Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally keep three or four player decks built at any given time. At the moment I have a hobbit deck (fresh off of several complete playthroughs of Dark Riders), a pair of decks built around rangers and traps and other stuff to let them work, and an outlands deck that I don't play very much. I started out this quest with my ranger/backup decks. Long story short, my heroes ended up in orc cookpots in like three turns.

Fine, I said. Many quests kill you first try. I'll put in a little more combat power, a bit less location control, and try again.

Cookpots again.

I tried a few more times before I came to the sad conclusion that my rangers were not good enough to hang out with Faramir. It was going to take some outlanders.

What I didn't count on was the fact that the orcs were still hungry, and the cookpots soon overflowed with tender delicious outlander meat.

I must have played this mission 6 times before I managed to plow through it with a taylor-made deck with every single munchkinly non-thematic power card I could fit. If you like rebuilding your deck for a mission, this is one for you! If, on the other hand, you have a favorite deck that has served you well so far Against the Shadow, you're in for a rude awakening.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
You don't need a Test of Will! What insanity is that? When I realized that Fantasy Flight had finally made a quest that doesn't require that card, it became a lot easier to build the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of Lore
Hong Kong
Tai Tam
flag msg tools
mb
My Blood of Gondor AP finally arrived!

This has been my longest wait for a new pack since The Steward's Fear and I was chomping at the bit. Playing solo, I too witnessed the Outlands deck fall quickly on successive attempts.

Then I pulled out a mono-Tactics deck that I'd put together for cooperative play and never expected to stand on its own. With Legolas, Gimli, and Beregond along with some weapons and Eagles, this deck was able to win a well-battled game. The first hidden card was not an enemy though, which helped considerably, and I didn't lose a hero to a 4 card shadow chain like I did in my first playthrough.

I found that I didn't use Lord Alcaron or Faramir's ability as I just turned over the hidden cards at the beginning of the combat phase every time during Phase 1A (and it seems you couldn't use his combat action until after turning those cards over) but their extra attack came in handy. Is there any reason not to turn over the hidden cards every combat phase? What's to be gained by letting them pile up?

Overall, it was quite a fun battle-oriented quest. Those players who like to block and slash should have plenty to enjoy here!

Thematically, I was a bit disappointed with the Black Númenorean. For such a figure shrouded in mystery, I'd have liked to see him do more than stand menacingly in the staging area for a couple rounds and then die. I loved the lore and unique effects of The Steward's Fear villains and felt this guy was underdeveloped.

Also, I'd been looking forward to running a trap deck with Faramir now that Anborn and the Poisoned Stakes are out and this AP has Faramir as an ally objective! Argh! And [SPOILER ALERT], Faramir is captured at the end of this quest and so it seems he will be off limits as a hero for the final scenario as well. Being unable to use such a popular Gondor hero for 1/3 of the Gondor-themed cycle is a shame...

In summary, it was fun to play solo with a Tactics deck that I never thought I'd use outside of co-op. I didn't really find myself making meaningful decisions with the new mechanics though, never using Alcaron or Faramir's ability and simply turning over hidden cards every combat phase. Unless I'm missing something strategically, would you do it any other way? I look forward to trying it co-op to see if there's more decisions to make as that seems to be the trend with recent quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Jennings
United States
El Cerrito
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true, the only time I used faramir's ability was when a shadow effect dumped more hidden cards on me. When I played with a less aggressive deck, trying traps and such, I let the hidden card build up a bit in phase two. I had already killed the black numenorian, so there wasn't any reason to not let them pile up, and because it was a battle phase I was sending all my good attackers out to quest, leaving me fairly defenseless.

Needless to say it didn't work and I lost, but I can imagine if your deck isn't sufficiently combat-focussed you might let them pile up instead of engaging them, especially if you already have some enemies to deal with. You had better plan on winning fast though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Dobranic
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the officiall difficulty level of this scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The DL is 6, but nobody takes that pile of puke spitted out by a RNG seriously anyways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oleg volobujev
msg tools
mbmb
Yes this quest is hard and unpredictable as well. I love it! Morgul Vale should be even better. So last 3 quests in third cycle looks really ok.

Steward fear Assault on Osgiliath, Blood of Gondor and Morgule vale is good quests. 4 good quests from 6 is not bad at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Wilton
CT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
It's true, the only time I used faramir's ability was when a shadow effect dumped more hidden cards on me.

I don't believe this is possible. There isn't an action window once you have begun resolving the enemy attack and flipped the shadow card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Quote:
It's true, the only time I used faramir's ability was when a shadow effect dumped more hidden cards on me.

I don't believe this is possible. There isn't an action window once you have begun resolving the enemy attack and flipped the shadow card.

There's no action window between flipping the shadow card and resolving it, but there is an action window between resolving the shadow and assigning damage. And of course, there's an action window *after* the enemy attack is done. I doubt the poster tried to use Faramir's action during the resolution of the shadow itself, there'd be no benefit.

In the case of Faramir's combat action in that scenario, you would want to wait until *after* all the enemies have attacked and it is your turn to attack, so if an enemy survives the reveal it can't attack you, but you can attack it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.