Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sword Beach: Minimalist 4 guys take the beach!

So we’re at it again—this time it’s oldie but goodie Sword Beach with random sides has me defending the beach for the first game. I am feeling very (over)confident and enjoy the prospect of increasing my winning streak. Yep, a perfect recipe for my comeuppance--and reversion to the mean is a bitch. And it’s funny, I can remember all of his cards, but I’m seriously blanking on mine. Go figure. But it’s a great story worthy of song as this is probably close to the minimalist Allied play.

4-Guy Surgical Strike
He opens with Recon in Force and brings up his 3 armor scoring 4 hits. He follows with (‘before I don’t have any armor left’) Armor Assault, scoring several more hits. Behind Enemy Lines finishes off my Right Bunker. Next, it's a Recon Right with the tank for more hits. My Finest Hour? Ugliness with only 4 rolls, but at least I got my tank out. Then, and it seems like he always gets this (infuriating) card, he Medics (well, Mechanics) his Right tank, recovers 2 figures and continues its rampaging. I have some Left cards and I’m desperate enough so I try to bring the fight to the beach but the shots just bounce of the teflon Sherman as that damned tank does wheelies on the beach. He responds with a beautiful Firefight, which kills guys on both flanks. Then another Recon Right as that indestructible tank just keeps advancing, firing, and overrunning my infantry. Finally, it’s a Direct from Headquarters as the Sherman simply takes the empty Lion-sur-Mer (and just where is my plane with Ground Interdiction!!) for the crushing 5-1 win with only 15 Orders--yes, just 15 orders on 8 cards. When I lose, I like to lose BIG! BRING IT!

Flip Side
I did manage a pretty ugly 5-3 win as the Americans with a nice Counter-Attacked Move Out, Infantry Assault, Counter-Attacked Center Assault to break open the center, but it paled in comparison to that beautiful surgical strike.

The Planes
So we didn’t really use our planes very effectively as only 1 saw action. I was waiting for a Rescue mission that never happened as the Germans and didn’t see the nice Ground Interdiction to freeze his tank from taking the metal-city (Do’h). His German plane strafed some guys in the water, but then it bugged out fearing 3 Air Check shots. Neither of us even brought our planes in as the Americans as we both just didn’t have the cards to sustain it and/or the opportunities just weren’t there. However, I think there were some missed opportunities here, at least from my side. And after some 16 games with the Air Pack, it is still awesome and we will be using them as appropriate.

Conclusion
I doubt there could be a much better minimalist surgical strike by the Americans. Wow, just 4 guys. What a beautiful game—thanks for that lesson. And win or lose, Memoir always has me thinking about the what-ifs and always leaves me wanting to come back for more. I can’t see ever tiring of this.

Note: Edits to correct a couple of things after conferring with the victor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report. Thanks!

It seems however you made one (in this play maybe crucial) mistake. A unit (also armored units) can not move more than 2 hexes on the beach. Based on your drawing I would say, all three tanks moved 3 hexes, which is not allowed... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest changing 'American(s)' to 'British' in your write up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jk_W wrote:
Great session report. Thanks!

It seems however you made one (in this play maybe crucial) mistake. A unit (also armored units) can not move more than 2 hexes on the beach. Based on your drawing I would say, all three tanks moved 3 hexes, which is not allowed... whistle
Thanks. And we definitely did play the 2-hex beach movement correct--drawing is a just a composite of overall battle from my memory at the time. Yes, it just makes his game all the more remarkable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
I would suggest changing 'American(s)' to 'British' in your write up.
Yep, thanks. Somehow I thought this was another American beach but you are right, British it is. Which means there's probably plenty of other things wrong too--like Sherman=something else. That's what I get for not writing up a historical background section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Stay wut her Johnny
badge
Stay wut her Johnny
mbmbmb
dave65tdh wrote:
Which means there's probably plenty of other things wrong too--like Sherman=something else. That's what I get for not writing up a historical background section.

Naw, Brits, Canadians, and Americans all used Shermans in Normandy, especially the duplex-drive Shermans at D-Day, so you're off the hook there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.