A Game of Thrones: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some noob multiplayer questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We've only played one game (3-players) and I have a few questions - because I think we did some things wrong.

1) When there's an initiative tie (plot phase) - how do we determine who go's first?

2) In the plot phase, if player A wins initiative, does that person decide all turn orders, or is turn order based on initiative?

3) When exactly do you choose your roles (master of coin, etc.) - before the plot phase? How do you determine who picks first, second, etc. Are roles picked once per round?

4) For the roles (master of coin, etc.), in 3-player, you pick 3 of the 6, then the remaining 3 must be chosen. How does it work in 4-5 player?

5) During the challenges phase, does the person going first do his actions, then 2P, then 3P, then the challenges phase is over - or can you 'pass' to take either all your turn, or part of your turn after another player?

6) Do cards only go in the 'dead' pile if they're killed in combat?

7) When a round ends - do you discard your plot card? What happens when all plot cards are discarded - do you reshuffle them back in? Does the game end?

8) In 3 players, it seems as though getting to 15 power would take a long time.

9) In multiplayer games (4-5 player), it seems unfair if one person gets attacked once, leaving no defenders.. as all other players can just attack him then he'd get an unfair disadvantage (all his power stolen and all his cards discarded and all his creatures killed)

10) Can you respond in this game like you can in MTG? (ex: if someone kills my Arya - can I respond by kneeling an influence to take away someone's stealth - or is she automatically dead?)

Thanks everyone!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

1) When there's an initiative tie (plot phase) - how do we determine who go's first?

Whoever has less power in an initiative tie wins. If there's still a tie, determine randomly (die roll, coin flip, etc.)
BimmyJim wrote:

2) In the plot phase, if player A wins initiative, does that person decide all turn orders, or is turn order based on initiative?

No, initiative winner chooses first player, then play proceeds in clock-wise order for the entire round.
BimmyJim wrote:

3) When exactly do you choose your roles (master of coin, etc.) - before the plot phase? How do you determine who picks first, second, etc. Are roles picked once per round?

After plots resolve but before action window in the plot phase.
BimmyJim wrote:

4) For the roles (master of coin, etc.), in 3-player, you pick 3 of the 6, then the remaining 3 must be chosen. How does it work in 4-5 player?
All are returned at the end of every round.
BimmyJim wrote:

5) During the challenges phase, does the person going first do his actions, then 2P, then 3P, then the challenges phase is over - or can you 'pass' to take either all your turn, or part of your turn after another player?

Each player must take all of their challenges they wish when they are active player. It cannot come back around to you after you pass your opportunity to initiate challenges. (You still can perform other player actions though when another player is active.)
BimmyJim wrote:

When they are killed through any effect they go to the dead pile, including plot effects, other card effects, and game effects.
BimmyJim wrote:

7) When a round ends - do you discard your plot card? What happens when all plot cards are discarded - do you reshuffle them back in? Does the game end?
When you reveal your last plot, after any 'when revealed' effects resolve, the remaining plots in your used pile return to your plot deck to be chosen from in subsequent rounds. The 7th plot remains 'revealed' and will then be in your used pile when you choose next round from the other 6 remaining plots.
BimmyJim wrote:

8) In 3 players, it seems as though getting to 15 power would take a long time.

Not necessarily, since it can create a situation where the weakest player gets ganged up on. But the support system through titles can also create situations where you can only attack one person during challenges. It balances out, but imo 4 player is better.
BimmyJim wrote:

9) In multiplayer games (4-5 player), it seems unfair if one person gets attacked once, leaving no defenders.. as all other players can just attack him then he'd get an unfair disadvantage (all his power stolen and all his cards discarded and all his creatures killed)

It would be wise then for a player in that position to get titles that help him be supported by those most likely to take advantage, make deals with other players, and not kneel out his board to allow other players to farm power off of him. This is a frequent mistake I see of newer players, who tend to try to do all challenges, even if it leaves them in a position where other players benefit off of it.
BimmyJim wrote:

10) Can you respond in this game like you can in MTG? (ex: if someone kills my Arya - can I respond by kneeling an influence to take away someone's stealth - or is she automatically dead?)
No, there is no opportunity to trigger an Any Phase: action on a character that is moribund (see moribund rules in the FAQ on FFG's site). You can trigger passives and Response:, though. Your confusion is likely a result of your terminology. In AGoT each action fully resolves before anything else can be triggered. Take a look at the timing chart for more detailed info on timing.

*Edited for clarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Daniel! This helps a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo D'Elia
Brazil
Rio De Janeiro
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to respond but got ninja'd! ninja

Anyway, I highly recommend reading the FAQ: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/agotlcg/suppor...

It should help you understand a lot of the timing in the game as well as clear some of your other doubts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:

99% of the time, yes.

Cards can also go to the dead pile by other card effects. Some event cards are 'Deathbound' and go to the dead pile once used:

Some cards will put cards in the dead pile without actually killing the character:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danach81 wrote:

BimmyJim wrote:

No, there is no opportunity to trigger an Any Phase: action on a character that is moribund (see moribund rules in the FAQ on FFG's site). You can trigger passives and Response:, though. Your confusion is likely a result of your terminology. In AGoT each action fully resolves before anything else can be triggered. Take a look at the timing chart for more detailed info on timing.

*Edited for clarity.

Does this only count for combat? What about out of combat (such as an event card killing Arya - can I respond then?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BimmyJim wrote:
danach81 wrote:

BimmyJim wrote:

*Edited for clarity.

Does this only count for combat? What about out of combat (such as an event card killing Arya - can I respond then?)

No, you cannot take actions while in the moribound state regardless of what caused it (plot, claim, deadly, event, etc.) or what type of moribound (dead pile, hand, discard pile, etc.). Once it has fully resolved, you can continue taking actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
BimmyJim wrote:
danach81 wrote:

BimmyJim wrote:

*Edited for clarity.

Unfortunately, you're going to have to forget the Magic LIFO stack when it comes to this game. There is literally no stack concept.

You're also mixing spoken English with game-reserved words. To Respond in AGoT is to literally trigger a Response effect. An Any Phase effect is not a Response effect. Only Response effects can be triggered during the resolution of another effect. A given effect must fully resolve before a new Any Phase effect can initiate. This includes the resolution of game mechanics like Claim (killing/discarding/stealing power for a challenge resolution).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdc273 wrote:

Unfortunately, you're going to have to forget the Magic LIFO stack when it comes to this game. There is literally no stack concept.

This may prove difficult for a MTG veteran.. sigh

I guess I have no choice!

Thanks again all.

(BTW - I say tap instead of kneel, and possibly said mana instead of gold once or twice) ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MD Chis
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Hah!

I still say tap instead of kneel on occasion. Especially when not specifically talking about an AGoT card's text. "Oh yea! Like how Attack from the Sea taps out your locations."

I actually prefer tap for certain lingo because "knelt out" just doesn't have the same feel to it for me. People very rarely will ask me what I mean since tap is pretty well known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.