Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just hosted this event at my house in the north of England. I think it was a strong success, though we did not quite complete the quota of 5 games each.
The players numbered 8. They included several well-known UK players of CC (notably John McClintock - who has posted many session reports on his blog - and Steve Bishop), and all players, even the least experienced (John Hedges with around 18 games before the tournament), were hardened. All but two of the players had taken part in the Combat Commander tournaments held at the UK Games Expo in 2010 and 2011. This meant no rules fumbling and a very high standard of play all round. It was great to have a 17 year old (my son) and a 14 year old (Jack Bishop) playing and scaring the hell out of their opponents. The number of close matches was very high, and the final tally sheet does not tell the full story by half! That (he would say that wouldn't he!) certainly applies to me. I won 2 out of 5 games, but of the three losses two were absolutely nail-bitingly narrow contests. Similarly John Hedges' final tally does not indicate his actual fine performance.
Since we did not all finish 5 games my original scoring system could not really work, since it depended heavily on comparing your performance across 4 games against 3 other players taking the same side in the same scenario. So here is the tally of games won/lost and my adjudication of the winners based on the numbers and a touch of personal fiat as organiser and host (no appeals).

John McClintock won 4 out of 5 games.
Steve Bishop won 3 out of 4 games.
Lawrence Smith won 3 out of 4 games.
Jack Bishop won 2 out of 5 games.
Paul Laverack won 2 out of 5 games.
Mike Smith won 2 out of 5 games.
John Hedges won 1 out of 5 games.
Jim F won 1 out of 3 games.

So I declare John McClintock the clear winner, and Steve and Lawrence joint runners up.
Thanks all for coming and making it such a thrilling event.
More comment, some photos, and some thoughts for a possible tournament next year, to follow. Meanwhile, other participants please comment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim F
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Airfix Rules anyone?
badge
Ashwin in front of Tiger 131
mbmbmbmbmb

Great weekend Mike, a big thank you for organising it. Our game of 'Bonfire of the NKVD' was particularly memorable. Despite a well below par performance from me, it was really enjoyable occasion and good to meet up with the old sweats from the CC competition. John had a storming game against me and was a worthy overall winner. Some more practice for me before the next one I thinkblush

Just a shame Mr B had to go back home to watch Newcastle lose (bet you wished you stayed on now) instead of finishing our game. Could have done with that extra win
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon thornton
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jealous, Jealous, Jealous. Next time Ill make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anybody else out there in the UK running a CC tournament? If so we should talk turkey about trying to make a national event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The choice of scenarios seemed partly wise and partly unwise:

Scenario 3 Bonfire of the NKVD - not necessarily a quick scenario with a careful German approach needed down the long axis, but not a long one either. At the start I was the only one insisting it favoured the Russians, but I did seem to make some people waver in their opinion. Wise choice.

Scenario 10 Commando School - a perennial favourite. I think it favours the Germans a little, but not everyone agreed. Always a good sign. Quick and deadly. Wise choice.

Scenario 9 Rush to Contact - quite wild depending on what happens during turn 1, when with the right move cards the Yanks could make great progress. Likely to produce some exciting situations. Wise choice.

Scenario 17 Little Stalingrad - exciting game with a swirling city fight enhanced by great special rules. Felt like it favoured the Canadians. Maybe a wise choice for excitement but not necessarily balance.

Scenario 101 Rubble Rousers - poor choice on my part. Too long and intensive. Even the setup is slow. One game was completed and then we changed it. It would make a suitably epic final for a knockout tournament.

Scenario 102 Night Shift - chosen by someone else to replace 101 while I was deep in a game. Yup, they exercised all the careful judgement of just flipping the 101 scenario card! Its very different and I liked that. I thought my game of it was great, with subtle and flexible play needed by both sides. It did not go down so well with all. I think a wise choice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hedges
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was a super day.

My one win really didn't feel deserved. My defeat would have been inevitable, but a time triggers came thick and fast and I took it by a large margin in the end (26 VPs).

Of my four losses, one hung on a melee fight (loser would surrender) in which I had a huge advantage. The imitative changed hands half a dozen times over combat rolls and in the end I lost! If I wasn't lazy I'd calculate the odds on that one and feel worse

My next loss was by ONE POINT!

My next loss (against Mike) was a win for me until we flipped the secret objective, which gave Mike a 2 point win. I really should have rerolled that SD check and pushed on!

My final loss was brought about by my opponent misreading a card and illegally placing a pillbox right in the front line with a 2-leader, HMG, LMG kill stack in it. Not much I could do there. Fun nonetheless.

Apart from the last game with the 'imaginary' pillbox, each of the games I played was tense, action-packed, and could have gone either way. It really was a top day and it's really cemented CC as one of my favourite games.

Again, well done Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did I say no rules fumbling. Sorry John! At least not my fumble. Glad you enjoyed it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hedges
United Kingdom
Penrith
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all good Mike. At the very least it's a good CC story I can recount by the fireside to my future grandchildren on those long winter evenings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What did you do in the war, Granddaddy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The scoring system originally envisaged would have involved sorting out tied numbers of won games (pretty likely given only 5 scenarios to play) by accumulated positive/negative victory points (including +/- 25 for a game decided by surrender or elimination). I agonised over this beforehand because it is so variable by victory chits and not necessarily any good guide to actual performance. I could not think of any other way of doing it though. I guess it means that you need to avoid it altogether and have some form of knockout tournament instead. Those knocked out early could still play each other for place order, and play other non-tournament games. Any thoughts on good structures for a CC tournament?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Mantuanwar wrote:
The scoring system originally envisaged would have involved sorting out tied numbers of won games (pretty likely given only 5 scenarios to play) by accumulated positive/negative victory points (including +/- 25 for a game decided by surrender or elimination). I agonised over this beforehand because it is so variable by victory chits and not necessarily any good guide to actual performance.

I agree that using final scores from each game seems an iffy way to break ties in the tournament. E.g. a scenario with a very high-value objective may have huge point swings just from capturing/recapturing the objective, even though the players played comparably well.

Quote:
I could not think of any other way of doing it though.

I suggest doing what some Go (& Chess & other?) tournaments do: use SOS (sum of opponents' scores) as tiebreaker.

E.g. if Alf and Bert each won 4 of their 5 games, so they're tied for winning the tournament, then look to see how many games their opponents won and add those up. E.g. if Alf's 5 opponents in sum won 8 games and Bert's 5 opponents in sum won 10 games, then Bert wins the tournament, based on the reasoning that Bert seemed to play against somewhat stronger opponents.

(Edited to correct mistake mixing up Alf & Bert...)

If that doesn't break the tie, then there are additional tiebreakers, e.g. SODOS (Sum of defeated opponents' scores).

Here's some more ideas:
http://senseis.xmp.net/?TieBreaker
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks very much for that Russ. Interesting ideas! Established tournament structures are all Dutch to me. Or is that "Swiss"! I need to do some research.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lind
United States
North Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite response to anyone's question about how something happened.
badge
Really, Mom, I was just sittin' here mindin' my own business!
mbmbmbmbmb
CC is played in tournaments here in the US at a number of conventions. I can think of WBC and PREZCON for sure and I imagine others. The GMs at those conventions would likely offer up their ideas on scoring, etc., I suspect.

Glad to see CC is alive and well across the pond and also glad to hear some younger folks are participating. The mix of players here in the US in the tournaments I mentioned tend to be 30's and up with quite a number of senior players.

Thanks for the report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would that it were only a pond. We could get to your multitude of tempting events very easily then. Bet the NSA would know I was coming before I really did! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.