Dave J McWeasely
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Let me go on record with a prediction before I see the rules:
(I'm know it'll be wrong, but what the hay)

Galadriel character card:
When Galadriel is in play, elven Elites have leadership 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, you had a very low chance of getting it right!

But you didn't.

I'm not sure if I can talk about it yet, but perhaps at some point FF will be kind enough to post rules, or some nice European person can post something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
SevenSpirits wrote:
I'm not sure if I can talk about it yet, but perhaps at some point FF will be kind enough to post rules, or some nice European person can post something.

So, I will try to be a nice European (I am quite amased to see that this game arrived in shops here before in the US) : when Galadriel is in play, she brings an action dice (if Gandalf the White is not already in play) and the FP player can discard an Elven Ring to draw a new Hunt Tile. Moreover, Elven Units can be mustered in Lorien even if under siege. Galadriel has a level 0 (she can not go outside Lorien) but is considered as a level 3 companion for the purposes of combat cards. Lastly, a new Event card is provided : when Galadriel is in play, we can roll 3 dice and the FP player get back a number of played elven rings equal to the result of 4+.

Sorry for my bad English...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the conditions for bringing Galadriel into play?

If Lorien is under siege, can you muster Elven units using galadriel even if the elves are not at war?

Are there any combat card effects specially using Galadriel?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
What are the conditions for bringing Galadriel into play?

Mordor is at war OR the Elven nation is at war. (do we say "at" war ??)

Quote:
If Lorien is under siege, can you muster Elven units using galadriel even if the elves are not at war?

I don' t remember. But if Lorien is under Siege, the elves must be closed to be at war (I got my answer).
The thing is also that if the Balrog is brought into play, the elven, drawf and north nations get one step to war (so if the Balrog is in play ad Lorien is under siege, the elven are at war).

Quote:

Argh, can't remember either but I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do indeed say 'at' war.

Putting Lorien under siege is just one step down the political track (Sauron attacks Lorien, lorien retreats to siege). So the Balrog doesn't quite get them fully to war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:
We do indeed say 'at' war.

Thank you

Quote:
Putting Lorien under siege is just one step down the political track (Sauron attacks Lorien, lorien retreats to siege). So the Balrog doesn't quite get them fully to war.

I would say that putting Lorien under siege is two step down the political track since (1) an elven army is attaqued (even if it retreats to siege) and (2) an ennemy army goes into an elven territory. Thus it remains only one step.
I hope I will remember to read again Galadriel's card tonight and I will precise her abilities tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
Does spending a ring to discard an Eye remove it forever (like Challenge of the King) or merely puts it in the Mordor pool?

One seems to be very situational, where the other may be beneficial.

I don't see why the FP would ever not recruit Galadriel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowman wrote:
Does spending a ring to discard an Eye remove it forever (like Challenge of the King) or merely puts it in the Mordor pool?

Removed forever.

Quote:
I don't see why the FP would ever not recruit Galadriel.

Maybe because the shadow player doesnt let them, by not pushing sauron to war for a long time. You want galadriel. Its an added drawback of the shadow sending the sauron naiton to war. (And thus an added drawback of getting the witch king)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VHache wrote:
I would say that putting Lorien under siege is two step down the political track since (1) an elven army is attaqued (even if it retreats to siege) and (2) an ennemy army goes into an elven territory. Thus it remains only one step.
I hope I will remember to read again Galadriel's card tonight and I will precise her abilities tomorrow.

Entering elven territory doesnt push them down a step.

The two things that ush the mdown are:

Attacking them.

CONQUERING a settlement/city/stronghold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Galadriel is super sexy - the whole promote on a muster dice is just making me tingly all over.

Lorien isn't vulnerable to an intial attack from don guldur any more. Amusingly I guess it only gets attacked once the elf muster bag has run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
Alexfrog wrote:
Entering elven territory doesnt push them down a step.
The two things that ush the mdown are:
Attacking them.
CONQUERING a settlement/city/stronghold.

Arghh... Another old error.

Here follows a (bad) translation of characters and factions cards involved in the main game expansion, I hope it makes sense :

Lady Galadriel Level : 0, Leadership 2
If Sauron or the Elven Nation are at war and Gandalf the Grey is not into play, play a Muster die and put Lady Galadriel in Lorien.

Lady of Light
When a Eye Hunt Tile is draw, play an elven ring to cancel it draw antoher Hunt Tile. Remove definitely the Eye from game.

Bravery of Elven Nation
You can muster units into Lorien even if under siege.

Lady Galadriel is considered as a level 3 companion for the purposes of combat cards. When Gandalf the White is on the board, Lady Galadriel does not bring another action die.

Smeagol (different from Gollum for game purposes) Level : X, Leadership 0
Smeagol enters the fellowship as soon as a Smeagol Hunt Tile is drawn. Smeagol is always the Guide. His level is the same as the highest level remaining in the fellowship.

As the Fellowhip guide
- Use a Character die to declare the fellowship
- If a Smeagol Hunt Tile is drawn, donn't had corruption. Smeagol Hunt Tile is put back in the Hunt Pool.
- Discard Smeagol if he is separated from the fellowship or if it is declared in a FP City or Stronghold.
- If Smeagol is discarded, the card "We must get it" is immediately into play.

We must get it (Shadow player card)
If Gollum is the guide, discard this card after a Hunt Tile has been drawn to draw another one. Play the effects of the second one and put back the first one in the Pool.

The Witch-King, version 2 (WKv2) Level : inf, Leadership 2
If the Fellowship is not in a FP Stronghold, and if the "first version" of the Witchking is not into play, play a muster die to play the WKv2 in the Region where the fellowship is.

Despair shadow
Every Nazgul in the fellowship region allow to reroll a hunt die.
He sees, he knows
If the fellowhip is declared in a region which is not a FP stronghold, you can immediately move the WKv2 to this region.

Balrog of Moria Level : 0, Leadership 3
If the WichKing is not into play, play a muster die to bring the Balrog and a Mordor unit in Moria. The political counters of Elven, Drawf and North nations one step. Balrog brings another action die.

Fire and Shadow
If the fellowship goes through a region where the Balrog is, draw a Hunt tile. If it is an Eye, discard both the Balrog and the Guide of the fellowship.
Udun flame
Add +2 to the Combat Strength of an army accompanying the Balrog.

The Balrog is not considered as a Minion to put Gandalf the White into play.
If the Witchking is into play, the Balrog does not bring another action die.
(NOTE : an event card gives the Balrog a level 2)

Corsairs of Umbar Shadow faction
If Soutrons & Easterlings nation is at war, bring this faction into play using a muster die. Put two ships in Umbar.

Black Ships
Use a Muster die to put a ship and a regular S&E unit in Umbar.

The corsair ships are not shadow army. They can be muster only using the Black Ship rule and if Umbar is controled by the Shadow player. The ships can only enter coast region and are not mixed with other shadow units in the same region. They do not count toward the population limit and are not considered as an army. Ships are not affected by ennemy units. (NOTE: the rules states further rules concerning this faction (as for all factions...))

The Dunlendings Shadow faction
When Isengard is at war, bring this faction into play using a muster die. Place 2 Dunlendings in each location of Dun country.

Kill the Forgoils(???)
Use a Muster die to put 2 Dunlendings in a region in Isengard or Rohan containing a shadow army (not in a besieged army).

A hit eliminate two Dunlendings instead of one (a Dunlendings is a entire unit for purposes of combat cards).

The Ents of Fangorn FP faction
If Sarumane is in play and if a Companion is in Fangorn, bring this faction into play using a Muster die. Put an Ent in Fangorn.

Treebeard
If a Companion is in Fangorn, every time the Shadow player use the Rule Sarumane's voice (described on Sarumane's card), put an Ent in Fangorn.

Ents are not FP units and follow special rules. Ents can only be mustered using Treebeard rule or one of the three cards "Waking of the Ents".

Ents are separated from other units in the same region, can not be attacked, nor affect ennemy units movements, and does not count towards population limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Meriläinen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
VHache wrote:

Smeagol enters the fellowship as soon as a Smeagol Hunt Tile is drawn. Smeagol is always the Guide.

Fire and Shadow
If the fellowship goes through a region where the Balrog is, draw a Hunt tile. If it is an Eye, discard both the Balrog and the Guide of the fellowship.

Does this mean that Smeagol and Balrog can kill each other during their duel on the bridge of the Khazad-dum?!

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Meriläinen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
...and if so, Smeagol is not really killed, only separeted from the fellowship (and he turns to Gollum). So poor old Smeagol is actually able to beat the Balrog!

I WILL NEVER AGAIN DOUBT THE MIGHT OF SMEAGOL THE GREAT!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha Meriläinen
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
Can you imagine how it would look like...

The mighty Balrog steps to the bridge of the Khazad-Dum. Instead of facing the demon themselves, Aragorn and Gandalf carry struggling Smeagol and throw him to the bridge. Balrog raises his flaming sword and Smeagol mumbles:

"Black fire does not help you... (GOLLUM) ...the flame of Udun... (GOLLUM) You shall not pass... it is MY PRECIOUS!"

angry

Balrog gives a huge blow with his sword and for a moment you are not able to see anything. When the smoke and flame vanish Smeagol stands there alone.

"They tried to take IT away from us...(GOLLUM) Nasty demons! (GOLLUM)"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Houlès Vianney
France
Rennes
France
flag msg tools
Philip Thomas wrote:

I checked the new combat cars: all the FP combat cards are related to the Siege Engines. So, no.

Shakaali wrote:
Does this mean that Smeagol and Balrog can kill each other during their duel on the bridge of the Khazad-dum?!
laugh

I assume so...

May you tell me when Battles of the third age is due to arrive on stores in the US (or if it is already arrived)? Just to know if it is useful I continue to provide you information.

CEBA put the whole rules in this topic:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/106123

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.