Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zeus in Olympia question: "in each Age" or "after building the second stage"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ L
Canada
flag msg tools
My game-friends and I have nearly abandoned 7 Wonders after an argument a few weeks ago. Here's the conundrum:

The A-side ability/power of the Statue of Zeus in Olympia is that "the player can, once per Age, build a structure for free"

It is understood that each of the other powers require building the second stage of the wonder for those powers to operate, however, one of my friends, playing as Olympia, argued that the phrasing of "... once per Age... " meant that she could use this power WITHOUT building the second stage of her wonder. Her argument was that the phrasing guarantees being able to build something for free in the First Age, whether you've obtained the second stage of your wonder or not.

I was the only one out of five to object to this, and say that all abilities require building the second stage of a wonder, and that the phrasing indicates that you can build a structure in the First Age if (and only if) you manage to build the second stage of the Statue of Zeus during the first age.

I've emailed Repos about this, and got no answer. Googling and searching the BGG forums has left me with no answers. What say you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keng Leong Yeo
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
aka Uncle
badge
小富靠勤,中富靠智,大富靠德。
mbmbmbmbmb
You are definitely correct. If the player doesn't build the stage of the wonder, he/she will obviously not get its benefit. Otherwise, why include it as a specific stage in the wonder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Spessartine wrote:

I've emailed Repos about this, and got no answer. Googling and searching the BGG forums has left me with no answers. What say you?

I say I'm shocked that anyone would even consider that they should get something for nothing and expect anyone to agree with them.

Page 3 English Rulebook:
Quote:

Wonder Boards
Each board represents the Wonder the player can build and the resource
it produces from the start of the game (shown on the upper left of the
board). These boards are double-sided and offer two different versions
of the Wonder. Each Wonder is composed of two, three or four stages,
represented on the board. Each stage has a construction cost and gives
a bonus when finished.

A wonder guarantees nothing other than the benefit in the upper left corner (base wonders all have a free resource) it comes with. If your civilization is too lazy to further itself or hasn't properly furthered itself there are no free handouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with you.

The phrasing "once per Age" is only there to define how often the player gets the benefit AFTER they have achieved the required level i.e. second level Wonder.

If they achieve the second level in the first age then they will get the benefit in every age. If they don't get it until the third age then they only get it for that age.

Your interpretation fits the rules and the Wonder card as is. Theirs requires the breaking of another rule. Most games (including 7 Wonders) are pretty good these days at putting EXCEPTION in bold letters into the rules when something else breaks a rule.

Incidentally Olympia is quite winnable with this standard ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge
Switzerland
Lausanne
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll also confirm the perfectly obvious: you have to have built the 2nd stage in order to use it. Don't cut on playing 7 Wonders; just remove your "friend" from your group. Guess he prefers winning over playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with everyone, but would put it even more succinctly:

"You can't use an ability you don't have."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know which is more disturbing - that someone could actually "interpret" that meaning or that a whole table agreed with her...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Blaiberg
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
I don't know which is more disturbing - that someone could actually "interpret" that meaning or that a whole table agreed with her...

The latter, definitely the latter....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The same argument could be applied to Babylon-B's second stage - but the rulebook's clarification for Babylon-B (that you can use your 6th card of an Age to build the second stage and then play the 7th card) only makes sense if you assume you need to build the second stage in order to play the extra card.

I am curious how she expected to use the construction card as a marker before having established which card it is by constructing it - again, it only makes sense if you need to build the second stage in order to get the effect...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
allstar64 wrote:

I say I'm shocked that anyone would even consider that they should get something for nothing and expect anyone to agree with them.

I see a lot of this. Not so much in playing games, but still....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig the fallen
United States
flag msg tools
Keen to the scent -- the hunt is my muse. A means to an end, this path that I choose
badge
Wake the White Wolf! Remembrance At Last (by Miracle of Sound)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeoster wrote:
You are definitely correct. If the player doesn't build the stage of the wonder, he/she will obviously not get its benefit. Otherwise, why include it as a specific stage in the wonder?

This is what is most confusing to me. What do they think happens when you build it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
contiguity wrote:
Yeoster wrote:

This is what is most confusing to me. What do they think happens when you build it?

That's easy - you gain access to build your third stage, and have another stage built for the Arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.