'm wrong about anything.

edit:ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still confused on this. Especially your statement that a unit will always have 2 steps available as long as there is some time still left.

EX1: 4hr Turn. 1st player has a reinforcement arrive on Turn 1. 3 hrs remain.

Q1: Does the unit have;
A1: 6 steps available (2 steps x 3hrs remaining)
A2: 3 steps available (1 step x 3hrs remaining)

EX2: 4 hr Turn. 1st player has reinforcements arrive on Turn 3. 1hr remains.

Q2: Does the unit have;
A1: 2 steps available (2 steps x 1hr remaining)
A2: 1 step available (1 step x 1hr remaining)

EX3: 4hr Turn. 1st player has a reinforcement arrive on Turn 1. 3 hrs remain. But can possibly end adjacent/in a friendly position.

Q3: Does the unit have;
A1: 7 steps available (2 steps x 3hrs remaining + 1 step movement bonus)
A2: 4 steps available (1 step x 3hrs available + 1 movement bonus)
A3: 9 steps available (2 steps x 3hrs remaining + 3 step movement bonus)
A4: 6 steps available (1 step x 3 hrs available + 3 step movement bonus)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1st player has 2 steps for first hour of March movement plus 1 step for each remaining hour of March movement. 2nd player has 2 steps per hour.

So, Q1: 4. 2 + 1 + 1.
Q2: 2.
Q3: exactly the same as Q1. The adjacency question is a separate matter, never adds additional steps, and applies to any March move that is longer that the block could do in a standard one-hour move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, So...

4 hr turn.

Turn 1: Block performs reinforcement movement
Turn 2: 2 step move
Turn 3: 1 step
Turn 4: 1 step

4 steps total

Now for a 3 hr turn

Turn 1: Block performs reinforcement movement
Turn 2: 2 step move
Turn 3: 1 step

3 steps total

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For first player, yes. (But note that it's one March move of 4 or 3 steps, not multiple separate March moves)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, get it. But then please explain the example in the rules para 15/pg12

"If the first players block enters in the first hour of a three hour turn, then the blocks march distance limit is as if the turn was two hours long; 2 steps..."

In the example above, you said a block reinforcing on turn 1 of a 3hr turn would get 3 steps.

Can you see why this is confusing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GordoMG wrote:
OK, get it. But then please explain the example in the rules para 15/pg12

"If the first players block enters in the first hour of a three hour turn, then the blocks march distance limit is as if the turn was two hours long; 2 steps..."

In the example above, you said a block reinforcing on turn 1 of a 3hr turn would get 3 steps.

Can you see why this is confusing...
Quote the whole thing in full:
Quote:
the block’s march distance limit is as if the turn was two hours long: 2 steps, or, if it can meet qualifications for a longer march move, 3 steps.
3 steps, but the adjacency restriction may prevent you from being able to use all 3 steps (2 steps is always made without adjacency restriction, as per the earlier answers in this thread).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it's only 3 steps if the adjacency qualification can be met?

EX: 3 hr turn, won't end adjacent
Turn 1: Reinforcement move
Turn 2: 2 steps
Turn 3: 0 steps (won't end adjacent)

Ex 3 hr turn, will end adjacent
Turn 1: Reinforcement move
Turn 2: 2 steps
Turn 3: 1 step (ends adjacent)

Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you prefer to phrase it that way, sure (again with the caveat that each case is a single march move, not multiple march moves; also, you may want to substitute "hour" for "turn" within each turn).

Quote:
You get two steps of movement for March. You can get more steps (on that one single March move) if you end in an allowable position.
vs
Quote:
You get X steps of movement for March, but you can only use more than 2 if you end in an allowable position.
They say the same thing. The first is the style the rulebook uses, but I think it makes for a weird case of assigning steps before a move based on how the move will eventually end, and I don't like the cause-and-effect jumble. So I explain it with the second version -- you have however many steps, but your use of them is restricted beyond the (fixed) base allowance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon G
United States
Bossier City
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I get it..whew. Thanks for your patience.

I re-read your tutorial and this phrase is what made the fog lift

"blocks that can move get 2 steps of March movement for the first hour of movement remaining and 1 step per additional hour of movement remaining. The first two steps can be used freely, but if additional steps are used, those blocks must end their movement with or adjacent to another friendly block."

Thanks

And to be peeeeerfectly clear. If it's the 2d player it would be..

"blocks that can move get 2 steps of March movement for the first hour of movement remaining and 2 steps per additional hour of movement remaining. The first two steps can be used freely, but if additional steps are used, those blocks must end their movement with or adjacent to another friendly block."

Correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rochelle
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
✔️✔️❌✔️➖
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

(The one "except"; just to throw it in: the numbers are different for cavalry using mounted movement, but the principle is the same)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.