Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Played Legacy at Essen and quite liked it, especially how theme and mechanics intermesh to build the story of a clan, in a way. What puzzled me massively though is why basically two packs of cards and five medium-sized boards come in a box (almost) large enough to hold Eclipse and MoM at the same time. Are ten to fifteen expansions already in the planning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
At least

Indeed, the box is quite big. Hopefully we can fill it up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Really? Massive box? That's a big turn off for me. Games for me compete for 3 resources: money, time, and space. Massive boxes are bad, especially when they're mostly empty.

I'll wait to play it before making any purchasing decisions. It'll have to knock my socks off to make it worth taking up space for multiple games on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
llopis wrote:
Really? Massive box? That's a big turn off for me. Games for me compete for 3 resources: money, time, and space. Massive boxes are bad, especially when they're mostly empty.

I'll wait to play it before making any purchasing decisions. It'll have to knock my socks off to make it worth taking up space for multiple games on the shelf.

The poster above exaggerated greatly. The box is somewhat big for the game, but not overly so. It can certainly not house Eclipse and Mansions of Madness. That's just silly.

It is simply a Ticket to Ride shaped box (exactly that!), and since there are tons of games using such a box, it really fits nicely in one's gaming collection. I love the size - nothing wrong with it. I can easily slot it in with my other square boxes. It will not take up the space of multiple games on your shelf. Not on mine, anyway, as I place games on their end like this: |
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
At least

Can we keep fingers crossed for an expansion, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
bradandmary wrote:
Mr Mjeh wrote:
At least

I've been seriously considering it, yes. But then, I'm not the publisher... It would ultimately be up to him. There are so many fun possibilities though, that I'd think yes, there will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad McKenzie
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sweet. I don't even own the base game yet (am hoping its on its way from Essen), but you can sign me up for a copy of the expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
Noel Llopis, the box is "standard square" size. But yes, it's full of space, and the game could have fit in a smaller box.
Mr Mjeh, we NEED a lot of expansions to fill this box. devil

As a side note, Mjeh, you may find interesting to know that since I bought the french version a month ago, my wife wants to play it at least twice every day, and our two gaming friends ( a girl who likes to play cards, party games and Seasons, and her boyfriend, who is more interested in ameritrash dungeon crawling games and some thematic medium weight euros) both are unable to play it without asking for a re-match, and then another, and then another...
It's already the most played game in my collection (except Sentinels of the Multiverse but I play it solo), and it dethroned Last Will as the go-to game for my wife... And after 50+ plays I still enjoy it.
I call this a success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Llopis
Spain
flag msg tools
badge
Good to hear it's a standard TTR size box. Maybe bigger than it needs to be, but not outrageous or unusually shaped. Phew!
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSoundOfTrees wrote:
As a side note, Mjeh, you may find interesting to know that since I bought the french version a month ago, my wife wants to play it at least twice every day, and our two gaming friends ( a girl who likes to play cards, party games and Seasons, and her boyfriend, who is more interested in ameritrash dungeon crawling games and some thematic medium weight euros) both are unable to play it without asking for a re-match, and then another, and then another...
It's already the most played game in my collection (except Sentinels of the Multiverse but I play it solo), and it dethroned Last Will as the go-to game for my wife... And after 50+ plays I still enjoy it.
I call this a success.

I find this very interesting! Thanks for letting me know

I myself still enjoy every single play of the game, and even after demoing it for 4 days straight I'm considering playing a solo game while my daughter sleeps to take another look at some aspects I'm looking to expand. It is extremely gratifying to hear that other people are having the same experience. And 50 plays, wow! That is a lot
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heiko Günther
Germany
Saarbrücken
Saarland
flag msg tools
designer
Coming soon: Peak Oil Spillover!
badge
I spent 100 GG so you can read this.
Mr Mjeh wrote:
llopis wrote:

The poster above exaggerated greatly. The box is somewhat big for the game, but not overly so. It can certainly not house Eclipse and Mansions of Madness. That's just silly.
Admittedly, I exaggerated a bit; you could not fit both games in there at the same time, unless you shreddered all components first.

Still, it's big enough to fit the game about ten times. I would probably have bought it on the spot if the box would have been a quarter of its actual size. Boxes that big and empty always make me feel cheated in a way but I have to admit that this is probably just a very personal feeling. Quite regularly I rehouse games to smaller boxes or cut their actual boxes down massively, but I find it still makes a game feel cheap in a way if the box holds so much irrelevant air.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus E.-L.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will have to wait for the German version of Legacy, but wouldn't it be cool if it already contained an expansion devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maaike Fest
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
bradandmary wrote:
Mr Mjeh wrote:
At least

I've been seriously considering it, yes. But then, I'm not the publisher... It would ultimately be up to him. There are so many fun possibilities though, that I'd think yes, there will be.

Yes, give us expansions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Mjeh wrote:
bradandmary wrote:
Mr Mjeh wrote:
At least

What would be cool for an expansion could be to be able to arrange marriages among players. But Im kinda boggled how this can be implemented without the game becoming a visual mess. But it would be really nifty if you manage pull it off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Vjaas wrote:
Mr Mjeh wrote:
bradandmary wrote:
Mr Mjeh wrote:
At least

What would be cool for an expansion could be to be able to arrange marriages among players. But Im kinda boggled how this can be implemented without the game becoming a visual mess. But it would be really nifty if you manage pull it off.

Already working on it. It was part of my original design, but was cut pretty early on. I have some ideas as to how this might be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tarmo Rajamets
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The size/contents rate of the box was a big surprise indeed. And not a pleasant one, either, because the space I have for games is very limited. The only time I've had experience like this was with LOTR Card Game (and that one has tons of expansions). But at the same time, Legacy needs SO MUCH table space! A lot of cards in the box, they are just small.
Arrived today from Essen and played a two-player game by myself to learn the rules. The impression was very good.
A little something that I would definitely expect from an expansion would be more titles and contributions - the fact that you always see all of them on board limits the variability.
All in all, hoping to play it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
evidevik wrote:

A little something that I would definitely expect from an expansion would be more titles and contributions - the fact that you always see all of them on board limits the variability.

Definitely something I'm looking at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Lalyman
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
As we are now debating expansions : my wife wants more patron cards ! So much, in fact, that she is trying to create her own - the first game she wants to create her own content for.
I'd like to be able to marry my spare children to my opponent's. Maybe by giving an unmarried girl a big dowry, in the hope my opponents will spend an action to marry her for the money ?
Also, what about the clergy ? Maybe church titles for our celibate children ?
I was also contemplating the idea of "bad" child cards : an "ugly" child who is harder to marry, for instance. A black sheep. A girl who would have a child without being married - what a scandal !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.J.E. Hendriks
Netherlands
Arnhem
Gelderland
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
TheSoundOfTrees wrote:
As we are now debating expansions : my wife wants more patron cards ! So much, in fact, that she is trying to create her own - the first game she wants to create her own content for.
I'd like to be able to marry my spare children to my opponent's. Maybe by giving an unmarried girl a big dowry, in the hope my opponents will spend an action to marry her for the money ?
Also, what about the clergy ? Maybe church titles for our celibate children ?
I was also contemplating the idea of "bad" child cards : an "ugly" child who is harder to marry, for instance. A black sheep. A girl who would have a child without being married - what a scandal !

All great ideas!

Patrons cards? Definitely. This was the very first idea for the expansion. Six is just too few
Marrying into your opponents' families is definitely on my list.
Clergy as a sixth 'occupation' - on my list
Church titles for celibate children sounds pretty cool. An option that limits options. I like it!
Bad child cards also sounds good. A 'wayward' or 'headstrong' boy or girl, etc. (think The Taming of the Shrew )

I will make a new topic for this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loving the ideas here. More patron and goal / mission cards would be great indeed. The celibate thingy, smart plan. I'm sure there are enough options to get the box filled ;-) I'll buy it all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Lampinen
Finland
Espoo
none
flag msg tools
(and a hermit)
badge
Fan of FUN games!
mbmbmb
Standard size is nice but TTR isn't the only standard, there's also the "Carcassone"-size.
Why not use that when your game doesn't require bigger one? Not everyone has unlimited room for boardgames, these things matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.