Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wanting to do a map with a castle on a hill, but am figuring the defending army in the castle would have a decided advantage due to height. How many fewer points do you all think that elevated army should be, to compensate? I expect the hill to be rather difficult to climb, but may involve some sort of ramp/bridge/gate thingy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacker should have double the defenders in points. This is greatly affected by whether or not attackers have flying units. If not, having the attackers climb a hill AND assault a castle is really difficult, especially if the defender has ranged units on the walls.

There is a lot to consider in making sure the scenario is balanced.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought the rule where you get two extra attack dice if you're *much* higher than the defender is really stupid and makes no sense. You might want to house-rule that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing you can do is give the attacker a second army with a second set of order markers, instead of just a bigger army. So an army of Romans and an army of Elves, laying siege to a castle defended by Orcs. The idea is the extra set of order markers would be a significant boon for the attackers, and it might speed the game up some, too. Otherwise it can drag.

Also as the nerman8r suggested, you may want an easy house rule instead of the goofy rule for extreme height. If you don't want a house rule, remember it's calculated from the *height* of the lower figure to the base of the higher figure. Level 1 + height 5 = 6; extreme height = 10 levels higher than *that*, or 16.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If the attackers have flying, they don't need to be a full twice the defender I think. Depends on army size and a lot of other factors though....like what each side's range is like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Spencer
United States
Marquette
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.