Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
In its relentless effort to justify the boondoggle that is Pennsylvania's voter-ID law, the Corbett administration is wasting $1 million in taxpayer funds on a media blitz that at best will annoy voters and at worst will disenfranchise them.

This is happening even though Commonwealth Court Judge Bernard McGinley, who is considering a challenge to the voter-ID law, ruled in August that it would not apply to the Nov. 5 election. Nonetheless, the voter-ID ideologues have produced a 30-second television commercial that's confusing enough to create the mistaken impression that official photo identification will be required to vote next week. At one point in the ad, an announcer says voters won't need an ID but then abruptly goes on to explain how to get one.

Proponents of the law, enacted in March 2012, say they want to wipe out voter fraud. But the voter impersonation the law would prevent is so uncommon that the state was unable to produce a single verified case of it. That doesn't mean it never happens, but it does mean that this approach to preventing it is like using a wrecking ball to kill a gnat.

Democrats have criticized the law as an unnecessary obstacle designed to hamper their likely supporters, including the elderly, minorities, students, and people with disabilities. About 500,000 Pennsylvanians could be denied the right to vote if the law goes into effect.

During a three-week trial this summer, those challenging the law pointed to numerous instances of legitimately registered voters being needlessly hindered. A Beaver County woman testified that her daughter had to take her on a 2 1/2-hour round trip to get a qualifying ID, only to be forced to make several repeat trips. A Berks County woman had so much trouble getting an ID that she gave up.

State workers admitted sending out inaccurate information about where and when individuals could get photo IDs. Internal memos showed bureaucrats so concerned that elderly voters wouldn't be able to get IDs that they suggested letting them all vote with absentee ballots.

And now, rather than letting people vote in peace while the law is on hold, the administration is responding with an ad campaign that's bound to keep the confusion going.

Soon after the legislature passed the voter-ID bill last year, House Majority Leader Mike Turzai (R., Allegheny) famously admitted that it was intended to help Republican Mitt Romney carry Pennsylvania in the presidential election. Fortunately, the courts kept the law from being implemented in November.

Gov. Corbett's own reelection bid will culminate next fall, and polls indicate he is in trouble. He could help himself out of it by asking the legislature to repeal this cynical law. State Rep. Dwight Evans (D., Phila.) has already introduced a bill to do just that.

Instead of voter ID, Corbett should be focusing on properly funding education and transportation and shoring up the state's economy. Meeting those challenges is harder than confusing voters, but it's more worthwhile.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/opinion/inquirer/20131028_Inqui...

We can always use more voter id threads right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well its one way to tie BJ down to continuous 10 page threads re-running the same arguments on voter integrity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Corbett let a child predetor walk free for years to persue a personal vendetta. The guy can rot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is only a waste of money when Republicans spend it ?

How many millions have been wasted on Democrat efforts to attack the 2nd amendment ?

nuff said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
nuff said.

... no...

You seem to think people understand just to what you refer to way too often.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:

No, I just know that I am one of the few here who actually use reason instead of emotion.

buck up little camper , one day your testicles will descend !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
No, I just know that I am one of the few here who actually use reason instead of emotion.

Comedy gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

Are you somehow reasoning that there is a point to this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I think he's in the smile and nod territory, mate. If you disagree he may become violent and hurt himself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

The point is obviously to let Paul know about the impending descent of his testicles. Forewarned is forearmed, or so they say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I have come to appreciate jeremy and his contributions here. When he starts posting... I know the usefulness of the thread is done.

jeremy is the canary in the RSP coal mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

The point is obviously to let Paul know about the impending descent of his testicles. Forewarned is forearmed, or so they say.

That is an expansion I haven't seen yet: "Descent: The Fall of Paul's Stones." And hope to never see....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:

and yet here you are , remember back when your posts were funny and interesting ? neither do we.

Stay classy my democrat friends, stay classy.
(this catch phrase is really catching on with you kids !)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
El Chupacabratwurst
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

and yet here you are , remember back when your posts were funny and interesting ? neither do we.

Junior is neither classy nor a democrat, but close!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Then why is nobody using it but you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

# Thread starts
# jeremy shows up and tries to make a point*
# Any discussion of the subject at hand stops and the subject becomes jeremy and his utter ineptitude
# I point out the fact that when jeremy shows up, discussion of the subject stops
# jeremy feels vindicated by my observation

I --REALLY-- need a flowchart on this.

* At least I assume that's what he's doing. It's hard to tell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
At least I assume that's what he's doing. It's hard to tell.

I merely comment on the story or article and address the person who posted, I cant help so many of the moonbats want to make it about me. I guess I should be flattered ? perhaps many of you need a father figure , that would certainly explain things.

"that's how we follow, because Simon says" its just not as catchy, sorry Simon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
# Thread starts
# Any discussion of the subject at hand stops and the subject becomes jeremy and his utter ineptitude
# I point out the fact that when jeremy shows up, discussion of the subject stops

But this topic *is* about Jeremy Cobert. I mean, his name is right there in the title.

jeremycobert wrote:
"that's how we follow, because Simon says" its just not as catchy, sorry Simon.

What pity, it's such a nice solecism...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Les Marshall
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:

Narcissistic delusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
bjlillo wrote:
They got pushed back up with his teeth after the accident, right?

This is a detail of the accident no one wanted to know.

But as anyone who rides a high end cycle can tell you - those seats have zero padding, its just a plastic form.

Before my face hit the street, it was rather... jarring.

I believe dogs heard me scream miles away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GameCrossing wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
GameCrossing wrote:

# Thread starts

It's the Cobert Thread Topicality Corollary to the Tripp Self-Topicalization Theorem, which states that any thread in which Tripp posts will inevitably become a thread about Tripp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djgutierrez77 wrote:
lfisher wrote:
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:

I'm pretty sure neither Paul nor any other man wants a forearm to the testicles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Junior McSpiffy
United States
Riverton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:

Ignoring the fact that I appreciate how well she stuck the landing..... WHY?!?! How badly would you have to lose a bet for that to be the payoff?

But on to the substance of the OP: the article is clearly written with a leftie slant, with the common catcall of "All he has to do to gain favor with the public is do what my half of the public wants instead of what the other half of the public wants." The part that I found painful was how the article said 500,000 people could lose the right to vote, and wrapped it up by sharing anecdotal stories of people who struggled to get their photo IDs.

This has been the law for two years, right? Two years? So all these people have had two years to get photo IDs, and we're just hearing about it now in the eleventh hour of the campaign? Look, I admit that the ad campaign is a pretty screwball thing to do, especially if it's geared to make it more confusing for those who are having a hard time of it (which I don't doubt is the case since local politics is usually "Party Above All"), but to act like these people had two years to get their affairs in order and get a photo ID but weren't able to do it.... I would need to hear the anecdotal evidence spelled out to me for one single, solitary voter for whom that is a hardship where they expect to make it to a polling place on a particular day but can't make it to get a photo ID within a two year window.

Did I mention they've had two years to get this done?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I first thought I read "Jeremy Cobert wastes $1 million", and I wasn't surprised.

Also, you're saying "buck up little camper" to Paul?shake I guess you are unfamiliar with his many thoughtful and mature posts(no sarcasm), otherwise you wouldn't say associate him with childishness. If you're going to stay around, at least try to get to know people's personalities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.